What I came Up With This Year

I have to start by thanking everyone for all the good information shared on this site.

I have finished collecting the hips that I pollinated. Some were planned and some were done just because I had the pollen. While I’m not planning on getting anything too interesting out of this bunch (but there’s always a maybe in here), I have to say it was good for me to actually experience the thrill of putting pollen on selected blooms.

I made about 273 actual crosses and got around 50 of them to take. Maybe not a good percentage but there were quite a few varieties I tried as seed parents that are clearly not going to set seed. Good to know for next year. So with this test run almost complete (I still have to see what’s inside the hips and see if any germinate) I feel I can now plan for next year.

For any one interested here’s what took:

Blaze of Glory X Fourth of July

Blueberry Hill X Night Owl

Blueberry Hill X Prairie Lass

Charlotte Brownell X Adelaide Hoodless

Charlotte Brownell X Morden Sunrise

Charlotte Brownell X Night Owl

Earth Song X Honey Dijon

Ebb Tide X Lafter

Fourth of July X Climing Etoile de Hollande

Fourth of July X Harlekin

Fourth of July X Nigrette

Fourth of July X Orange Ruffels

Indian Love Call X Harlekin

Knock Out X Fourth of July (might be OPs)

Lafter X Honey Dijon

Lafter X JACtan

Lafter X Lafter

Lafter X Prairie Lass

Lafter X Rise ‘n’ Shine

Morden Sunrise X Elina

Morden Sunrise X Honey Dijon

Morden Sunrise X Prairie Lass

Morden Sunrise X Prairie Sunrise

Night Owl X Adelaide Hoodless

Night Owl X Denver’s Dream

Night Owl X Honey Dijon

Night Owl X Jardins de Bagatelle

Night Owl X Lafter

Night Owl X Orange Ruffels

Night Owl X Prairie Lass

Night Owl X Prairie Sunrise

Orange Ruffels X Adelaide Hoodless

Orange Ruffels X Frontenac

Orange Ruffels X Honey Dijon

Orange Ruffels X Midas Touch

Prairie Lass X Blaze of Glory

Prairie Lass X Fourth of July

Prairie Lass X Night Owl

Prairie Lass X Lasting Love

Rise ‘n’ Shine X Denver’s Dream

Rise ‘n’ Shine X Julia Child

Rise ‘n’ Shine X Midas Touch

Rise ‘n’ Shine X Night Owl

Sachet X Night Owl

Violet Mist X Fourth of July

Violet Mist X Frontenac

Violet Mist X Morden Sunrise

Violet Mist X Prairie Lass

Anda X Unconditional Love

Sunsprite X Elina

Sunsprite X Fourth of July

Sunsprite X Prairie Lass

I made about 273 actual crosses and got around 50 of them to take.

This is quite good for survey crosses in which you have no indication of what will or will not work.

there were quite a few varieties I tried as seed parents that are clearly not going to set seed.

Be persistent with those for which you have a specific target trait of great interest. I’ve gotten seedlings from roses that are notoriously infertile just by pounding at them.

You look to be working on winter hardiness. You have made many very interesting crosses.

Elina.pollen has lot to offer, especially if you seek large bloom size.

Don,

I’ll keep at them. Some of the varieties I used that didn’t set seed I was trying out just because there were no descendants listed for them and I was curious if it was a complete fertility problem, just a female fertility problem, or no one got around to using them. So I’ll probably try them one more year as seed and also as pollen just to make sure. I do have an OP hip on my Cineraire so I’m keeping my fingers crossed on that one. I wasn’t expecting that. Maybe I can get something that will turn out to be something worthwhile. I’m not sure I have the patience to collect the pollen.

Hardiness is an issue here in Des Moines. Not as much as the lower zone folks but even here in 5b I get a lot of die back. Of course my collection still has a majority HTs and Fls but that is slowly changing as I discover the other classes. I’m still physically able to dump leaves on them in the fall and take them off again in the spring, but it is getting a bit tedious.

I hope interesting is a good thing. I did seem to do a lot more crosses that involved pollen I just so happened to have (Nigrette, Cl. Etoile de Hollande) and that I wasn’t planning on doing. But you never know.

A few of the planned crosses I’m excited about. I am loving Prairie Lass and she is fertile both ways for me. The same is true with Night Owl and Fourth of July except they have hardiness issues and some BS problems. Honey Dijon has been a good pollen donor as only one cross didn’t take (I actually had a lot more hips with it than is listed but I have that squirrel problem).

Dave,

That was why I put it on Morden Sunrise as well as a few other smaller bloomed varieties (dang squirrels). I am pretty sure that I will lose what hardiness it has but I figure if I can get the bloom size with the petal count I can cross with one of my other hardier roses to get that back. It goes without saying that disease resistance will be addressed with additional crosses and culling.

