First germinations

Thank you, Joe!

Today I have Lemon Splash x Orantida germinating. I’m very excited about this cross. Orantida is Kim Rupert’s Orangeade x R. Nitida so this seedling is 25% R.nitida. I hope resistance and hadiness will be passed on. Something other than pink would be nice. Lemon splash is a nice yellow mini with good resistance that blooms heavily. She is 34% R. wIchuraiana and 12% R. sempervirens. Hopefully combining the three species will impart excellent resistance.

OEPC-13-01 x (Keith’s Delight x (Srawberry Cream x 1-72-1))

Seed parent is: 'OEPC' Rose

Hoping for small stature, health and yellow, peach or apricot color.

A very interesting cross I think. One seed resulted and it has germinated.

ILC1-72-1 x Sunny Knock Out

Through Kim Rupert’s Indian Love Call, this seedling has the genes from Basye’s Legacy, Basey’s Amphidiploid and Commander Gillette. Through William Radler’s Sunny Knock Out there is genes from Brite Eyes and Stark Pink Lady. There’s a good mix of genes for health and hardiness. Very excited about this one.

Kim’s ILC1-72-1: 'ILC1-72-1' Rose

First two germinations up today!

Grace Seward x mixed “English” pollen (Golden Celebration, Tamora, Mary Rose)
Chipmunk x mixed “English” pollen

Now the fun begins!

Most interesting ones this year so far are 5 seedlings of R. fedtschenkoana and 4 of R. primula, all OP. The primulas are just starting to emerge. I am very curious what growth habits they will have and whether the foliage will be scented.

Exciting! Congratulations! I won’t even be planting mine until the second or third week in March, after I move.

Great crosses!

Where are you moving to Kim?

Morning Magic x Iconic Lychee Lemonade
Oso Easy Strawberry Crush x Iconic Lychee Lemonade

Hoping for health and strong blotches.

I like the MM x ECL cross, Rob! The large, single blossoms of MM and it’s vigor, health, and hardiness all should be a great complement to the hulthemia genes.

I agree with you Joe. Add a blotch to the mix and I’d be a happy camper.

Today I had (Cal Poly x R. arkansana hybrid) x OP germinate. Seeds that I received from this cross last season germinated really well and after culling, CPARK was the lone remaining seedling. A yellow, repeat blooming seedling with no thorns. The arkansana hybrid comes from David Z. He believes it to be R. arkansan crossed with a Carefree Beauty seedling. I hope I got that right. I’m hoping for something neat to come from this batch of seeds as well.

CPARK: 'CPARK' Rose

Today I have the first germination from a Oso Easy Strawberry Crush x MORsoul cross. This is the first F1 seedling from MORsoul for me and I’m excited to see what comes of this cross. The seedling is 25% R. Soulieana so I guess it can be qualified as a species hybrid. There are genes for the color orange on both sides as well as Hulthemia on the mom’s side.

I’m hoping for miniature, health, fertility and something other than pink or white.

MORsoul: 'Morsoul' Rose

Oso Easy Strawberry Crush: 'Oso Easy Strawberry Crush' Rose

Germinations so far:

Henry Kuska seedling x R. arkansana (4)

(Cal Poly x R. arkansana hybrid seedling) x Persian Sunset (1)

(Cal Poly x R. arkansana hybrid seedling) x ((Suntan Beauty X Abraham Darby) x R. arkansana)) (1)

Carefree Beauty x mixed pollen (15C-11, R. virginiana O.P.) (3)

(Carefree Beauty X R. arkansana) x O.P. (3)

(Distant Drums X found pink moss) x mixed pollen (Carefree Beauty, Cal Poly x R. arkansana seedling) (1)

Dr. Huey X O.P. (2)

found pink moss x O.P. (1)

found pink moss x R. arkansana (1)

Heinrich Karsch x (found pink china x Perle d"or) (3)

Heinrich Karsch x (R. soulieana x O.P.) (15)

(Heinrich Karsch x Veilchenblau) x O.P. (1)

Himmelsauge x O.P. (5)

