Crosses so far 2010

I am hoping to do similar with my Rosa rubiginosa x Baby Love hybrids when they begin blooming in 1-2 years. I hope to cross them onto moss hybrids. I, too, will be completely ignoring the whole caninae issue, although I suppose that using caninae as male parents may help – Who knows. I also bought an own-root Rosa pomifera last Fall. It should bloom in 2 years. Its probably a wase of time but Im fascinated with this whole group of species :slight_smile:

Liz I get it now thanks.

Tom and Don, I am very interested in using R. glutinosa also. In January the first of my princess of wales (harkness) x glutinosa flowered. It was darker pink than the specie and a little less fragrant in the foliage. Surprisingly there is very little evidence of maternal input in this cross. I have a few more that I hope will flower this coming summer.

I also did a few crosses using applejack and glutinosa both ways. Nothing has flowered but the range in scent of the foliage is wonderful. There have been several with very intense cedar fragrance and others with a more pungent turpentine pong. Nothing with the sweet green apple of applejack yet. (Though as an aside I did produce a lovely seedling of R. glauca x applejack which combined the lovely leaf colour of glauca with strongly fragrant foliage).

This year I have focussed on attempting to add more user friendly attributes to my glutinosa collection, such as fewer thorns and repeat bloom. Definitely a long term goal.

All the best

Mike

That’s really cool Mike!

I went out and re-smelled the glutinosa seedling that is supposed to be from palustris pollen. It’s not as different from glutinosa as I’d been thinking but I still am fairly certain that it’s a hybrid. I’m glad to hear about your results from using glutinosa as pollen parent. I’d been thinking of trying that but didn’t get around to it this season. Aside from the palustris hybrid, I’ve only had one hybrid so far from glutinosa. I’m not sure of the father, but I think it was from the ‘Hazeldean’ pollen I’d been using on glutinosa that year. There’s not much about the flower to indicate ‘Hazeldean’, but the foliage is different and it’s almost completely sterile. The foliage scent is a little weaker and slightly different in quality too.

I’m glad that you guys (you and Don) are also working the glutinosa angle (for fragrant foliage). I think there’s a lot of good that can come from using this species instead of (or in addition to) eglanteria.

Tom

Crosses for 2010 already? My first roses just started blooming yesterday. -very jealous-

Therese Bugnet makes hips with William’s Double Yellow, and R. roxburghii, but not with R. primula. R. rox makes hips & winter hardy (in pots yet) seedlings with primula pollen. So what’s the difference here? These are observations on two TB plants geographically separated. Naturally, no blooms on actual seedlings.

What do the scientists have to say. Any thoughts, theories?

There are a number of things that could cause this since this could be a very long thread in itself I am going to start a new thread Lydia.

Don and Mike,

Here’s that seedling that I’m hoping is really from frozen palustris pollen on glutinosa.

The background picture shows it (red circled) among typical selfed seedlings (yellow circles).

Definitely not a self.

Thanks! I’m glad you think so too.

Now if only the one runty darker green seedling [not pictured] turns out to really be from the laevigata pollen I was also trying last year on glutinosa - then I’ll really be pleasantly surprised.

Due to my work schedule, I’ve done fewer crosses than usual this Spring. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

((Lilac Charm X Purple Heart) X Royal Amethyst) X (Ebb Tide X Purple Tiger)

((Lilac Charm X Purple Heart) X Royal Amethyst) X Angel Face

((The Gift X unknown) X Lyda Rose) X Mons. Tillier

((The Gift X unknown) X Lyda Rose) X R. clinophylla

((The Gift X unknown) X Lyda Rose) X R. gentilliana

(Apricot Twist X Ed Yesan) X Gold Medal

(Fabulous! X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn)) X (Fabulous! X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn))

(Fabulous! X Lilac Charm) X (Fabulous! X Lilac Charm)

(Fragrant Cloud X Lavender Pinocchio) X (Fabulous! X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn))

