What did you cross this year?

I’ve been looking forward to the obligatory thread on What Did You Cross and haven’t seen it, so…

in accordance with my take on a possibly familiar internet meme:

[attachment 828 crossall.jpg]

here’s what I’ve crossed this year:

“Fa’s Marbled Moss” with

Every rose I own. Literally.

R. woodsii ultramontana with

“Fort Pella Purple”

Midnight Blue

La Belle Sultane

“Fa’s Marbled Moss”

R. arkansana “Dots Enuf”

R. arkansana “Yipes Stripes”

Persian Yellow

Basye’s Purple

Dr Huey

Hansa

Stainless Steel

Plotz of Spots

R. glauca

R. arkansana “Dots Enuf” with

as above plus

Dr. Huey

Midnight Blue

Hansa

Golden Celebration

“Morning Stars” (a spotted Alba, spots are only visible before whole flower fades)

Eyeconic Lemonade

“Forty-Two”

Song of the Stars

“Forty-Two” with:

as above plus:

Golden Celebration

Purple Tiger

La Belle Sultane

Dragon’s Blood

Alain Blanchard

Nuits de Young

Henri Martin (Old Red Moss)

Dr. Huey

Plotz of Spots

Song of the Stars

(I’m back-crossing it with both its parents to see … what happens.)

Miscellany:

Tuscan Sun x Tuscany Superb (both ways)

Golden Celebration x R. glauca

Oranges ‘n’ Lemons x Purple Tiger

Hansa x Dragon’s Blood

Tuscan Sun x “Forty-Two”

Capitain John Ingram x Golden Celebration

Tuscan Sun x Midnight Blue

and I’m sure there are some I’ve forgotten.

So… what have you been up to?

Many of our crosses fall into three categories:

1. R Virginiana pollen onto moderns; maybe some seedlings will have Rv’s foliage, although this hasnt been very successful in past.

2. Lions Rose crosses: such crosses have produced very healthy seedlings in past.

3. Elina pollen applied extensively: elina seedlings often have blooms with excellent form and large size. Size matters!

I am just going to list the ones I did alot. Their are several ones that may have one to three hips but these crosses have ten or more.

Anne Endt x Hot Tamale

Anne Endt x Cupcake

Anne Endt x Gala

Anne Endt x (Rise n Shine x L83)

Newport Fairy x Scabrosa (most of these have failed already)

Newport Fairy x Hot Tamale

Hansa x Hot Tamale

Darts Dash x Hot Tamale

Darts Dash x Cupcake

Sequoia Gold x (Rise n Shine x L83) The pollen parent came about from L83 pollen from Paul Barden

Sequoia Gold x {((Folksinger x Illusion) x Carefree Beauty)op} Pollen parent seed was from Henry Kuska

The resulting plant is a small pink shrub. Does not look like it repeats bloom. Seems very hardy and is powdery mildew resistant. It has been hit by blackspot but it also gets hit by the neighbors sprikler every night.

Sequoia Gold x Love & Peace (Lim)

Sequoia Gold x Eyeconic Pink Lemonade

Hot Tamale x Eyeconic Pink Lemonade

Hot Tamale x Love & Peace (Lim)

Hot Tamale x Fa’s Marbled Moss This pollen is from Fara.

Suntan Beauty x Eyeconic Pink Lemonade

Suntan Beauty x Love & Peace (Lim)

Gala x Love & Peace (Lim)

Gala x (Rise n Shine x L83)

Winsome x (Rise n Shine x L83)

Have no idea if Secret Recipe is a good seed parent.

Secret Recipe x (Rise n Shine x L83)

Secret Recipe x Fa’s Marbled Moss

Testing this as a parent with some of the healthier roses

Gene Boerner x (Rise n Shine x L83)

Gene Boerner x Baby Love

Gene Boerner x Easy Does It

Most of these Teddy Bear crosses have failed. Last year it was a decent parent this year a horriable one.

Teddy Bear x (Rise n Shine x L83)

Teddy Bear x Eyeconic Pink Lemonade

Teddy Bear x {((Folksinger x Illusion) x Carefree Beauty)op}

This one seed parent has set defently set hips. Now we will see if they sprout.

