Trying to understand striping...

Thanks Jim. I know you’ve bred a lot of striped seedlings before so I was wondering if there were any other patterns you have noticed? e.g. This is the larger of the two buds above today:

What changes can I expect to see in the striping as it ages? Does patterning, like striping, change as the seedling matures like traits such as petal count do? I realise striping is a pretty random thing at the best of times but is this a realistic snapshot of what it will be like when older?

Hi Simon,

First blooms on stripes are representative of color if grown outside. If in a greenhouse, you can expect some changes in coloring. Also the amount of lighter stripes will be more in cooler weather. Like other seedlings, the number of petals and bloom shape may change somewhat.

This one seems to have a fair amount of striping and has it on the reverse too. Very nice.

Jim Sproul

If anyone is interested, I have collected the open pollinated seed from ‘Hurdy Gurdy’ and am willing to give it away. It has some of the most contrasty red/white striping of any rose I know. It also has that typical McGredy vigor that I appreciate.

Well… just as you predicted Jim… all of final five seedlings have flowered now… and they all turned out to be striped… some are better than others, all but four will be culled I reckon. This is the one I like the most and will carry over to plant in the ground in a test bed in the next week or so. I think I’ll only use it in breeding, because I like the softer stripes, and start putting it with DAs and Teas :slight_smile: Thanks again for your advice.

Simon,

So this is an open pollinated ‘Papageno’ seedling? Nice dramatic striping indeed!

Paul

Yep… same batch of seed as all the others in this thread… pretty diverse range of phenotypes isn’t it!

This is another one that I am not very fond of:

There are two that are almost open now, that are also obviously striped, but this is the only one that really looks different so far.

Simon, thank you for proving that ‘Papageno’ can pass on stripes. I love the color of your seedling pictured three up from this post.

This older article from India that I came across is interesting on this topic. The author claims there are stripes induced by exposing reproductive parts of roses to gamma radiation.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:T8VfUY-Q5vYJ:www.lakshmi-sridharan.com/Documents/STRIPE.doc

Anyone here tried anything like that, or know of anyone who has?

Link: 74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:T8VfUY-Q5vYJ:www.lakshmi-sridharan.com/Documents/STRIPE.doc

This is the 2nd last one to flower. In this one there is, as Jim advised, striping on only one side. I kind of like this effect. The petals are thick and waxy. If stripes are inherited independently on the upper and lower surface of the petal… has anyone ever seen the stripes on the lower surface with a solid colour or a blend on the top? I can’t think of a time I’ve ever seen this. Can you combine different patterns (e.g. pictoee with stripes (I was thinking a pictoee with a hulthemia spot would be cool too))?

Simon!

Another stunner; I like the striped/bicolor effect. I still think one could develop a nice rose garden just using Papageno OP seedlings!

Jim