Two kinds of Fairy Roses

Yeah… will do that too :slight_smile: Once I can find them :slight_smile:

Simon, you put me onto Thomas For Roses regarding a possible source for ‘Rouletii’ a while back now, but at the time you were not sure if they did carry it or not.

Well, they confirmed by email that they carry a rose they name ‘Chinensis Minima’, but they said they do not sell ‘Rouletii’… Maybe it is the same as ‘Rouletii’, maybe not…only one way to find out. LOL

Simon…I should say also, that Thomas For Roses are very helpful, and have some hard to find stuff (eg. they were the only people I was able to find who sell ‘R. Wichurana’). Thanks for putting me onto them… :slight_smile:

Sequoia Nursery had all of the old micros, because I gave them all of them. They propagated them until the end and I’d bet if you contact Burling Leong at BurlingtonRoses@aol.com and inquire about what you want. Usually, if she doesn’t have it, she knows where to get it. She should have Si and I know she has the Gene Strawn single micro, Hi. She has an amazing selection, most of which isn’t on her list, you just have to ask.

Kim… You know I’m in Australia don’t you?

George… I actually rang Thomas for Roses today and have placed an order for this coming winter of the rose they stock as chinensis minima. They have agreed to purchase the budwood and propagate the roses from Rustons if I talk with Ruston’s to determine what they have (as a lot has been removed). They didn’t order any budwood from Ruston’s this season but last year of the 30 varieties they ordered they only got 3 because the rest, although still on the catalogue, were not available any more.

hmmmmmmmm

Cinderella is the healthiest of the diplid minis in my area – blackspot country, usa. lol. It builds up nicely and blooms non-stop. It is probably my favorite of the bunch because it is a nice landscape plant in its own non-rose merit. Ive always wanted to cross Rosa rugosa alba with Cinderella :slight_smile:

I grew Red Imp eons ago. It was cute, but not much else to say about it. I grew Oakington Ruby. There wasnt much ruby about it lol. It blackspotted like most minis do here. I intended to use it for breeding, but didn’t think it was worth my time to get on my knees to try to use. I tend to think twice when hybridizing anything I have to go 6’ down towards with small tools.

The rose named Mary Haywood by Moore looks like it has a nice lineage. Too bad more was not known of it.

This is a photo of the plant Thomas for Roses is selling as Chinensis minima, posted on Rose Talk by Margaret Furness:

Maybe it’s one of these Angel Wings roses LOL

‘Cinderella’ produces very little pollen. You really have to look for it.

‘Petite Perle D’or’ is much easier to use and carries yellow. Disease resistant.

I’ve done some crosses with it already but I need to do more.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.40549

Then hurry it up, would ya? :stuck_out_tongue:

It does look like one of the best, Robert. Also, it looks cute.

Ahhhh… thanks for reminding me of this wonderful little rose Robert! I knew I had to order Perle D’or for something but couldn’t remember what… now I do :slight_smile:

PPD would be a fun one to put on something like ‘Trier’.

I don’t have space for ‘Trier’ here or I would do it myself.

So far I’ve been using it to try and shrink enormous things like ‘Nessie’. It does deserve much more exploration.

Jadae, I think I have a few things germinating out of PPD out there right now. If you’d like I can try rooting one for you.

Burling is building up numbers for this one now and might have some ready to go. She told me she was going to produce some micro mini trees with it.

This season I’ve been trying to isolate the larger sport which is about twice the size. I also shared it with Burling.

It’s still small but might make a nice dense polyantha.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.44275

Robert,

PPD reminds me (in bloom style anyway) of Ralph’s Soulieana hybrid “String of Pearls” which is the pollen parent of ‘Baby Austin’. I’ve used it in breeding a bit but since it has such a strong inclination to breed very dwarf plants I haven’t done anything with it in several years. (I’m no longer interested in producing more miniatures; I feel they have enjoyed their day in the sun and are quickly falling out of fashion)

Do you have Ralph’s Soulieana hybrid, Robert? It might be something you’d have a use for.

Which soulieana hybrid Paul?

I agree about minis. It seems to me they are best used to improve architecture, increase repeat.

I was never a huge fan of minis in general. Most tend to get lost in the landscape.

On the other hand as plot sizes shrink they might have a place for a long long time to come.

I’m talking about the “String of Pearls” hybrid: ‘Anytime’ X R. soulieana.

“String of Pearls”, Sorry, no I don’t.

It still amazes me these F1 hybrids of soulieana offer repeat.

I wonder about ploidy?

Ploidy could be anything, considering. I kinda figure ‘Anytime’ is likely a tetra, but soulieana is a diploid, so…

“String of Pearls” does not set seed, ever, but is highly pollen fertile, which leads me to think it is a fertile triploid. It repeats like a mad thing, FYI.

If you get an extra one Paul please keep me in mind.

String of Pearls grows as a ground cover here, Robert. It has remained low and spread across the ground, breaking into sprays of blush pink, fading white, double blooms which look similar to Anytime and Renny, only in the pastel colors. Cool weather keeps it more pink. Carolyn told me they didn’t push it as they felt it didn’t repeat well in high heat, but that hasn’t been an issue here. That’s like Ralph not wanting to do much with Star Magic because it didn’t repeat well enough. As you’ve seen, it blooms nearly continuously but never did in a 4" pot!

Thanks Kim. I think Paul may have one for me.

Actually ‘Star Magic’ did not repeat here for the first several years.

Even now it’s reticent to repeat but I can get a few scattered blossoms here or there other times of the year.

I know these are climactic issues. Still if something doesn’t repeat for me, how can I guess it will repeat elsewhere?