{((Folksinger x Illusion) x Carefree Beauty)op} x Suntan Beauty

{((Folksinger x Illusion) x Carefree Beauty)op} x Pam’s Choice

As a seed parent this seedling has failed. A few of the Love & Peace ones remain

(Rise n Shine x L83) x Love & Peace (lim)

(Rise n Shine x L83) x Touch of Class

(Rise n Shine x L83) x {((Folksinger x Illusion) x Carefree Beauty)op}

(Rise n Shine x L83) x Intrigue

(Rise n Shine x L83) x Pam Choice

Pam’s Choice x Baby Love

Have not really tried this as a parent in the past

Ballerina x Sequoia Gold

Ballerina x Hot Tamale

Ballerina x Suntan Beauty

Ballerina x Newport Fairy

Ballerina x Gala

Ballerina x Teddy Bear

Easy Does It x Sterling Silver

Easy Does It x Touch of Class

Easy Does It x (Rise n Shine x L83)

The second flush on Gala is starting to open and I am going to finish the Fa’s Marbled Moss pollen on it.

The blooms left on ballerina, Hansa, Darts Dash and Anne Endt will be the miniatures I have not used yet on them.

R. foliolosa over the past several years I have hit it with species and rugosa pollen. This year I am going to hit it with mostly miniature and some pollen from Newport Fairy.

Most of the crosses I’ve done so far used the species R. rubus as one of the parents. Here are some that I remember off the top of my head:

R. rubus x (The Gift x unknown)

R. rubus x (Mr Bluebird x unknown)

R. rubus x (Lyda Rose x Lorraine Lee) *

R. rubus x Lyda Rose

R. rubus x Lilac Charm

R. rubus x Magic Wand *

R. rubus x Mons. Tillier *

R. rubus x Mutabilis *

R. rubus x Robin Hood

R. rubus x Excellenz von Schubert

R. rubus x Fabulous!

R. rubus x R. transmorrisonensis

• marks the the ones that I’ve done the most. I also did the reverse cross in most cases. I haven’t used R. rubus before, so I don’t know how fertile it is when crossed with other roses. I haven’t done as many crosses as I would like because the #$^&@ deer keep eating the buds before I can get to them.

Blue For You x Eyes For You--------> poor seed set, got a small number of seeds per hip ------->zero germinations… seed was opened and confirmed useless.

The Fairy x OP R. clinophylla ------->seed collected, but later thrown out, lost interest in clino.

The Fairy x OP R. foliolosa ------> several false hips / zero seed inside.

Flower Carpet White x Eyes For You ----> Late pollinations, got some hips which are still ripening / still green (winter now).

Ebb Tide x Eyes For You -----> several rounds over the entire season all failed to set hips, the last lot of pollinations resulted in 7 hips, now starting to change color in early winter (some still green tho, I am leaving them all on the bush till they all turn orange).

Ebb Tide x Alain Blanchard -------> zero hips.

Gardener’s Glory x St Patrick ----> 6 hips, taking foreverrrrrrrrrrrr to turn color (still green after any months on the bush…based on that I know I should collect 'em … but… I’m scared to do so … lol).

Gardener’s Glory x Alain Blanchard ------> zero hips.

Double Knock Out x various ------> zero hips.

Pope John Paul II x Eyes For You -----> zero hips.

Jubilee Celebration x Eyes For You ------> late single pollination on a very tiny plant gave a surprisingly easy take and a nice fat hip, still green almost ready to turn color now in early winter.

I did not collect OP seeds (EDIT : ohh…yes I got some OP from Elina and got zero germinations…but maybe I should have collected more OP seeds especially off some of my diploids e.g the Fairy, and some other OP seedling diploids I have).

I did 76 crosses and then we had a day hit 111 and boom, MOST of them were lost, except for the ones that I did very early in April. All I can say is:

:frowning:(((((((((((( @#$%^&*()_!!!

Anyway, I will have to rely on those and some open pollinated blooms to feed my hip harvesting in August.

You’ll notice I used a lot of McCartney, not that it’s a particularly good parent (it’s not) but I’m hoping to import the mother plant’s growth habit and health into the seedlings but keep the McCartney fragrance (and maybe color) in the seedlings. I have done that in the past, getting one very nice healthy seedling with that great perfume.

Fabulous! makes a great mother, producing lots of mildew-proof offspring and often good heat resistance, too. Unfortunately many of the seedlings tend to be white.

