2017 germinations

150 plus germinations here in central GA. Yellow Brick Road is producing some very double cream/light yellow colored OP seedlings that look vigorous and healthy. I got one seedling from a cross of Lynnie x Campfire - a very surprising dark red.
Stephen

Neat! The foliage seems very “Lynnie”.

In previous post I mentioned some cream/light yellow Yellow Brick Road seedlings. Today a nice gold colored seedling opened.
Stephen
IMG_1718.JPG

Here are some germinations among my 2016 crosses that have been took off from the fridge since Mars 8, after 11 weeks and that have had also 11 warm weeks before cold treatment.

R. rugosa Alba x Dr Harry Upshall, 1 seedling / 10 seeds
Roseraie de l’Haÿ x King J, 80 / 343
Roseraie de l’Haÿ x J5., 4 / 5
King J x J5, 21 / 296
Caroyal x Hazeldean, 3 / 127
(Ross Rambler 3 x Louise Bugnet) x Prairie Peace, 5 / 88
Ross Rambler 14 x King J, 11 / 167
Geschwind’s Nordlandrose x Applejack, 2 / 31
Geschwind’s Nordlandrose x R. fedtschenkoana, 1 / 44
Applejack x R. fedtschenkoana, 1 / 57
Thérèse Bugnet x R. fedtschenkoana, 7 / 16
Monte Rosa OP x Tour de Malakoff, 1 / 5
(G49 x Applejack) OP, 1 / 22
Scarlet Ranger OP, 1 / 5

I am very astonished to have obtained 1 Scarlet Ranger seedling after a lot of trying. I am surprised also with Thérèse Bugnet x R. fedtschenkoana cross and the results of Roseraie de l’Haÿ as mother plant, impressive! I have, of course, high hopes to have maybe some yellow tints with crosses with pollen of J5, Prairie Peace and Hazeldean. We will see what will happen, if they survive, à suivre…!
André

You have some very interesting results there! Congratulations!

Thank you Kim for your remark, it is very appreciated.
André

You’re welcome, Andre! Many here work with things I just can’t grow. It’s fun seeing what can be coaxed from the more cold hardy roses. I have to “satisfy” myself using much less hardy stock. Such as…

Mexican pink R. Minutifolia X Pure Bea, the white Mexican Minutifolia
DSCN6122.JPG
DSCN6123.JPG
And, Nessie (Montecito X Mlle Cecile Brunner (presumably)) X Annie Laurie McDowell
DSCN6317.JPG

That last one promises to offer some fun beasts, Kim, and I don’t know why, but minutifolia is a plant that certainly intrigues… Will the white likely dominate? Do yours provide continuous bloom in your climate?

Thanks, Philip. I’m delighted to finally be able to play with both Nessie and ALmD. Robert Rippetoe has raised some results from both, but we work in different directions so we should (hopefully!) experience different results. Minutifolia (and Stellata mirifica) both repeated throughout summer in Newhall, Encino and apparently here in Santa Maria as long as they have sufficient drainage and are given summer water. That makes harvesting pollen all summer a lot easier.

It’s great to see folks using species and near-species roses in their crosses. It will be fun to see what genetics they add to the hybrid gene pool. I kept my seeds colder this winter, so that they wouldn’t all start germinating in the Fall like they did last year. Most of my 4500+ seeds are still in the fridge, but the ones I’ve taken out are starting to germinate in earnest, about 200 seedlings so far.

R. webbiana x General Schablikine
((Livin’ Easy x R. kordesii) x Lavaglut) x Scarlet Moss
((Livin’ Easy x R. kordesii) x Lavaglut) x Sonia
Ebb Tide x ((Livin’ Easy x R. kordesii) x Lavaglut)
Ebb Tide x Rose Gilardi
Lasting Love x ((Livin’ Easy x R. kordesii) x Lavaglut)
Lasting Love x (Schoener’s Nutkana x Coral Dawn)
(Fabulous! x (Schoener’s Nutkana x Coral Dawn)) x (Lilac Charm x Schoener’s Nutkana)
(Magenta x Lilac Charm) x Mons. Tillier
Golden Angel x (Danae x Mutabilis)
(Gemini x Prairie Princess) x Golden Angel
Gemini x Golden Angel
Gemini x Apricot Twist
Gemini x Cafe Ole
Gemini x (Ebb Tide x Julia Child)
Gemini x Moondance
Sonia x Apricot Twist
Sonia x Golden Angel
Golden Angel x Sonia
Fabulous! x Apricot Twist
Fabulous! x ((Magenta x Lilac Charm) x Apricot Twist)
Fabulous! x ((Magenta x Lilac Charm) x Cafe Ole)

