First germinations

It has started and I’m excited about the possibilities that may arrive.

OEPC-13-01 x ILC1-72-1. Seed parent is Oso Easy Peachy Cream x Op and pollen parent is Indian Love Call x 1-72-1

Oso Easy Strawberry Crush x ILC1-72-1

Hi Rob,

do not mean to steel your post here, but I am new to this interesting subject of Rose Hybred. Where can I find out what Ploidy a rose is such as the the Rose, “Just Joey”
Is there a website on this or how, I cannot find an answer.

Thanks

Lew

Lew,

You can find roses listed on HelpMeFind.com and if the ploidy is know it is usually listed there. Here is the link for Just Joey:

Given the parentage my guess is that JJ is a tetraploid. Hope this helps.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

But forJust Joey there is no memtion of the word tetraploid. Can you give me an example of a rose
that does show the Ploidy and I will know what to look for.

Thanks

Lew

That’s great Rob,
It’s always exciting to see little seedlings (the fruits of your labor) come up.

I have around 200 seedlings so far and counting. Here’s my list, the number at the right is the number of seedlings at present. B0101 (Doubled Rugosa) is the mother of the seedlings I sent you last fall.

01-064-1 (Prairie Princess x Louis Jolliet) x B0101 (Doubled Rugosa) 42
01-064-1 (PPLJ1) x E0301 (A3301(Hawkeye Belle x Ark-1) X Frontenac)) 13
01-064-1 (PPLJ1) x E3403 (Goldbusch x EGS1) 26
B0101 (Doubled Rugosa) x D2114 (Belle de Crecy x Frontenac) 2
B0101 (Doubled Rugosa) x Fiesta 2
B0101 (Doubled Rugosa) x Stanwell Perpetual 15
B0101 (Doubled Rugosa) x Therese Bugnet 25
B6901 (Showy Pavement x R.blanda) x Double Knockout 1
B6901 (Showy Pavement x R.blanda) x Prairie Joy 5
E0301 (A3301(Hawkeye Belle x Ark-1) X Frontenac)) x E3403 (Goldbusch x EGS1) 4
E2502 (B6901 x B4102 (Marie Pavie x R.blanda)) x Bonica 4
E2503 (B6901 x B4102 (Marie Pavie x R.blanda)) x B7501 (Ross Rambler #1 OP) 2
E2506 (B6901 x B4102 (Marie Pavie x R.blanda)) x Fiesta 3
E2506 (B6901 x B4102 (Marie Pavie x R.blanda)) x Metis 12
E2506 (B6901 x B4102 (Marie Pavie x R.blanda)) x Paprika 5
E2506 (B6901 x B4102 (Marie Pavie x R.blanda)) x Schneezwerg 8
E2507 (B6901 x B4102 (Marie Pavie x R.blanda)) x (1-72-1 x R.hugonis) 1
E2507 (B6901 x B4102 (Marie Pavie x R.blanda)) x Fiesta 1
E2804 (Belle de Crecy x B1301(CB x John Cabot)) x B3604 (HW x 1T20) 3
E2804 (Belle de Crecy x B1301(CB x John Cabot)) x Centennial Rose 2
Goldbusch x B7401 (Prairie Peace OP) 1
Metis x E2506 (B6901 x B4102) 2
E2502 (B6901 x B4102) x OP 17
E2804 (Belle de Crecy x B1301(CB x John Cabot)) x OP 4
MC1 (Morden Centennial OP) x OP 1

Marie Pavie x R. Blanda is a neat cross. Did you get many repeat seedlings out of that?

Thanks Judith,
I only got 4 seedlings from the Marie Pavie x R.blanda cross. R.blanda doesn’t repeat bloom and none of those 4 seedlings repeat bloomed either. MP x Rb is a pretty wide cross and two of the seedlings had growth issues and were culled. The other two grew well but one was completely sterile and was culled also. So that left one (B4102) which has minimal fertility both ways. I have grown OP seedlings of it and want to try some pollen on it but haven’t gotten around to it. The only time it’s pollen took was on its half sibling B6901(Showy Pavement x R.blanda) with the result of the (4) siblings (E2502, E2503, E2506 and E2507) in my list. Only E2506 has repeat bloom and I kept it along with E2502 which is the healthiest of them, the other two have been culled.

Thanks, interesting.

As far as my germinations this season, I’m being overwhelmed with open pollinated seedlings of Show n’ Tell. Still, I’ve gotten some interesting seedlings out of her in the past, so I am looking forward to what she produces. So far:

Show n’ Tell 50
Show n’ Tell x Imposter 3
Show n’ Tell x Halo Glory 7
Fabulous x Sweet Milo (Rt 66 x Seedling) 6
Loving Touch x (Dr. John Dickman x OP) 1
(Louise Estes x Marilyn Monroe) x Repeat flowering seedling of Paul Bardon’s 92-06-03 (a Hybrid Clinophylla) x OP 1
Imposter x OP 2
Marriotta x OP 5
(Sonia x Blue Girl) x OP 4
Dorcas x OP 4

[quote=“lboyko”]Thanks Rob,

But forJust Joey there is no memtion of the word tetraploid. Can you give me an example of a rose
that does show the Ploidy and I will know what to look for.

Thanks

Lew[/quote]

Just Joey’s parent, Fragrant Cloud, is listed as a tetraploid. See link. Welcome to the group Lew. :slight_smile:

Very interesting crosses Paul.

Judith, those are great crosses. I’m a big fan of stippling as well and have a number of my own roses that have stippling also. So I can understand why you’re excited to see the results.

Thanks Rob.

I’m especially interested in Show n Tell x Imposter. Both DR and neat, stipled blooms. Good luck with your crosses, Paul!

Today:

OSEPC (Oso Easy Peachy Cream x op) x WGAL (Westerland x (Golden Angel x L83))

OSEPC x Lemon Splash. Lots of ‘Rosa wichuraiana’ there.

Here’s one that I’m excited about:

OSEPC-13-1 x Jeri Jennings

Looking for health, yellow blend, full petals and some scent on a shorter stature plant. Want to capture some of JJ’s finer qualities.

Once again, I’m behind! Planted my first 500 seeds yesterday. Just have a few thousand more to go! I’ll be back on this thread in a few weeks, hopefully with some good germinations to report.

More germination:

Brite Eyes x ILC1-72-1

Hoping for something in the yellow to peach range of color, smaller stature, hardiness and resistance.

Interesting cross, Rob! I’m glad you are getting some use from ILCX1-72-1. The original seedling is gone, a casualty of the heat and drought extremes of this past summer.

Yes Kim, your seedling is turning out to be very productive so far this winter. I’m excited to see the first resulting blooms. Wouldnyou like me to arrange to get some plant material or a rooted section if possible to you?

Thanks, Rob, I should see what kind of room there will be first. Thank you, though. I do appreciate it. I sent a truck load of roses off with a friend this afternoon and discovered several which were the original reason for her making the trip down in the first place. I’ll know much more after the first of March. Thank you!

Good luck with the move, Kim!