(Livin’ Easy X R. kordesii) X Ingrid Bergman

(Lyda Rose X Lorraine Lee) X Mons. Tillier

(Lyda Rose X William Allen Richardson) X Mons. Tillier

(Lyda Rose X William Allen Richardson) X R. clinophylla

(Magenta X Lilac Charm) X Lavender Crystal

(Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn) X Crimson Bouquet

(Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn) X Moondance

(Silver Jubilee X unknown) X Armada

Armada X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn)

Armada X (Silver Jubilee X unknown)

Armada X Coral Dawn

Armada X Duet

Armada X Engelmann’s Quest

Armada X Little Mermaid

Armada X Prairie Fire

Armada X Prairie Princess

Barbra Streisand X Cafe Ole

Basye’s Purple X Mons. Tillier

Cafe Ole X Barbra Streisand

Coral Dawn X Armada

Coral Dawn X Engelmann’s Quest

Coral Dawn X Ingrid Bergman

Coral Dawn X Moondance

Coral Dawn X Prairie Princess

Coral Dawn X Silver Jubilee

Crimson Bouquet X Cesar E. Chavez

Dortmund X Halo Glory

Dortmund X Purple Tiger

Engelmann’s Quest X Coral Dawn

Engelmann’s Quest X Gold Medal

Engelmann’s Quest X Halo Glory

Engelmann’s Quest X Honey Dijon

Engelmann’s Quest X Moondance

Fabulous! X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn)

Fabulous! X Schoener’s Nutkana

Gemini X Prairie Princess

Gemini X Secret

Gemini X Sheila’s Perfume

Gilbert Nabonnand X R. roxburghii normalis

Gold Medal X (Apricot Twist X Ed Yesan)

Gold Medal X Armada

Gold Medal X Engelmann’s Quest

Halo Glory X Armada

Halo Glory X Dortmund

Honey Dijon X Moondance

Ingrid Bergman X Compassion

Lavender Crystal X (Magenta X Lilac Charm)

Little Mermaid X Mons. Tillier

Love X (Fabulous! X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn))

Midnight Blue X ((Lilac Charm X Purple Heart) X Royal Amethyst)

Midnight Blue X Schoener’s Nutkana

Mons. Tillier X ((The Gift X unknown) X Lyda Rose)

Mons. Tillier X (Lyda Rose X Lorraine Lee)

Mons. Tillier X (Lyda Rose X William Allen Richardson)

Mons. Tillier X Basye’s Purple

Mons. Tillier X R. clinophylla

Mons. Tillier X R. roxburghii normalis

Moondance X (Fabulous! X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn))

Moondance X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn)

Moondance X Engelmann’s Quest

Moondance X Schoener’s Nutkana

Prairie Fire X Coral Dawn

Prairie Fire X Prairie Princess

R. clinophylla X Mons. Tillier

R. clinophylla X R. roxburghii normalis

R. dumalis X R. roxburghii normalis

R. roxburghii normalis X Mons. Tillier

R. roxburghii normalis X R. dumalis

Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn

Schoener’s Nutkana X Precious Platinum

Secret X (Schoener’s Nutkana X Coral Dawn)

Jim, did you give up on “86-3”?

Every cross I attempted with this Spring aborted.

Did you determine if any of crosses you made using it last season were hybrids?

Thanks, Robert

86-3 bloomed during a long spell of heavy rain this Spring. I might have done some crosses with it if the weather had been better. It is a difficult parent. Most of the crosses I’ve done with it have aborted. The seeds I’ve gotten from it have not germinated well. I’m not certain that any of the seedlings are hybrids. None of them have had 86-3’s great health.

I’m sorry to say “86-3” exhibited mild to moderate mildew symptoms here this Spring, but then again all the hybrids I’ve managed to get out of laevigata are also prone to mildew.

Here is what I think is my final list. Ive tried to get as much done with what little sun or dryness we are getting.

