Your best, most bizarre or beastliest babies...

I thought I might just solicit a show-and-tell…

I still haven’t had the luxury of doing much crossing since Katrina passed through, so I’m seeking vicarious thrills here.

It’s a rainy day here (for once… first time in months). I enjoy taking pictures (and having an excuse to show them off) but I doubt there’s any vicarious thrills…

There’s been talk of ‘spray free rose trials lately’. I wonder how many breeders actually grow their seedlings spray free. Here in the southeast US, most all roses are subject to disease pressures. So I thought I would give a show of WORST to best as far as this years seedlings go (since I’m essentially spray free).

Here’s a picture of some of my worst seedlings (as far as disease resistance).

These are just as old as any of the others; and as you can see, completely defoliated. They’re not going to grow- rejects.

Here’s an intermediate (and actually to be honest on par or better than most commercially available roses).

These would be my two best for this year. I’m confident they will be good growers for my area… (KO is involved with both). You can see that the first one is not ENTIRELY BS free but it is still up there as far as disease resistance. I haven’t seen anything on the second one yet.

[/url]Re: Your best, most bizarre or beastliest babies…Posted by Jadae [email[/url]] on Mon, Sep 27, 2010

Im sorry to hear that Philip. If I had access to my garden right now, I’d go take pics now. My beastliest seedling for the year is Penny Lane x Salita. Tequila x Roar! is also pretty beastly. The former is a very vigorous salmon pink and apricot blended climber. It has OGR form and good scent. The latter is a deep true yellow floribunda. Its a bit on the tall side. I think it will have a habit like Brown Velvet does. Its far too vigorous and keeps touching the ground because it is so top heavy. I think this is because it is 1/4 Bonica. Tequila has been a good seed parent but its dominant traits seem so random.

My ugly ducking for the year is Tickles x Rock Creek. Its about 4" tall with red/white striped single form blooms. It has the vigor of a sloth. I’m actually wondering if the mini genes from Tickles and the polyantha genes from Rock Creek have had an amplified negative effect. I dont know why I kept it.

No photos as nothing much is in flower yet… how about a ‘beastliest moment’… if I stop and run away crying at any point it’s because I am still hurting and can’t believe my stupidity :frowning:

My big batch of China seedlings from Viru were growing nicely and last week I decided I was going to give them a bit of a kick along with a few pellets of a fowl manure-based rose fert… not much just a few each :frowning: Over the next day or so approx. 80% of them curled up their leaves and died on me along with half of my Angel Wings seedlings… I can take photos of the shrivelled sorry seedling-corpses… that would qualify as beastly… I’ve trimmed some of them back in the hope of them reshooting from the base but am not holding my breath. Also affected was my miniature multiflora that I was so proud of though I am holding onto a spark of hope with this one as I swear I can see little red shoots starting to form down low. Don’t know what was in this stuff as I’ve used it on seedlings before with no ill effect but it even knocked over a large, 2ft tall, grafted 2yr old laevigata in a pot that I had and I didn’t use that much… live (cry), and learn…

O.K., if you really want see this:

sometimes you loose…

at the end of the last winter I found some roses in such a condition, also the batches stored a little bit protected in the garage :frowning:

some of them could be saved, but must cut back to the base (dutch cut).

…sometimes you win

and now the beauty I got a short time later (‘Sympathy’ x ‘Loredo’):

that was a great compensation!

cheers

Bernhard

What a great cross idea! I love it. I wish I still had Sympathie to work with because it has a lot of possibilities.

Bernhard, the foliage is remarkable…oh, and the bloom is nice too!

Lovely! And while I haven’t worked with either of your parents, I’m a little surprised by the result of your cross. I would not have expected such form on the flower… Very appealing.

Im only partially surprised. If one takes it apart, the grandparents would be Wilhelm Hansmann, Don Juan, Grouse and an unknown (likely a double yellow flowering floribunda or shrub). 3 of the four could easily produce this form. Even Grouse’s parents are single x ogr form.

Sympathie itself loves to produce highly double red and salmon tones of both bush and LCL classes.

btw, I noticed that Flower Carpet Amber and Sunesa have nearly identical foliage and flower form. I also noticed that Golden Holstein and Goldmarie 82 have a similar combination to both Flower Carpet Gold (Loredo) and Flower Carpet Sunshine in the way in which the flower buds, leaves and stems are put together – especially the limey new growth color. I am guessing Westfalenpark, the male parent of Flower Carpet Sunshine, is similar. I am guessing that the male parent of Flower Carpet Gold (Loredo) is of similar thought and breeding line of yellows.

