Crosses 2008-2009

Looks like ‘Rhapsody in Blue’ is featuring a fair bit in people’s crosses. This is one that I want to use as well but can’t buy a plant anywhere!!! So I’ve ordered a plant of ‘Wild Rover’ instead to see if I can work with this. I was thinking of using ‘Route 66’ but thought this was a different purple to R in B and not quite what I was looking for. ‘Wild Rover’ seems more like. My roses are still pretty much leafless though as we are not quite in Spring yet. On the other hand I have a load of seeds in the fridge now that should be ready to germinate sometime soon. They are all OP hips collected at The National Rose Garden in Longford in Tasmania (Australia) and OP hips collected from ‘Mary Rose’ in my own garden (for some reason she produced masses of OP hips). The others are OP R. pimpinellifolia, Frau Dagmar Harstrup, Westerland, Schneezwerg (Snow Dwarf) and one other whose label I lost. Looking forward to Schneezwerg actually, especially in light of recent discussions about using species or near species roses as its parents are R. rugosa x R. beggeriana.

One things I was going to ask on here was last season a plant that set a large number of OP hips was a Delbard called ‘Maurice Utrillo’. It is a red/white/yellow striped rose (this is one of my flowers from last season: http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/Simonauv/Garden/known%20roses/Maurice_Utrillo3-1.jpg). The parentage is not listed on HMF. I was wondering whether anyone knew anything about this rose and whether the stripes would be inheritable or caused by something else like a virus or being a chimera??? I didn’t harvest the hips because they didn’t seem to want to change colour and stayed big fat and green even though I left them on the bush right through from Spring to mid-winter. It formed lots of OP hips though so it might be worth using if it’s any good as it is apparently pretty fertile.

Waiting eagerly for September 1 to collect hips, got tons of beautiful, red hips all over the place.

My goal this year is to get spotted roses of more colors and types. The crosses I’ve made (that actually took) this year are:

“Fa’s Marbled Moss” x Cardinal de Richelieu

“Fa’s Marbled Moss” x Capitaine John Ingram

“Fa’s Marbled Moss” x Henri Martin

“Fa’s Marbled Moss” x Marbree

“Fa’s Marbled Moss” x Nuits de Young

“Fa’s Marbled Moss” x Dragon’s Blood

“Fa’s Marbled Moss” x Midnight Blue

“Fa’s Marbled Moss” x Coffee Bean

“Belle Organdy” x Song of the Stars

Toujours Gai x Midnight Blue

Toujours Gai x Dragon’s Blood

Golden Celebration x “Fa’s Marbled Moss”

Golden Celebration x Aschermittwoch

Crested Sweetheart x “Fa’s Marbled Moss”

I also (partly because of curiosity but mostly due to injury) allowed just about all my roses to go to seed this summer, so I’ve had very few flowers since spring, but I have plenty of open-pollinated hips on just about all the roses, even Gingersnap, which I’ve never gotten to set hips before. On the other hand, on some of the roses, the only hips that formed were crosses with FMM, such as Cardinal de Richelieu and Capitaine John Ingram. And I have four plants full of huge FMM hips; won’t ever be able to plant all those seeds. Anybody want some?

-Fa

The ones listed below are the majority of my crosses. I have a few other crosses in limited numbers.

Simon Fraser x Baby Love

Simon Fraser x (Rugelda x R15)

Simon Fraser x Aprikola

Simon Fraser x Distant Drums

Simon Fraser x Julia Child

Simon Fraser x Prairie Sunrise

Simon Fraser x Scarlet Moss

I’ve decided to give Aunt Honey one more chance as a seed parent, mostly with Baby Love pollen but there are a few hips from Julia Child pollinations.