Thank you. so far it is doing great and is nicely scented. it is an offspring of Fourth of July x Diamond Eyes.

[quote=“ramblinrose”]all of my hips fell off last year out of several crosses. I was told that it may have been the heat it got hot here early last year.
I collected seeds from my 2014 hybridizing from some of my promising seedlings, however nothing has sprouted as of yet.

27 - 4.JPG

[/quote

I have seedlings popping up from open pollination of this rose.
Floozy.JPG

I want to post a photo of my only seedling to sprout from a lone hip of this cross from R. minutifolia that I mentioned above previously. Rosa minutifolia must have some somewhat unexpected genetics that possibly ‘play well’ with others. It’s only single (heresy to say that), it closes at night, and it fades a bit, but not badly, and perhaps worst of all it does pick up some mildew. I think that will clear up a bit with growth and age. Hopefully. It is very vigorous, a quick repeater, and has a very nice habit of low branching. So far only single blooms per stem. At first I wasn’t sure that this was maybe just a ‘self’, but the somewhat thin leaves and the growth habit is so unlike anything in the seed side of the family. It is almost thornless which I find unaccountable considering minutifolia.
2017 Braveross x R. minutifolia  013.jpg

Hi Jackie, it is beautiful and yellow. It will be interesting to see what sort of height it attains. Kim R. has also posted that he might have coaxed Rosa minutifolia into do something. Well done Jackie.

[url]http://pushingtheroseenvelope.blogspot.com/search/label/R.%20Minutifolia[/url]

David, If you have not checked out Kim’s minutifolia on his blog do so now at the above link. It will be interesting to see what happens with his newest seedlings. I hope to have a few more next season with the several hips that have set. I have run out of pollen for this yr. and somewhere in between February and March of this past rainy season, my minutifolia drowned. It definitely was not a high rainfall specie. Luckily I had saved some pollen with its’ intermittent bloom cycle.

Congratulations, Jackie! I am not sure what it is about Minutifolia and prickles, but both the Lynnie X Minutifolia and the L56-1 X Minutifolia lines are low to no prickles. Good for you, you got yellow. I have coral, pink, white and various shades of red.

Hi Kim, Jackie got yellow, I must ask her how, only joking LOL

Kim,
I saw your post-those are fantastic, and yes this is still prickle free with only the slightest prickles on the rhachis (undersides of leaf). As for the yellow, I seem to have a yellow dominant shrub that has not been foolproof but very reliable. I am trying this ones (the (MBR66xMDMT) X minutifolia) pollen on a few crosses for next yrs seed. To early to tell if it is viable. Many of the minutifolia crosses I did for this yr have already fallen off, but hopefully a few will persist.

Thank you, Jackie! As I just posted on the other thread, perhaps the Minutifolia inspired hips ripen and fall early, so we should be grabbing them while we can to plant? Couldn’t hurt!

I have to update the post about the yellow Rosa minutifolia hybrid offspring. That seedling was the first minutifolia I had germinate and I was puzzled by its’ lack of any resemblance to minutifolia in every way, although I was quite convinced that it was an offspring. This year I have a few 2nd generation offspring from that seedling and among those seedlings is at least one (probably more-they are still quite small) that confirms that the parent is indeed a hybrid with minutifolia as the pollen parent. The coloration is quite deep green (unlike minutifolia) but it has bristles quite like the pollen grandparent. It should bloom soon if the weather warms up again, and it will be interesting to see if the yellow bloom color continues. The offspring photo needs to be retaken for clarity, but the bristles are clearly there. It looks like new updated photos of both plants are in order.
minutifolia hybrid_3988.JPG
IMG_3814.JPG