Bernhard… you know I love this one… it’s one of the most beautiful roses I’ve seen…

thanks, for expert’s opinion.

My first intention to breed with ‘Loredo’plants was to improve the foilage by the genes from ‘Immensee’ and to skip the 1st generation. ‘Sympathie’ gave good breeeding results, still from open pollinations, I did before’. In the 2nd generation of ‘Sympathie’-decendants you will find such great roses as ‘Red Eden’ or ‘Laguna’

I forgot to mention the great scent of this rose, still more intensiv than the motherplant.

More pictures you’ll find in the link below!

the next grazy project with ‘Sympathie’ is to breed a lot of triploids, with 'Ghislaine…'as polen parent.

…see, how it will work ?

Jadae, assume you ment ‘Westfalen…Gold’

Link: rosebreeding.blogspot.com/search/label/Mittsommerm%C3%A4rchen

Yeah, I meant gold.

The most shocking thing about Yellow Brick Road is that the scent far surpasses both Flower Carpet Sunshine (Yellow) and Carefree Sunshine by far. I am not sure why but the association between the type of scent and the lime-toned new growth of both Flower Carpet Sunshine and Flower Carpet Gold (Loredo) is pretty strong. But then I remembered some really old classic but awful HT’s with a similar combination – specifically those from Spek’s Yellow like Golden Masterpiece and King’s Ransom. I think it has a lot to do with the petal substance as well. It seems to disperse the fragrant oils rather well.

What flavor of scent is your new rose?

Hi Bernhard,

That is a gorgeous seedling with very beautiful foliage Great scent, too, congratulations! It looks like it is setting hips too? That will be a good line to work with.

The photo below is of a bloom of the petals that I showed on another post, but thought it belongs here as a “beastliest baby”. I still haven’t caught a fresh bloom, but here is a recent one. No powdery mildew on this, but will not know other diseases until outside.

Jim Sproul

Jadae,

you asked about the type of the scent:

30-40% Geraniol and Nerol, 34% Citronellol, Phenylethanol,Hexanol, Citral

Jim, that’s some baby! I’m rather enjoying the schizophrenic patterning in the petals, and the spotting is amazing. (I gather the flowers open rather quickly then?)

I’m curious about the spots… I understand, physiologically, how chimeras produce stripes and such, but what exactly is going on with spotting? Is it a trait that is readily inherited, or is it something a bit more elusive, like serated petals?

I’m guessing that more than one McGredy baby figures into this one’s lineage?

Hi Bernhard,

The striping is coming a couple generations back from ‘Purple Tiger’, a great great grandparent.

Hi Philip,

Schizophrenic is a good description!

The full parentage is:

{[(‘Orangeade’ X ‘Abraham Darby’) X ‘Midnight Blue’] X (‘Midnight Blue’ X ‘Baby Love’)} X {[(‘Orangeade’ X ‘Abraham Darby’) X ‘Midnight Blue’] X [(‘Stainless Steel’ X ‘Purple Tiger’) X ‘Baby Love’]}

I think that the spotting is coming from ‘Midnight Blue’. Virtually all of my “spotted” roses have ‘Midnight Blue’ in them. The trait is definitely elusive, so it may be recessive.

Jim Sproul

Jim, is that all? Time was, you’d have plants with over 7 generations of crosses in 'em.

:wink:

I had wondered if any hand-painted roses played into its lineage. Not what I’d expected, but I forgot how complicated your pedigrees tend to be!

I’ve been surprised to see spotting on seedlings at all. Would love to understand physiology behind such. (I had anthracnose on a seedling once, but that’s as close as I ever came.) :wink:

Well my most beastly rose bloom is similiar to Jims’. Stripey and spots, very chaotic though. All the blooms come out like this and there is no form to them at all.

If Jim’s offspring is schizoid, this easily qualifies as pyschopathic!

They just need a hug, lol.

pyschopathic

Thats a good word for this one… for sure Jackie! LOL

And Jadae I don’t know if I should start hugging my roses…its bad enough I talk to them and put funny hats on them…my neighbors already think I am wacko!

The strangest thing about this plant though is that the foliage is really nice and also the growth habit is great too. I am going to keep it around to see if the blooms change…I sure hope they do.