Everest Double Fragrance x Aprikola

Everest Double Fragrance x Prairie Sunrise

Everest Double Fragrance x Julia Child

Outta the Blue x Baby Love

Outta the Blue x Julia Child

Outta the Blue x PALs Niagara

Outta the Blue x Red Fairy

Outta the Blue x Westerland

Outta the Blue x Aprikola

Gemini x William Baffin

Gemini x (Morden Sunrise x Home Run)

Gemini x Scarlet Moss

Prairie Harvest x Champlain

Prairie Harvest x PALs Niagara

Prairie Harvest x Aprikola

Prairie Harvest x Red Fairy

Folksinger x PALs Niagara

Folksinger x Red Fairy

Folksinger x Julia Child

Julia Child x Distant Drums

Julia Child x Patricia Macoun

Julia Child x William Baffin

Julia Child x John Cabot

Julia Child x Simon Fraser

Julia Child x Scarlet Moss

Earth Song x Simon Fraser

Earth Song x PALs Niagara

Earth Song x Scarlet Moss

Morden Sunrise x About Face

Morden Sunrise x Aprikola

Morden Sunrise x Julia Child

The McCartney Rose x Baby Love

Moonstone x Home Run

Westerland x Julia Child

Wild Ginger x Aprikola

PALs Niagara x Julia Child

Ingrid x Home Run

Jim Lounsbery x Julia Child

(Morden Sunrise x Home Run) x PALs Niagara

Great crosses Liz!

Timo posted

Nevada x unk0801

Nevada x Roseraie de l’H

On the very large plant Nevada can build one may find a very few hips with one or two seeds. Years ago there were at Bagatelle. I do not know if they germinate.

I gave my ‘Nevada’ away years ago. I wasn’t well adapted here . I never got anything out of it.

Hi ken,

Nevada didn’t set hips. All crosses where gone after a couple weeks.

One thing about Springtime, all crosses I made where gone a while ago. A month ago the local government has pruned Springtime and I spotted 3 black bottles (not rotten) in good shape. So I took them off and I picked 4 seeds in total. I thought it was sterile but a few did took. I was really suprised.

Oh these are the ones which didn’t took also:

Springtime x livin easy

springtime x coral dawn

nevada x unk0801 ora/perz

nevada x Roseraie de l’H

I have an OP seedling from Margarete Hilling, the sport of Nevada. The plant in de Wageningen botanical garden sets hips. The seedling is quite prone to mildew and was so small this second season that it didn’t flower. I hope it flowers next year. It is growing some big canes at the moment. It will probably not outgrow the mildew, but I really want to see what the flowers look like.

Dear Fara Shimbo,

Did you get any seed from your cross with Cardinal de Richelieu?

I am trying to get offspring from this cultivar. As it is triploid and also has only small numbers of anthers this is extremely difficult. With my difficult crosses I often get the hip starting to develope; but some hips will drop soon and others stay quite small and green, and when finally harvestet there is no ripe seed inside.

So I am very interested to hear from your cross.

I see a lot of talk about jealousy but y’all don’t what jealous is – I have no hips in New Orleans, but had some nice fat ones in North Carolina. Unfortunately, they had not ripened by the time we had to return to New Orleans at the end of October and won’t go back until next spring. Is there any chance they may ripen and survive over the winter? Bob

Robert, do you know someone in NC who could harvest the hips for you? Hips don’t always stay on the bush, and your crosses might become food for various 4-legged creatures before the winter is gone. The seeds would probably be OK (even those that might stay on the bush), but you might not be able to find all of them. Not to worry, of course–I understand that seeds that have passed through the digestive tract of an animal are more likely to germinate. :slight_smile:

Peter

Ulrike, yes, I did get hips from this cross. There were very few seeds; I think I only got about ten from four hips. Being triploid would certainly explain that. Curiously, absolutely none of the open-pollinated hips even set; only the one deliberate cross.

The seeds came out of stratification earlier this week and are now in the greenhouse.

Bob, I agree with Peter, it’s probably better to get someone to harvest them for you and send them to you. I’ve heard that hips germinate better if passed through an animal too, and this is fine except you never know where the animal will leave them!

-Fa

Here goes my final results pre-germination:

Rosa rubiginosa x Baby Love

Trumpeter x Amber Queen

Touch of Class x Sunstruck, Sunsent Celebration

Heart and Soul x Regensberg

(Solitaire x Baby Love) x Lavender Sunblaze, Pretty Lady

Danae x Leonie Lamesch

(Solitaire x Baby Love) x Playgirl, All the Rage, Autumn Sunset

Tequila x Rosa virginiana, Roar!, Betty Harkness

Baby Faurax x diploid species mixed pollen

Preference x mixed tetraploid pollen

Toprose x Tickles, (Selfridges x Freedom), Ebb Tide

Moon Shadow x White Lightning, (Jude the Obscue x Purple Heart), Moon within Tidal Waves

