First crosses for 2013

I’ve started making my 2013 crosses. It’s not much but, here’s what I have so far.

Rugosa Alba X Julia Child 4-11-13 Working toward a good yellow Rugosa

1-71-1 X Joseph’s Coat 4-10-13 What was I thinking?

Cherry Parfait X Thrive! 4-11-13 I love Thrive! and the color of Cherry Parfait. The CP bush is something I can’t stand.

Thrive! X Cherry Parfait 4-11-13

I am a little bit jealous right now. Good luck with getting a better Cherry Parfait. I love the flowers when they are more red and less pink.

Here’s what I’ve got so far. I have to be a bit selective until after the rose show which is Saturday, then we go into high gear :slight_smile:

Pricilla Burton x Brass Band I would LOVE to get some unique color combo from this x

Coachella x Brass Band and the reverse

Sweet Milo x McCartney (ooo, the fragrance!)

Loving touch x Frivolous Pink - so far Frivolous Pink has produced terrible seedlings, but one hopes. It’s such a healthy plant with beautiful blooms (that don’t last long)

[Louise Estes x Marilyn Monroe] x McCartney Rose

Lynnie x Brass Band

Fabulous! x McCartney (previously this cross has given me just whites)

[Loving Touch x Dr. John Dickman] x The Imposter (I have no idea what I expect on this one!)

Paul Eche, Jr. x Halo Glory

Sweet Milo x Coachella

How is Pricilla Burton coming out of that line? The hand-painted roses have problems and I was wondering if it had the same problems.

Have you used The Imposter before?

I have used PB but didn’t get anything out of the cross. Never used the Imposter before so I have no idea what I will get. Not that I ever do, lol. As a plant, she’s very good in my garden, but I’m not sure exactly what you are asking, Adam?

The Imposter does fantastic in the heat–I have always wondered how it does for crosses. Just hate that name, sure it curbs a few sales, just like The Charlaton. What are these people thinking with these names, or are they even doing that?

Have you used Paul Ecke before? and to what results?

Marketing gimmicks usually soar or fall flat on their face. They were probably trying to draw attention to simple roses, implying they could substitute an azalea or a whatnot, now they have the Look-A-Like branding, which makes a ton more sense.

A busy afternoon…these were accomplished today.

Comtesse du Cayla X Mutabilis

Comtesse du Cayla X Reve d’Or

Indian Love Call X Mutabilis

Indian Love Call X Reve d’Or

Indian Love Call X Lamarque

Indian Love Call X Purezza

Indian Love Call X Banksiae lutescens

Indian Love Call X Comtesse du Cayla

Indian Love Call X Werner von Blon

Indian Love Call X Lauren

Indian Love Call X Blue for You

Indian Love Call X 1-72-1Hugonis

Indian Love Call X Cecil

Indian Love Call X White Delight

Indian Love Call X Mrs. Charles Bell

Indian Love Call X Mr. Bluebird

Indian Love Call X Show’n’Tell

Indian Love Call X Porcelain Rose

Indian Love Call X Joyberry

Indian Love Call X Opal Brunner

Indian Love Call X Yellow Renae seedling

Indian Love Call X Kim Rupert

Maytime X 1-72-1Hugonis

Maytime X Purezza

Maytime X Banksiae lutescens

Golden Horizon X 1-72-1Hugonis

Golden Horizon X Purezza

White Cecile Brunner X 1-72-1Hugonis

White Cecile Brunner X Purezza

White Cecile Brunner X Banksiae lutescens

I only got one viable seedling from my last cross with Paul Ecke, Jr and it was mildew prone so I tossed it. Still, one seedling doesn’t say very much.

[Louise Estes x Marilyn Monroe] x Paul Ecke, Jr.

Kim,

Do you get many seeds in your ILC hips? Last year I used ILC as a seed parent for the first time. Every hip set but I only had between 1 and 4 seeds in each hip. I still waiting for some germinations from thjose crosses too.

It will vary with the pollen parent, Andre, but usually there are a good number. Most appear to germinate, also and the offspring are frequently low in prickle count with decent health.

My roses are FINALLY kicking into flowering. So I figured I would do a couple of crosses that may be a little off track just to see what, if anything, happens.

