Tiramisu pollen anyone?

Does anyone in US/CA want pollen from Tiramisu? Its a new florist spray rose out in the market. Its Leonidas russet with a vanilla cream reverse floribunda. The flowers are classic HT shape in clusters of 3 to 7. I have like 40 flowers of it because its the dead of winter and its beautiful, but I wondered if anyone wanted pollen. Its a florist rose so no clue re: health, hardiness, but I figured the unusual color would be desired.

I dont see a patent for it so I may make winter cuttings for fun.

Link: flowergallery.ifd-inc.org/flower_category.asp?cat=51&var=3806&offset=60

Jadae,

Any special tricks for rooting florist roses? When I go grocery shopping I always walk by the florist section and give into a minute or so of rose lust. They also reduce the prices when the roses age a bit. Am in the process of moving so can’t do it now but would like to try rooting some once the dust settles, LOL.

That Tiramisu is lovely. Thank you for the offer but no time and my seed sowing is still hit and miss and mostly miss. Someday I want to try your outdoor sowing method but that will have to wait when I am resettled.

Jim

That’s a beauty!

I would love pollen. e-mail me on the link.

email sent. pollen drying out in a little penny bag in front of me as I type this :slight_smile:

Shock and awe! (sarcasm) I just discovered this rose descends from Zorina. It seems as if there are two KORfan roses, one from Zorina and one from Silver Star. Tiramisu comes from the Zorina version… like most russet blends do :stuck_out_tongue: Edwardian Lady follows the same troubled path – it is descended from Belinda …but not the one we all know … but another florist type bred from Zorina :slight_smile:

Jadae, if you have the time or inclination, could you please see what you can find out about the version of ‘Summerwine’ shown in the pedigree for ‘Julia Child’?

The newer version ‘Summer Wine’ by Kordes seems more likely to me?

That was my thought a year ago when I tried to find more info. I’ll try again though.

This winter I tried myself to root two different florist roses. Got roots on the cuttings but never got the buds to break. I wonder if during transporting if the buds froze or something.

Does Tiramisu have ruffles? From the picture it seems like it is slightly ruffled. I do love the look of the flowers.

No, it has exhibition HT form. This rose would win at one-bloom-per-stem floribunda class if disbudded. It has clusters like Tournament of Roses, bloom size like Bill Warriner… and form like… Bill Warriner. LOL. Which reminds me, I’m pretty sure part of the unknown half of Impatient is related to Zorina. I always assumed it was Merci x Faberge anyways, but there is no way to prove it.

Today, I bought 18 stems of Coffee Break, the improved Leonidas, for like 12 bucks. I didnt want to spend the $ but I didnt want to pass it up and I NEEEEEED color in the winter. Its way bigger, fatter, and definitely more vigorous based on the buds everywhere. you can really see both Peace and Touch of Class in the foliage and form. It is way more subdued in Leonidas. The color is different. The brown is the same as Leonidas, but it is only 1/3rd of the color. The reverse is like mocha-primrose and the inner half of the petal face has tangerine blending. I have pics to post later. I took cuttings of the base of each stem so we will see if it roots in the laundry room =P

Here’s both roses together.

And here is Tiramisu alone. The cream is more vanilla and the russet is more brown in real life. I cannot get the colors correct since it is night + indoors.

And this is a plant nerds idea of a dresser :slight_smile:

Michael, are you going to play with some of this pollen yourself?

I saved like 30 blooms worth in the freezer, lol… I cant wait to see my gf roll her eyes :slight_smile: I already have the entire bottom half of the fridge covered covered glasses full of soilless media, some moisture and seeds.

I used the silica bead packets in the sealed container but my faith in this practice is really low. I really do not like florist roses at all. I think theyre fairly awful. The traits for which they are bred in mind for are polarized to climates in which they could have been used for. For example, theyre less cold hardy but their linear nature is bad for hot climates. Likewise, some are bred for UV sheltered environments, so they fade badly. However, this is changing due to their mass production in Central America. In contrast, they are not adept to climates where they would show off their bloom size and optimal color. Despite all of the above, many of them translate to looking very articifical and non-real when grown outdoors. Some of them have gotten past this, such as Kardinal 85, Ophelia, Congratuations, Skyline, Bridal Pink, etc. Even those are iffy though.

I will retain the pollen due to the really unusual color combinations. I can always stick them on something odd or healthy. What would be interesting to know is if theyre are improving, changing or declining in disease resistances. Who knows what diseases are in Central America, and who knows what chemicals they are allowed to use. I can only hope they are breeding towards the plague of florist roses – mildew – in order to combat crop maintanence costs. Both of these florist roses are obviously unusually vigorous. I could tell from when I was dismantling them for vases. They both seemed like beasts for their specific class type. I am hoping they root successfully. If they do, and because of their vigor, they could pass on useful traits. Or maybe not … :slight_smile: Thats how it goes with us folks, eh?

Sounds like you could do with a second fridge :slight_smile:

I can well understand your love affair with those color combos. I am a sucker for these types.

Jadae,

At least you keep your clothes neatly folded; that’s more than I can say for myself! The pictures are beautiful and what a pleasant sight to see.

Thank you!

Jim

PS-Start naming beautiful roses that you hybridize after her and all will be well. What might be an annoyance will turn into a little quirk! :wink:

I already named one! If anything, though, I enjoy being a pest :slight_smile: She’d be bored if I wasnt. If silence is golden, a bang is a rainbow of fireworks!

Next up: Turning the previously used dresser into a … I do not know yet. The dresser was left to me by my late sister. It is in awful shape but it is 100% cedar. I can recraft it with time… but I am unsure as to what it should become. I am thinking of recrafting the bottom half into a locked drawer for keepsakes and the top half into a bookshelf for rose materials. I have random ARS books from 1937 to 1994 that are still homeless.

One petal of Coffee Break, which when open is giving an improved form of ‘Peace’, is also displaying some old gold streaks, which usually indicates in this clan that it definitely will sport within time.

This is a spray rose from last year. I bought it at New Seasons, which is like Whole Foods minus the farce. I do not know its name. They buy their florist roses locally, so I can only assume it was grown in Cornelius, OR under organic conditions in an articifical environment since they sell roses from the same vendor year round. Their staple red is Opening Night, which I find hilarious. So, anyways, this cute striper is nameless, but I’ll buy some more this year in Portland for cuttings.