my 2006 hips sorted by seed parent and by pollen parent

I am trying the free Google spreadsheet feature. Please let me know if something does not work.

2006 hips sorted by seed parent:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxHhTw7ylg7-IvdLke9veKA

2006 hips sorted by pollen parent:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxHhTw7ylg7-rVL5ETQIfPQ

Looks good to me.

I will be interested in what comes out of your Sevilliana crosses. Wonder if you are going to see any sort of stippling in the offspring.

HMF has some stippled Sevilliana offspring, so it’s possible but I don’t know how likely.

Hi Henry,

Works also good for me. Great crosses !

Arnold

I haven’t used Sevilliana, but stippling from the other Buck roses like ‘Dorcas’ and ‘Spanish Rhapsody’ is easily transmitted.

Opps, sorry I used Sevillana not Sevilliana ( I had it spelled once correctly and once incorrectly).

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=5700

How well does it pass on the orange tones, Henry?

Jadae, I do not have enough information to answer your question. I am mainly interested in this rose because of its disease resistance, everblooming character, and winter hardiness. Also because it contains genes different than the Canadians, Bucks, and Kordes roses that I have been mainly using.

Okay, thank you Henry. I was thinking of putting it on R. virginiana and then back crossing to New Year x Baby Love, but I wasnt sure if I was wasting my time with the Meiland’s Sevillana.

For a number of years I have tried to germinate open pollinated seeds of Prairie Fire. Nothing to show for it.

I now have a hip from Carefree Sunshine using Prairie Fire pollen.

I have not yet cleaned my 2006 hips so I cannot say anything about the condition and number of seeds in the hip.

I can have Buck rose blinders on sometimes. I could have very easily looked at Sevillana and read Sevilliana.

I have now started to add the number of seeds found to my “Hips Sorted by Seed Parenrs” spreadsheet.

Please note, this is a “work in progress”.

Link: spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxHhTw7ylg7-IvdLke9veKA

On Tuesday March 10, I put my seeds in a 2 day saturated Bromelain/distilled water soak. After the soak, the seeds were placed on top of sand in Petri dishes in a freezer which contains red LEDS. The freezer is in our attached but unheated garage. The heat from the LEDS kept the temperature in the freezer in the middle upper 50s (Fahrenheit). So far, I have not had to turn the freezer on. The sand was wetted with a saturated Bromelain/distilled water solution that had 50 ppm of water soluble Gibberelic acid added to it. The water soluble Gibberellic acid was purchased from Super-Grow http://www.super-grow.biz/Products.jsp One very convenient aspect of their product is that they provide a small “scoop” and tables of how many scoops to use for different concentrations.

As of today I have had germinations from 4 different batches of seeds. I have added a “seeds germinated” column to my spreadsheet located at Google spreadsheets:

“2006 hips sorted by seed parent”

Correction to last post, March 6, not March 10.

It has been my general policy in the past to distribute “free” to others my excess rose seed. The normal criteria that I use to determine “excess” is to only keep a batch of seed until I have 15 germinations and then distribute the rest (of course there are exceptions - such as most of my Rugelda X R-15 crosses).

My first batch of 15 germinations has occured! It is (Hansa X (Therese Bugnet X OP) X OP) X OP.

If you are interested in seeds from this batch, please send me an e-mail request - do not post your request on this forum. Please include your post office address in a form such that I can simply cut it out and paste it to the envelope.

The procedure that I wiil use to determine who gets the seeds is a “first e-mail arrives - first gets”. I will probably be able to subdivide what I have so possibly the first 2 or 3 requestors will get some. There are NO restrictions on your use of these seeds. i.e. if one of them turns out to be the next “Knock-Out” - it is yours to profit from.

My second batch of 15 germinations has occured! It is ((William Baffin X OP) X OP) X OP. (The seeds are small; and so at first glance, do not look like much.)

If you are interested in the rest of the seeds from this batch, please send me an e-mail request - do not post your request on this forum. Please include your post office address in a form such that I can simply cut it out and paste it to the envelope.

The procedure that I wiil use to determine who gets the seeds is a “first e-mail arrives - first gets”. There are NO restrictions on your use of these seeds. i.e. if one of them turns out to be the next “Knock-Out” - it is yours to profit from.

I emailed you Henry, I hope you received it.

Henry, I’m curious, what does your ((William Baffin X OP) X OP) plant look like? Any sense as to if the OP is the result of a self pollination or an outcross?

Liz

Liz, the mother is my #387, a 2004 seedling of #187.

#187 is a 1998 open pollinated seedling of William Baffin. It has been a full grow “tree” for at least 3 years. It has a profuse bloom period for at least 3 weeks in late June and the first part of July. The flowers are fully double and pink. The flowers are not real large, but not small either. It is fertile both ways. No disease in my no spray garden and no freeze back here in zone 5 northern Ohio.

#387, I cannot say much about. My records state that it started to bloom on June 17. I did not record how long it continued to bloom. Obviously it is fertile, and the seeds germinate readily. My notes say the buds were pink but I did not record whether the flowers were single or double. I also have no notes about disease resistance.

Since I do not spray, I have a lot of bees; but it appears that most of my open pollinated seedlings are self pollinated - from their characteristics. However, since many of my roses are similar to start with; I cannot say for sure.

Henry, thanks for the info. The reason that I was/am curious is that I had one OP hip on my Champlain that had one seed in it and it germinated. Since it has a somewhat similar background to William Baffin I was just wondering if there was any serious signs of inbreeding depression. I also do not spray and have tons of bees in the garden, so it is possible that it is an outcross. The seedling does look really different than all my others, which was why I was thinking self rather than outcross. Time will tell, I hope.

Liz