I’m pretty excited about next Spring when I get around to putting them in the ground.

Andre, congratulations on your Cineraire hip! I’ve NEVER had any of mine form hips, period. The pollen is quite good on pretty much everything I’ve ever put it on, but as a seed setter, forget it. Lynneraire # 4 is turning out to be quite healthy and floriferous here. I’ll be pimping it a lot next year. Kim

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.177052

Oh wow. I’ll have to try using Cineraire’s pollen next year (definitely produces enough blooms to get something). Lynnie probably won’t be ready to use next year but maybe I can try it with Indian Love Call but it might be a close enough match to what you got there.

I’m really liking the Basye’s Legacy hybrids. I only got two blooms this year on ILC (it was a mere cutting last year) but, as you can see above, I was able to get one of them to form a hip. Tthe cross that didn’t take was ILC X 4th of July which I’ll try again next year. BTW Harlekin on ILC was just a “because I have it” cross.

I’ll see if I can go out tonight and take a picture of the hip - I’ve been meaning to do that ever since I discovered it. I’ll post it here if I do.

Kim, ‘Lynneraire #4’, looks great, good colour and flower shape. David.

“Lynneraire”! I love it.

Thanks! Creating nonsensical names from the parents makes it easier for me to remember what created them. This one reminds me quite a bit of Knock Out type plants and is completely clean here. It surprised me how large and saturated the flowers are. Unfortunately, it didn’t inherit the lower prickle count, but large, bright flowers (and lots of them!) on a healthy plant isn’t bad for an experiment. Collecting pollen from Cineraire, Magic Wand and Tom Thumb will really strain your eyes! Lighted magnification helps a lot.

I’m watching several other seedlings from last year that look intriguing. One is Pink Gate X Magic Wand. (Pink Wandgate 'Pink Gatewand' Rose ) I haven’t allowed to flower much in an attempt to force growth from it. So far, it’s one which likes to flower at the expense of growing, but it’s forming many buds all over the plant now that it’s upsized and not being disbudded.

TooCuteChild 'TooCuteChild' Rose resembles the flowers on Too Cute but appears to be more of a floribunda or shrub type plant with more single flowers to the stem. So far, it appears to be lightly prickled and very healthy.

Lynndancer 'Lynndancer' Rose is another very healthy one so far, as is Lynchild 'LynChild' Rose . Lynnpoo, Lynnie X Pride of Oakland, 'Porcelain Rose' Rose is still an impressive plant. It’s developed prickles with age and is increasing the size of the flower clusters. I want to see what I can do to stabilize its color longer. Otherwise, the plant is a nice floribunda here and rudely healthy.

I’m impressed with the polyantha performance, particularly Lauren, Wild Dancer, Doc and La Marne, and will be working them more into the Legacy seedlings. Then, comes the crested line…Kim

Kim,

I did get a plant of Lauren from the cuttings you sent me this spring. It has been blooming its head off for about 3 months now without any break. I have it planted next to my Sweet Nothings and Heinrich Karsch and even though the Lauren plant is younger, it has almost caught up with all of them. All three and Baby Faurax are doing very well here with similar but slightly different violet-purple shades (especially now that cooler weather is here). I like the health, color, bloom cycle, bloom numbers, foliage color and shape… there’s nothing about this group I don’t like, so guess what’s going to be experimented with next Spring. The only question is what I should put on them. I guess with all the blooms they produce I can probably try everything.

Also, I did get some pictures of my Cineraire so I’ll post them as soon as I figure out how to get them on my computer(new camera). It has sent up a few new branches that are loaded with new blooms. Wish it wasn’t going to get too cold soon.

Congratulations, Andre! There are very few “violet” roses produced by 2000 I haven’t grown, and I like Lauren as well, if not better, than any of them. I’d put anything healthy and heavily flowering on them, then see what you get.

I’d commented that I’d never found hips on my Cineraire, not had it every accepted anything I put on it. Yesterday afternoon, I found one! I guess I should put them in larger pots so the mole doesn’t disturb them and start hitting them with all the good stuff!

Kim,

The ‘Sweet Nothings’ starter you sent me is doing really well. I’m pleased at how disease resistant it is. I’m thinking of crossing Softee and SN next season…to start with. Also just purchased Carlin’s Rhythm and look forward to using it next season as well. In addition, at least one cutting from each miniature that you sent me has rooted. Hopefully they will make it through the winter. Thank you!

Rob

Great Rob! Congratulations! You’re welcome. Kim

As promised, here are some pictures of my Cineraire with hips. As you can see, it was giving me one last flush before winter. This particular plant is probably about 4-5 inches tall and virtually thornless with (in my mind) pretty good branching.

Only Buds (side shot):

Imgur

Main Hip:

Imgur

Multiple Hips:

Imgur