Sweet Milo is one of my seedlings that is INTENSELY fragrant with a delicious baby powder & spice fragrance that often can be detected from 4 feet away. Great color too, and mildew resistant. 'Sweet Milo™' Rose

So here’s what’s left of those that I pollinated:

Lynn Anderson x Frivolous Pink (said to be sterile and this is the first time the pollen has been successful for me - YAY!)

Lynn Anderson x Crescendo

(Diana, Princess of Wales x Marilyn Monroe) x Lynn Anderson

Marilyn Monroe x (Louise Estes x Marilyn Monroe)

Julia Child x McCartney

Fabulous! x Julia Child

Fabulous! x Chihuly

Fabulous! x Sweet Milo

Fabulous! x Bees Knees

Fabulous! x McCartney

Flower Power x McCartney

Diana Princess of Wales x Marilyn Monroe

(Louise Estes x Marilyn Monroe) x Julia Child & Sorbet Bouquet (mixed pollen)

Figurine x Sweet Milo

Lynnie x Betty Boop

Lynnie x McCartney

Lynnie x Seedling of Route 66

Queen Elizabeth x Lynn Anderson

Sweet Milo x Wild Blue Yonder

Doctor John Dickman x Bees Knees

Those are some really fun combinations! I can’t wait to see what results from many of them. “Dots Enuf”, how fun!

My crosses have fallen into just a few “threads” this year.

1-72-1Hugonis (as seed and pollen parent) with:

Sunburn

Rayon Butterfed

Lauren

Wild Dancer

Doc

Secret Garden

First Impression

L56-1

Sweet Nothings

Astra

Pretty Lady

Indian Love Call

Mrs. Charles Bell

Lilac Charm

Prairie Lass

Cecil

Golden Wings

Gold Badge

Golden Horizon

Gina’s Rose

Pink Petticoat

Purpurea

Gloria Mundi

White Cecile Brunner

Pink Gate

DLFED4

DLFED3

Comtesse du Cayla

Tom Thumb

Pink Petticoat

Indian Love Call as seed and pollen with:

Pretty Lady

Tom Thumb

Secret Garden

April Mooncrest

Purezza

Banksiae lutescens

Purpurea

LynPoO

Doc

Wild Dancer

Werner von Blom

Comtesse du Cayla

Rayon Butterfed

Fedtschenkoana

Gardens of the World

L56-1

First Impression as seed and pollen:

1-72-1Hugonis

Banksiae lutescens (seed)

Purezza (seed)

Art Nouveau

Eyes for You

Persian Autumn (pollen)

Persian Flame (pollen)

April Mooncrest seed and pollen:

Tom Thumb

Werner von Blom

Gloria Mundi

Secret Garden

LynPoO

Rayon Butterfed

Eyes for You

81-02-09

Gardens of the World

Kordes Brilliant

Miracle on the Hudson

Old Master

Picasso

Cal Poly as seed:

Purezza

Banksiae lutescens

Fedtschenkoana

LynPoO

April Mooncrest

Rayon Butterfed

Lauren

Manetti as seed:

April Mooncrest

Secret Garden

Werner von Blom

Gloria Mundi

Lauren

LynPoO

Blue for You

And a ton of others I didn’t write down and can’t remember as I type these. I know the vermin and heat will get many of them, but hopefully, enough of the ones I really want will make it out the other side.

Fara… ‘Forty-Two’ x ‘Song of the Stars’ needs to be called ‘Douglas Adams’… or ‘So Long and Thanks for all the Fish’ :wink:

Here’s mine:

Alice Amos x ? (lost tag)

Alice Amos x DKO

Alice Amos x Purple Rain

Angel Wings x Titian

Borderer x ? (lost tag)

Borderer x Ebb Tide

Borderer x Mutabilis

Borderer x Wildcat

Bullseye x ? (lost tag)

Bullseye x Angel Wings

Bullseye x Anne Hall

Bullseye x Borderer

Bullseye x Brindabella Bouquet

Bullseye x DKO

Bullseye x Dresden Doll

Bullseye x Ebb Tide

Bullseye x Heritage

Bullseye x Iceberg

Bullseye x Mutabilis

Bullseye x Nuits de Young

Bullseye x Papageno

Bullseye x Rosa Davidii var elongata

Bullseye x Roundelay

Bullseye x Sunny South

Bullseye x Tuscany Superb

Bullseye x Wildcat

FCP x ? (lost tag)

FCP x Black Jade

FCP x Ebb Tide

FCP x Graham Thomas

FCP x Lorraine Lee

FCP x Wildcat

FCP x Borderer

FCP x Lav. Pin.