Joycie x mixed pollen (Abraham Darby, Suntan Beauty X Abraham Darby, ((Suntan Beauty x Abraham Darby) X Distant Drums)), R. virginiana x O.P. (7)

Orange Honey x Persian Sunset (2)

R. arkansana x (R. virginiana x O.P.) (5)

R. foliolosa X Dr. Huey (3)

R. foliolosa x Heinrich Karsch (2)

R. foliolosa x Martha Gonzales (3)

R. palustris scandens X O.P. (1)

R. foliolosa x mixed pollen (1)

(R. virginiana x O.P.) x R. arkansana (7)

found pink china x (R. soulieana x O.P.) (5)

(Suntan Beauty X Abraham Darby) x mixed pollen (15C-11, This Is The Day, Dr. W. Van Fleet) (1)

(Suntan Beauty X Abraham Darby) x mixed pollen (Mrs. B. R. Cant, Tropicana)

The Henry Kuska seedling combines Calocarpa, R. nutkana and R. acicularis. The R. arkansana came as a sucker from Larry Davis (2 different clones). The arkansana hybrid seedling came as a sucker from David Z. 15C-11 came from John Jelinek. The R. virginiana O.P. seeds came from Dave Wolfe. The R. soulieana O.P. seeds came from Paul Barden.

Mark

There are some very interesting crosses there Mark

Today:

Morning Magic x ILC1-72-1

Brite Eyes x (Keith’s Delight x (Strawberry Cream x 1-72-1))

Mark,

How do R. arkansana, R. foliolosa, and R. virginiana do in your climate? Mississippi coast? I assume heavy blackspot pressure? For some reason I picture R. arkansana just defoliating down there. What about the Henry Kuska seedling? R. palustris?

Curious Joe

I can’t answer for Mark, but the R ark in KS don’t BS, they rust.

R. arkansana, foliolosa and virginiana do surprisingly well here on the Mississippi coast. I’ve never seen rust, and mildew is seldom an issue, so blackspot is the major issue I have to deal with. I like working at the species level, and I’ve tried growing quite a few. Many of them have never bloomed and eventually faded away. The reason arkansana, foliolosa and virginiana are represented so well above is simply that they survive and bloom well enough to give me the opportunities to use them. I initially received two clones of arkansana from Larry. The first did not much like it here and only survived a few years after being planted out in the garden. It just grew in reverse until it disappeared. I do have two OP seedlings from that arkansana that I haven’t used yet. The second arkansana clone has been in the ground a few years now and seems to be holding its own. Arkansana always looks ragged and somewhat unhappy here, but I don’t remember ever seeing any disease on it. It does drop some foliage in the heat of summer. I have two virginiana seedlings from Dave Wolfe. One is still potted and has never bloomed. It has suckered out of every hole in the pot. The second has been in the ground for a few years now and was covered in blooms last year. It has never suckered. Both virginiana seedlings suffer from some sort of spot issue (not blackspot) but hold on to their foliage and their vigor doesn’t seem to be affected. My R. foliolosa came from Countryside Roses before they closed and appears to be the typical pink form in commerce. I’ve never seen any disease on it, and I’ve discovered over the last few years that it will accept a wide variety of pollen and produce seeds which germinate readily. I’m using it more and more, but I need to move it because it’s too close to a large and growing water oak. I’ve grown a number of OP seeds from this rose, and they all looked like hybrids. I’m thinking it may be self-sterile. The Henry K. seedling is very healthy and has wonderful fall color. It’s also suckering far and wide. It hasn’t been very accepting of foreign pollen and its pollen hasn’t worked well either. I’m trying to find something modern that will work with it to tame the suckering and hopefully maintain the good health. I have a plant from Ashdown that they were selling as a reblooming R. palustris. I believe it is R. palustris scandens. It’s also very healthy here but has never rebloomed. It’s a very large arching plant. I’ve had no success with it’s pollen or with it as a seed parent. It does form a very few OP hips every year. This year is the first time a seedling has germinated and survived.

Mark

Mark , maybe try some China rose crosses down your way, they will tolerate the conditions better