btw, for what it is worth, two of the most popular landscape roses before the Flower carpets came were Seafoam and Seviliana. Both were born from repeated batches of selfing. Selfing can be a nice route to take when trying to make desired traits more concrete.
Yeah, I’ll do both then. No point just sticking to strictly one particular ploidy, as it is all experimentation, really…
lol…it will be nice if any crosses with Euphrates work. Good luck to all others who also wanna try Euphrates, whether it is because its the only available hulthemia, or just for the heck of it!
“btw, for what it is worth, two of the most popular landscape roses before the Flower carpets came were Seafoam and Seviliana. Both were born from repeated batches of selfing. Selfing can be a nice route to take when trying to make desired traits more concrete.”
Hmmmmm… ‘Seafoam’ is a DOG here… defoliates at the drop of a hat… not a great recommendation for selfing here LOL Really good chance it will be shovel pruned this winter it is THAT bad.
That wasnt my point, though. Seafoam is also a hand eater, lol. My point was that specific traits were hammered in.
Just about every rose defoliates with BS here in Sydney, some a whole lot more than others of course. Sea Foam defoliates a fair bit here also, but its spectacular trailing white blooms do compensate some…its blooming trailing canes give a great white accent from afar in the landscape. When viewed close up, its impact is lost somewhat IMO.
Never mind Simon, you can replace yours perhaps with…Trier?!
Its easier to perceive roses like Seafoam or Seviliana (Meidiland) when you look at what existed in the 1960s and 1970s.
Nozomi and The Fairy (and probably a couple others)…
Harkness and Kordes didnt even come out with their The Fairy hybrids until the 1980s.
I didnt specifically mean to self these roses. I meant that the idea to self roses to isolate a specific trait (like ground hugging in Seafoam or hedge-trimmer-able orange like Seviliana) is always an acceptable option in rose breeding.
Jadae. Thanks for the advice about selfing. I fully understood it and actually couldn’t agree more with the strategy. Thank you also for explaining further with the Sea Foam example.
You have put quite a bit of time into this thread, to help me and others, and it is very much appreciated. Also, your knowledge in roses /rose breeding is pretty awsome IMHO!
Warning!
As stated before there is a constant confusion about selfing versus OP that is bee cross.
From writtings I looked years ago Seafoam is an OP from OP seedlings: no selfing here.
More than probably the same for Sevillana, I’ll ask Alain next time I meet him.
He was very young when he lost his father francis and did a lot of experimentings, some quite fruitfull.
That is interesting to know also, Pierre!
In the discussion with Jadae above, by “selfing” we both mean:
selfing = (Variety A x pollen of Variety A).
I know many on this forum have expressed a variety of opinions on how significant the risk is of foreign pollen contaminating OP hips, say by insects (compared to emasculating and covering the sefled hip after impregnating self pollen).
In my case, I probably would just leave it up to OP, and then weed out anything that does not appear as a self. In that case, I would record the seedlings that I thought were selfs as (vareital A x OP)…I would NOT record them as (varietal A x self).
Persian Flame finally bloomed today. It definitely has the wonderful Playboy foliage, which is good news. The plant shape is a tad floppy but healthy even if a tad …spiny? The hips definitely have spines. The pollen is red and gold, lol. The flower color is unlike any color Ive seen ona rose before. First off, the basic layers of the petals are deep ochre. Then, the face of the top petal layer is a very odd, vivid rustic scarlet-orange tone. The eye is black-red. The whole blooms is highly saturated. It reminded me of a potentilla.
Now, to see if it is fertile. I hope it is. I chose to try this one because the colors were contrasting, it looked healthy for its type and it was not mini. I’m going to try it on Summer Wind (Buck) and, if it blooms in time, Dreaming Spires.
Good luck…Persian Flame sounds, well…quite hot…LOL
My newly planted Jude The Obscure (which I still intend to cross with Euphrates) has started to flower for me, and is showing very healthy growth. Quite a pleasant surprise for my climate! So far, NO disease showing there.
I almost cancelled my Euphrates order the other day at the “eleventh hour”… I mean it is possible that very advanced persica hybrids are just about to hit our shores anyways…they would be MUCH easier to work with than Euphrates. Well, at the very least I have discovered a nice Austin (JTO) outta all this chat!
Jadae that is a beautiful description. It gives a very nice mental picture. I like the idea of the cross with Dreaming Spires.
Jude the Obscure is pretty awesome. It doesnt get too big either.
I think owning Euphrates on its own right is worth it though.
I finally decided to not experiment with Euphrates…I gave up before I even started on it…LOL
I am interested in tetraploid hulthemia hybrids, so if they come on shore here, I’ll play with them.
I might try and get a permit for hulthemia species import, which should be fairly easy I imagine, then try getting a tetraploid hulthemia hybrid OP seed here, to work with!
…or else just wait for some of them to get here as plants in the shops, whenever that happens…rofl.
Well…Australians reading here, be aware that Mistydowns nursery is having and end of winter price discount sale…their marketing worked on me and I finally took the plunge with one Euphrates plant, despite my conflicitng thoughts about it!.. at lest I got it a lot cheaper…LOL
I figured you would ![]()
lol…in that case you were darn right!!..thanks for not being too, well, harsh about my ridiculous indecision regarding this cultivar.
The truth is that I am very lazy thinking about all the years required to convert any Euphrates progeny to a tetraploid status…(which is part of the goal I seek anyways).
However as I move along this hobby in time, I am also getting more comfortable with issues relating to SLOWWWWWWWNESSSS.
BTW Michael, you did ask me to remind you about how your current season hulthemia crosses were going about now…so how are they developing?!