Fire n Ice x The Fairy

Fire n Ice x Wichurana

Immensee x bracteata

Immensee x FCW

Immensee x Mutabilis

Immensee x New Hampshire

Immensee x Old Port

Immensee x Papageno

Immensee x setigera

Immensee x Sinowilsonii

Many Happy Returns x ? (lost tag)

Many Happy Returns x Carabella

Mutabilis x The Fairy

Nahema x Bullseye

OPK206-1 x OP 0-47-19

Papageno x wichurana

Rugosity x Madame Joseph Schwartz

Rugosity x Wichurana

Softee x Bracteata

Softee x Cornelia

Softee x The Fairy

Sweetflora x M. Tillier

Temple Bells x DKO

Temple Bells x Madame Joseph Schwartz

Temple Bells x Sinowilsonii

Temple Bells x The Fairy

Temple Bells x Therese Bugnet

Thinleaf x Mutabilis

Thinleaf x The Fairy

Trier x Brindabella Bouquet

TTBL x Tarrawarra

Wildcat x Cornelia

Wildcat x Wichurana

FCW = Flower Carpet White

FCP = " " Pink

TTBL = Test Tube Baby Love

DKO = Double Knock Out

There is also a swag of OPs collected this year from things that interest me or were sent to me by friends from around the world.

When I was planning my crosses I made a spread sheet of the crosses I wanted to do over the next few years… this is a small fraction of them. I added another column of WHY I was doing the crosses. There are lots of crosses to go, mostly with tet. species while I wait for them to mature to flowering size/age. This year was the year of the wichurana-crosses. Names in blue are my own seedlings so won’t all have HMF listings… tho9ugh some do.

I think we should have some pretty amazing seedling photos for the next few years! Oh, I forgot Bashful added to the polys I played with and am playing with this year.

I’ve gone a little nuts with the pollen blending this year, thanks in part to the recent thread on the topic. I’ve also been way too busy and haven’t had nearly as much time to pollinate as I’d like.

Off the top of my head…

Morden Belle x Henry Hudson/Smoothie

Prairie Joy x HH/SM

Morden Belle x PDKO

PDKO Blend = Pink Double Knock Out/Harisons Yellow that had been sitting out for a week/((calocarpa x nutkana) x acicularis)–courtesy of Jackie

I put that on all sorts of things, including a nice Apothecary x Morden Blush or KO seedling that is blooming because of the severely mild winter.

Betsy’s Blend (rugosa pollen from B. V.d.H. that consists of Trollhatten, Magnifica, Schneekoppe, and Anne Endt) on:

Young Lycidas

Prairie Joy

Other things

PDKO x Prairie Peace

PDKO x Aurora (Erskine’s acicularis selection)

Prairie Joy x Prairie Peace

Carefree Beauty x Xanthina/Smoothie

Therese Bugnet x Xanthina/Smoothie

Home Run x OP Winnipeg Parks

Home Run x Aurora

My 11Z29 is a compact, single, everblooming, and healthy Prairie Joy x Knock Out seedling…used it on a lot of things including All a’Twitter and OR…can’t remember what OR stands for. Same for “CP” (aha…Cal Poly!) (aha…Orchid Romance!)

I’d better get off this iPad for now…

Kim, could you explain to me/maybe others the use of Manetti what you are looking for.

Here, it is totally healthy. It is very fragrant with massive clusters of quite lovely flowers. The sepals are extremely attractive. All the flowering growth is intensely scented (sepals, peduncles, etc.), and I don’t see anything “commercial” created from it. Moschata hybrids (not “hybrid musks”) are very successful here. They love this climate and I want to see what else might be possible. I have Secret Garden, the found Moschata type or hybrid (who knows?) and the escaped Manetti which are definitely out of Moschata. Lamarque is here and also intensely happy, but the prior two are much more closely related. Though Reve d’Or is traditionally held to be one, there is no provable link with Moschata, so I grow and enjoy it, but don’t wish to use it yet. Besides, RdO mildews and none of the others suffer that indignation.

So, it’s to see the “what if” in hopes of raising highly scented, climate suitable, repeat flowering roses (hopefully without prickles, but you can’t have everything) using material which hasn’t previously been explored in that direction. Besides, as Ralph always said when I’d ask why he used something, “because, I HAD it!”.