Sheer Elegance x Toprose, Timeless

Tickles x Rock Creek

Midnight Blue x White Lightning

Tatton x Geoff Hamilton, Distant Drums, Midnight Blue, Ebb Tide

Escapade x Blueberry Hill, Moon Shadow, Playgirl, Distant Drums

Burgundy Iceberg x Playgirl, Distant Drums

American Honor x Fragrant Plum, Moon Shadow

Belle Epoque x Bukavu, Rosa virginiana

Bukavu x Scentimental

Aperterif x Rotary Sunrise, (Selfridges x Freedom)

Shadow Ninja x Cinco de Mayo

Opening Night x Kanegem, Hot Cocoa, Black Magic, Pride of England

Solitaire x Rosy Future, Erfurt, Orange Velvet, Autumn Sunset, Candy Land, Shadow Dancer, Rock creek

(American Honor x Veterans’ Honor) x Elina, Timeless

Sunstruck x (American Honor x Veterans’ Honor), Black Magic, Oranges and Lemons, Rosa virginiana, Moon Shadow

Whisper x Opening Night, Timeless

Purple Heart x Toprose

Robert’s #4 x Rose Gilardi, Scentimental

Livin Easy x Ebb Tide

Scent From Above x City of London

Remember Me x (Selfridges x Freedom)

Raven x Preference, Louise Hay, Sunstruck, Kanegem, Scentimental

Carefree Marvel x Louise Hay, Sunstruck, Kanegem, Scentimental, Cherry Meidiland, Roar!

Rosy Future x Autumn Sunset, Frangrant Cloud, Firefighter

Trier x Scentimental, Moon Shadow

Penny Lane x Solitaire, Salita

Selfridges x Autumn Sunset, Roar!

Dortmund x (Carefree Marvel x Shadow Dancer)

Timeless x Solitaire, Sunstruck

Kanegem x unknown intended cross (I forgot to label it…)

(Selfridges x Freedom) x self

Shadow Ninja x self

Secret x unknown intended cross (I forgot to label it…)

Roar! x self

That made me tired just reading it Jadae. It’s always fascinating to see how other people think. I confess I have hips I haven’t harvested yet, just because I don’t know what I will do with them if they germinate.

Jadae, you have more crosses than I have roses. What a list and some really great crosses.

Patrick

lol thanks. I guess I excel at breadth rather than width, haha. I had even more crosses, but these are what became a harvestable quantity.

Im most looking forward to Shadow Ninja x Conco de Mayo and Bukavu x Scentimental. I dont know why, though, and I kind of like it that way.

Excellent list. I am a little jelous. This was one of the worst seasons I have had in a long time. I live in the desert yet every time I went out to make crosses, it rained that evening or shortly thereafter. I had horrible results. On top of that, it was just a bad summer in general and I hardly had any time to work with my roses.

My list of seeds is so meager its laughable. :frowning:

Golden Glow x (Autumn Sunset x Applejack)

Golden Glow x Williams Double Yellow

Golden Glow x J5

Prarie Harvest x Williams Double Yellow

Prarie Harvest x J5

(Autumn Sunset x Applejack) x J5

FolkSinger x Williams Double Yellow

FolkSinger x J5

Thats it. I hope next year turns out better. I hacked down several roses that I found no use for and were growing out of control. Polstjarnan, r. rubignosa and r. pomifera were taken to the ground. Need to dig them up but that is a lot of work. I am sure I will be battling suckers for years.

All of these are in the fridge and have about 800 seedlings so far.

Darlow’s Enigma X Baby Love

Marbree X Carefree Sunshine

Marbree X Carefree Celebration

Marbree X Sevilliana

Marbree X Livin Easy

Persian Sunset X Sevilliana

Persian Sunset X Baby Love

Persian Sunset X R. Fedtschenkoana

Livin Easy X Persian Sunset

Livin Easy X Marbree

Baby Love X Persian Sunset

Jersey Beauty X Lady Hillingdon

Joycie X R. Fedtschenkoana

Republic of Texas X My Stars

Royal Sunset X Carefree Celebration

Sunset Celebration X (Earth Song X Rainbow K.O.)

Gingersnap X Carefree Sunshine

My Stars X Baby Love

R. Gluaca X R. Fedtschenkoana

R. Gluaca X Frontenac

Patrick