Miniature seeds wanted

If anyone has extra seeds from disease resistant miniatures available please contact me. Thanks in advance.

Rob

The disease resistant might be an issue. Most miniatures are horrid in this respect.

That’s probably why I’m not getting any response. lol Thanks Adam.

Rob,

I can get you something from either ‘Gourmet Popcorn’ or ‘Abigail Adams.’ I’ve never tried to germinate the seeds from ‘Gourmet Popcorn,’ so I can’t tell how well the seeds germinate. ‘Abigail Adams,’ while a Hybrid Multiflora, has a lot of miniature genes in it. Germination percent is very good.

Andy

Andy,

Thank you for you generous offer. ‘Abigail Adams’ is too big a plant for my situation and Gourmet Popcorn is a diploid and when crossed with tetraploids will result in less fertile seedlings. I appreciate the offer though.

Rob

Andy,

I forgot to inlcude that ‘Abigail Adams’ is diploid I believe and would have the same issue as GP. Thank you again.

Rob

Rob,

I may have some OP seed from ‘Apricot Twist’ available in a month or two. That is almost the only tetraploid mini I would recommend for disease resistance, although depending on location, ‘Cal Poly’ can be equally clean. (In my zone it certainly is)

I’ll send you some from Dorothy Rose when I send the Rose Gilardi – I have germinated lots of them – they either make another mini single that looks very much like Dorothy Rose, or a dusky darkish red mini single, or a micro-sized striped single. I’m keeping one of the micro-sized ones.

Most of my roses get sprayed and deadheaded, so I can’t comment on disease resistance or hip set most of the time. But Dorothy Rose is out on a slope where I can’t easily get to it, and it’s covered with hips at the moment.

Paul,

Would love some ‘Apricot Twist’ if you have some available. AT is on my list of minis to buy for spring delivery. ‘Cal Poly’ is also on the list. Thank you for the offer!

Kathy,

‘Dorothy Rose’ would be greatly appreciated as is the ‘Rose Gilardi’ offer. I’m a fan of the stiped varieties. Thank you again.

Rob

Rob, I was going to offer hips from Show’n’Tell, which is spotless here. I went to collect them and the plant has been stripped by vermin. Would cuttings work so you could raise your own? Kim

Link: www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.5738

I hate when that happens. lol I would welcome the chance to try and root some cuttings. Were you thinking of now or spring? Thank you for the offer Kim.

Whichever is better for you, Rob. I also have Pink Petticoat and Rabble Rouser if you’re interested. You’re welcome! I have to cut some of the leggy growth off them because of shade issues right now, so there is material now or next year. Kim

Rob,

When I was in Richmond, VA, fall was the easiest time for me to root cuttings. Of course, it took from fall-winter-spring to root but it was no work at all.

I am about start some rootings now on LI, now that the weather has started to cool and after IRENE passes through

= :0( . Most of these are canes I accidentally broke while weeding and are now sitting in water.

I think I sent you my “lazy man’s” method of rooting cuttings in the fall. Richmond was zn7A as is Long Island, NY though a “colder” 7A.

Jim

Kim,

Thank you for the additional offer of cuttings. I’ll take you up on all three. :slight_smile: If you want to send them now that would be great.

Jim,

I do have your method of rooting and used it last fall to root my climbing miniature GIL-07-05 and hybrid rugosa ‘Ruglauca’ and had success with both attempts. Thank you!

Rob

Rob,

Glad the system worked. I was out in the NY bed a few days ago clearing an area of phragmites and japanese knotweed using hedge clippers to at least get rid of the tops…the roots will need roundup or brushkiller.

In my clumsiness, I cut a branch of Tausendschoen and two of Queen Bee. I always get so damn mad at myself when I do this. They are now sitting in water in the garage waiting for IRENE to pass through. Then I think I shall make some cuttings.

Did you buy Queen Bee by the way? I remember reading somewhere that Griffith Buck felt QB had a lot of further potential. I think it was one of the last he introduced.

Jim

Jim,

I did obtain Queen Bee this spring and it’s slowly getting adjusted to her new home. Have you used your QB at all so far for breeding and do you know about her fertility and health?

Rob

Definitely fertile. It is cold-prone, which is why JP off’d it off the market. It resuurected because of its show potential, and because of all of its sports. Like Bridal Pink and other Bridal Pink hybrids, its highly unstable in color.

I’m a little confused Michael. Are you refering to Buck’s Queen Bee? It’s listed as hardy to 5b and I didn’t see any sports or decendants listed. Thanks!

Rob

Oops, LOL. I was thinking of Bee’s Knees cause of the title origin being miniatures, lol.

:slight_smile: Now I’ll have to check out Bee’s Knees. lol