Rememberance x Double Red Knockout & Yellow Brick Road

Rememberance x (Sevilliana x Pretty Lady)

Violet Mist x Henry’s Blend

Violet Mist x Wild Blue Yonder & Cinco de Mayo

Royal Amethyst x (Rosa canina x Baby Love)

Flower Carpet Amber x “Carefree Copper”

Wild Blue Yonder x Violet Mist

(Solitaire x Baby Love) x Eletric Blanket & Double Red Knock Out

Coral Drift x Therese Bugnet & Nigel Hawthorn

Summer Wind x Rose Gilardi

Summer Wind x Pretty Lady

Summer Wind x Persian Flame

Summer Wind x John Cabot & Napa Valley & Electric Blanket

Shadow Ninja x Pretty Lady & (Sevilliana x Pretty Lady)

Toprose x (Selfridges x Freedom) & Yellow Brick Road)

Solitaire x Westerland & Jacob’s Robe & Marilyn Monroe

Shadow Ninja x Double Red Knock Out & Yellow Brick Road

Over the Moon x Winter Sunset

Playboy x Eyes for You & Shadow Dancer & Double Treat

Shockwave x Rememberance & Topaz Jewel

Remember Me x (Selfridges x Freedom)

Playboy x Shadow Dancer

Jubilee Celebration x Toprose & Solitaire

Robert’s #4 x Pretty Lady

Shockwave x Pretty Lady

Thats it for now. I wish I could do more but I am unsure if I will be able to.

I finished up today – finally. The weather has been cooperating, even if a week or so late in usual schedule.

Additional crosses:

Shockwave x Berleburg Castle

Solitaire x Sweetness/Citrus Burst/Orange Crush

(Selfridges x Freedom) x Aperitif

(Sevilliana x Pretty Lady) x Lovestruck/Teeny Bopper

Rememberance x Easy Does It/Pretty Lady

Summer Wind x Violet Mist

Dreaming Spires x Sweetness/Citrust Burst/Orange Crush

(Tatton x Purple Heart) x Violet Mist

I regret using Citrus Burst. I didnt know it was bred from Fourth of July (and thus Roller Coaster), which is a line with massive blackspot issues in this area. I wrongly assumed that it’d be safe since it was a Radler hybrid. Oops. The Orange Crush pollen was predominant anyhow, so I doubt it will be much of an issue in culling if anything germinates.

I’m loooking forward to any seedlings coming from Summer Wind.

So Scentimental is superior to Fourth of July to use as a striper, Michael?

I think Fourth of July can breed more dramatic colors and pretty nice vigor. I think that Scentimental is more likely to throw orange tones. Scentimental is spotless here, much like Playboy. Fourth of July blackspots really badly here, much like Roller Coaster. However, some have reported that Scentimental can be an issue in their own gardens elsewhere. Regardless, Scentimental is a realy great rose. Its pretty much a pollen parent tho. Fourth of July seems to go both ways. Personally, Shadow Dancer is my favorite breeder for stripes with good health but it seems impossible to find now. I still own my original from the 1990s lol. One could always use the related Rose Gilardi if they can find it. Its pretty healthy. Its never blackspotted here like 99% of minis do. Im sure it can throw full sized roses if crossed with the right thing.

I believe that Rogue Valley Roses has Shadow Dancer. It i not listed in their catalog but they have such nice people there that if you call them they will probably propagate it for anyone who is interested in it.

I am currently trying to use Rose Gilardi in crosses Jadae. I have only been able to make a few crosses due to the small size of the plant I have. What is amazing is that the small amounts of pollen I have gotten from this one has been so fertile and seems to set on things at a much higher rate. I think I will use this one more in the future.

I have two OP Rose Gilardi seedlings that are striped minis. So far one sets seeds OP and planned. The second hasn’t set OP and I’ve not done planned crosses yet. Both are very disease resistant. Gilardi could be a very good one to use.