Purpurea X Thrive! I got a ton of pollen from Thrive! yesterday so I thought I would see if Purpurea is fertile.

Madame Alfred Carrière X Thrive! basically to test fertility. On the other hand, can you see MAC type flowers with the color of Thrive!?

The first two blooms here are Gold Badge and Rhapsody In Blue so these get crossed both ways.

Neil

It has been a very odd year here in Texas, warm in January and February, cool in March and April. March 15, I made three crosses of Ducher X Nacogdoches and I now have two plump hips. Yesterday, I made two crosses of Ducher X Shockwave and two of Ducher X Sugarbooger; because I have decided that what the rose world needs now is a good yellow hybrid china.

Busy afternoon, and I had to catch these before they get fried later this week when they’re warning of “triple digits”.

April Mooncrest X Tom Thumb

April Mooncrest X R. Arkansana Peppermint

April Mooncrest X Lynnie

April Mooncrest X Yametsu-Hime

April Mooncrest X Morey’s Pink

April Mooncrest X 42-03-02

April Mooncrest X 81-02-09

April Mooncrest X Magic Wand

April Mooncrest X Kim Rupert

April Mooncrest X MORjerry

April Mooncrest X MORcrest

April Mooncrest X Little Butterfly

Lynnie X Kim Rupert

Lynnie X R. Arkansana Peppermint

Lynnie X Yametsu-Hime

Lynnie X Magic Wand

Lynnie X Tom Thumb

Lynnie X Morey’s Pink

Lynnie X 42-03-02

Lynnie X 81-02-09

Lynnie X MORjerry

Lynnie X MORcrest

Lynnie X Comtesse du Cayla

Lynnie X April Mooncrest

Lynnie X Little Butterfly

Prairie Lass X Lynnie

Prairie Lass X April Mooncrest

Pretty Lady X Kim Rupert

Pretty Lady X Tom Brown

Pretty Lady X MORjerry

Pretty Lady X MORcrest

Pretty Lady X April Mooncrest

Eyes for You X Kim Rupert

Art Nouveau X Kim Rupert

I have a few more crosses completed. It’s sort of a mis-mash of crosses, but geez I’m having a good time. I’ve just used what has bloomed so far. CalPoly, 1-72-1 and Crepuscule are three that I really want to work hard. They should be blooming by the week-end. My two crested (Persil and OP Closer to Heaven) will be crossed both ways as well as with Aimable Rouge. AR is a Centifolia with some cresting so I’ll see what happens.

Rugosa Magnifica X Julia Child

Playboy X Julia Child

58-06-05 X Julia Child

Granada X 1-72-1

Mme. Alfred Carriere X Thrive!

Purpurea X Thrive!

Impatient X Floradora

Purpurea X Floradora

Iceberg X Floradora

Chrysler Imperial X Floradora

Rugosa Magnifica X Floradora

Thrive! X Playboy

Playboy X Impatient

Cal Poly X Purpurea

Persil X OP closer To Heaven

Just finished cross number 72 for the year, Felleberg X Joyberry. According to HMF Fellenberg is a Swiss rose so this is a sentimental cross for my Swiss Grandfather who passed on to me my love of horticultural experimentation. Joyberry because a rose with Ralph Moore, Dr. Basye and Kim Rupert having a hand in creating it, it must have something good to offer.

Thanks, Joan. That COULD result in something fun! Fellemburg was a really neat rose here.

My first cross starts tomorrow, which will be (Danae x Leonie Lamesch) x Rosa banksia lutescens

Another fun afternoon. Fortunately, knowing the rains would likely happen, I’d collected many anthers from the pollen parents to be drying while it rained. Also fortunately, most of it did, quite well. I know Rabble Rouser might be triploid and possibly rather sterile, but I’m giving it a go, anyway.

April Mooncrest X R. Arkansana “Peppermint”

April Mooncrest X Trumpeter

April Mooncrest X Doc

April Mooncrest X Magic Wand

April Mooncrest X Pink Gate

April Mooncrest X Joyberry

April Mooncrest X Porcelain Rose

April Mooncrest X Bashful

April Mooncrest X Eyes for You

April Mooncrest X Little Bo Peep

April Mooncrest X Red Fairy

April Mooncrest X Tom Thumb