Yellowwwwwwww

You’re having some great success there Jadae!

Jadae, Did you ever get much in the way of pollen from Toprose? I didnt have much luck from it. Tried Williams Double Yellow on it.

Jadae, those 2 new pics are quite nice. I’m really enjoying seeing pics of everyone’s seedlings. It gives me an idea of what is possible out of some of these crosses. Keep them coming!

The more I look at the color on the Princess Alice x Freedom sister seedling the more I like it. It’s a really good inbetween color, to the eye it doesn’t look quite yellow and it doesn’t look quite orange. How has it been doing on fading, Jadae?

It faded little whatsoever. The color in person is deep gold, but it has a blush of caramel shading over it.

*updated yellow ht seedling to reflect today’s status. I am thinking of crossing it into Rotary Sunrise as a final product. Rotary Sunrise is blooming now, and let me t tell you!, the internet pics are misleading. It is a large gold HT with a pale orange rim. I believe it is possible to breed the blending out with ease. Oddly, the HMF photos of it are icky looking. I need to remember to photograph mine…

I hadn’t heard of, ‘Rotary Sunrise’, Jadae. You certainly research your yellows well.

I note Fryer isn’t going to tell us what’s in the lineage. It seems this is the way of the future.

It certainly makes rose breeding less interesting when parentages are undisclosed.

Open bloom of Selfridges x Freedom =)

Rotary Sunrise. I do not know HOW they concluded that this was an orange blend :stuck_out_tongue: This particular bloom is the first of the bunch that has went through 90 degree heat, 3 days of rain and now 2 overcast days. It opens slowly, which is nice. I will test fertility on it this year.

I plan on doing:

[Rotary Sunrise x (Selfridges x Freedom)] &

Solitaire x Rotary Sunrise to check fertility both ways.

Your June 3 post of PA x F, 2nd seedling is particularly nice in form, to my eye. How did that one open up? I also really like the foliage of your first Kordesii-esque yellow and see lots of potential there.

Congrats!!

Rotary sunrise is pleasant, if subtle. The subtlety makes me wonder how much influence it will pass on to descendants. But then, if it’s maleable, that could be fun…

The PA X F seedling opened up slow-like. The substance was thick.

Rotary Sunrise is interesting once you dissect the petals. Theyre mainly gold with a orangey-pinkish picotee. It is not a true blend like Solitaire or Redgold. The picotee is much like Nicole or Betty Boop-- the color doesnt move. If you inspect Playboy, a similar color ranged rose, you will not it is a picotee/blend combo. The petal face is a true blend, but the reverse is a picotee! So, on that note, I think getting self yellows may be easier. The yellow is darker on Rotary Sunrise than it looks in a whole bloom. I think the picotee combined with the amount of petals messes with our visual perception of it. So, my guess is that a lot of selfs and bicolors can be had from it. That is the usual pattern in my experience.

I wish I knew it’s parents. The foliage is outstanding.

I didn’t do many crosses with yellow last season but this one is a pleasant surprise.

Disease resistance will probably be average at best. It was just an experiment.

I know it will be one that will fade but considering we’ve had triple digit temperatures it looks pretty good.

I’m anxious to see how it will look under cooler conditions.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=51356&tab=21&lstTyp=16

Wow, that rose parent is old!

I believe that Rotary Sunrise is a direct descendant of Pot of Gold. The foliage, bloom shape and butter coloring is dead on. It also has very little “orange” in it whatsoever. What a bad classification (ARS OB). The fade is nice, and they last a long while. I hope to breed out the orange picotee because I would prefer a nice butter yellow over dayglow gold (Sunsprite, Midas Touch, Mellow Yellow shades) in the landscape anyday. At any rate, the major differences between Pot of Gold and Rotary Sunrise are larger blooms, larger plant and the orange picotee. It was shipped from Canada on a huge plant so I am also assuming that it is more cold tolerant than Pot of Gold. It looks like it will be.

Jadae,

Can you give us an update (with pics please) of those gorgeous yellow seedlings you posted in June? How are they doing. Especially loved that Golden Yellow one you posted; seemed perfect. Interested in hearing your thoughts on them 2 months later.

Thanks,

Jim

Im happy with them all. Theyre havent changed much whatsoever. The only negative I can report is that I like Daybreaker x Josie Whitley less now because it had a tiny amount of blackspot on some lower leaves. Yeah, Im being picky lol.

My only real complaint is trying to figure out what to use these guys with in the next round.

And for the record, Rotary Sunrise x (Selfridges x Freedom)] &

Solitaire x Rotary Sunrise both worked. They should be harvested in a few weeks or so.

Also, Toprose is amazing. Each hip is HUGE. And each hip set like magic. Also, Candy Land accepted it’s pollen just fine.