@Simon Yes! It must be called “Douglas Adams!” Great idea! Assuming I get something nice from it.

Re: heat and hips, I’ve been heavily watering my roses at night and lightly watering them a couple times a day

in this heat. Out here, one can water in the evening with impunity. Dry winds blow all the time and the plants

are dry within an hour.

My hips are coming along well–I’ve got a huge one on Hansa already-- although I’ve noticed that hips that

grew on their own are much larger than those pollinated by Yours Truly.

None yet, I don’t like to be rushed. Neil

Re: Heat and Hips - I generally don’t get hip loss once the hip is well established. But 110 temps with wind a few days after pollinating is not good. Currently it’s 113.5F in the yard. Humidity is 14%. How anything can live in that is amazing!

On the plus side, those seedlings from last year’s crosses, that are truely heat-resistant, will get a chance to show their stuff!

Re: Heat and Hips - I generally don’t get hip loss once the hip is well established. But 110 temps with wind a few days after pollinating is not good. Currently it’s 113.5F in the yard. Humidity is 14%. How anything can live in that is amazing!

On the plus side, those seedlings from last year’s crosses, that are truely heat-resistant, will get a chance to show their stuff!

Judith, though your heat is a few degrees higher than what I used to experience, it is pretty much in line with what I have encountered in Wasco where roses have been produced for decades. Most roses, though not at their beautiful best, produce the best plants with fewest diseases (provided water is sufficient) in high temps and low humidity like that. The best foliage I’ve ever grown was in high nineties to low hundreds, low humidity with hours of overhead, oscillating sprinkler for nearly a week many years ago in Newhall. Water wasn’t the issue it is now, so leaving the sprinkler on to flood the area wasn’t seen as ‘wasteful’ or otherwise bad. Those plants, leaves and flowers were positively stunning and huge! No bugs, no diseases and growth, flowers and leaves everywhere.

Dr. Heuy x (Rosa corifolia froebelii x rosa carolina)

(Rosa Corifolia froebeli x rosa carolina) x Shropshire Lass

Adam,

It’s good to see you getting some hips out of ‘Ann Endt’. It sets loads of OP hips here (I have about 50 atm full of seeds ready to go in the fridge if anyone wants some), but I’ve only been able to get modern pollen to stick to it once (‘Ann Endt’ x ‘Cricket’) and some animal ate it before I could harvest it. You’ve encouraged me to work with it more next season… rust is not an issue here so I am thinking I will pair it with ‘Playboy’ if I can finally get a ‘Playboy’ to grow (onto number three), ‘Ebb Tide’ and a few Teas. I found it hard to work with too as you have to get in really early to avoid selfing and it selfs very easily. It’s OP seedling, “Rugosity”, has proven to be a more reliable seed parent. I don’t know what the pollen parent was but it is semi-double, fully recurrent, and very fertile so far. Will be interesting to see if its seeds germinate as easily as 'Ann Endt’s seeds do.

Some very interesting crosses. Alot of these I can’t even begin to picture what will come out of them. So I can’t wait to see what comes from them.

Simon. It looks like 20% of the hips are sticking on Ann Endt. It seems all hips hold for 3 weeks and then over half fall off. I am not sure what percent on the other rugosas yet but it probably will be similar. I am sure there is plenty of selfs seeds in these hips. It has been pretty much impossiable for me to prevent some self pollunation. So I wet the stigma let it dry and do my best. I have been flooding the stigmas with the modern pollen. When I say flood I mean flood. I am only using the miniature pollen on a few thing so I figure what the hell I got plenty around and maybe this will improve the chances. I been trying on evey flower of these I can get a hold of. I just hope when it all said and done I have a few good hybrids and not selfs. I have not been able to get rugosa pollen to set on modern miniatures so maybe this way will work. If it does not work well I will try again and again until it does. I don’t really have much to loss and I have only so much room for seedlings that will take more than one year to bloom for the first time. So if most fail than that is all right. Maybe I will hunt down a plant of Anytime and try on it. It seems like it accepts anything. Good luck on your crosses. I do love how Anne Endt seed just germinates like weeds. It nice when you have a few plants that germinate like that considering all the roses that make you wait or totally refuse to germinate. Anne Endt may not be the best rugosa but it is an easy plant to work with. I can’t wait to see how Dart’s Dash does. This is the first year I will be able to use it. I will keep you posted on these crossses.