Test Tube Baby Love / Simon Voorwinde

Beautiful, Jadae ; to get mine back to health I think I am going to have to spray like hell this coming year :frowning: .

Jim

Hi George, thank you! Much appreciated. I am Southern born and raised. The tradition I was raised with is your garden flourishes when shared. Makes sense. Everything needs pruning and dividing. By freely sharing what you have, it opens the doors for what you grow to improve and opens the doors for more blessings to be received. I have been blessed by people generously sharing their time, roses and knowledge and owe it to them to continue that tradition. I well know what it’s like to learn of something you want to see only to find you can’t due to import restrictions, geography, etc. I enjoy enabling! I’m sure you know how it feels when you have been able to make it possible for someone else to share in the pleasure of what they sought. Call it Karma, paying it forward, whatever, but sharing what you enjoy increases that enjoyment. Helping others if you can, serves to help you, too. I never want to hold the only Unicorn horn! Having the only one of something is too precarious a position to be in. Move it around, share it before you lose it!

I read of the wonderful sounding roses we had here and had to import them from Britain. Once in hand, I spread them around as far and wide as possible to keep them around this time. It has served not only to spread that pleasure, but permitted me to have somewhere closer to re collect the material when something happened to mine. Just as it permitted us to replace Ralph’s stuff when he lost it. It’s just good stewardship of what is being shared.

I appreciate your mental image. Thank you! LOL! There are FAR worse images to conjure in peoples’ minds!

The Bracteata/Gigantea/Clinophylla work is quite interesting. I have the “runt of the litter” Bracteata/Clinophylla seedling from Robert from Viru’s seeds. I grow it and enjoy it. One of these days, I know it will make itself felt in the lines I have going. I’m fascinated watching what Viru, Robert and you others coax out of it. Thank you for sharing photos when something arises from your efforts. I love this place! LOL!

Jadae, your Baby Love seedling is beautiful. It kind of reminds me of Ralph’s Joycie. It would be very interesting seeing what kinds of offspring it will produce! Nice color! Kim

My little one above may well develop more OP hips as it matures. At this stage they keep shedding. The pollen is a right B to work with as well. The anthers don’t seem to release it properly. I’ve borrowed a new mortat and pestel from work and have been, on Kim’s suggestion, lightly grinding the anthers and this seems to have worked for it and a few other reluctant pollen producers. I think it may also have a lot to do with our weather at the moment, which is hot and dry. The anthers look like they are drying too quickly and the process they act like shrink wrap instead of splitting properly. I had this trouble last year as well despite drying the anthers in the shade in a cooler part of the house.

If single is recessive to double then it makes sense that your seedling is so nice and double, Michael. It is very beautiful, as Kim said. My limited understanding of doubleness and singleness is that it is determined by a single gene and then there are other modifying genes that determine how double they are, whose expression we only see when matched with the dominant double gene. So singles, despite being single can still pass on these modifying genes and contribute to the degree of doubleness of the double blooms. I grow (maybe ‘grew’… noticed it was looking poorly the other day… heavy footed animals decided to tap dance all over it :frowning: ), ‘Sweet Magic’ here, 'Baby Love’s seed parent, and it is very double but obviously carrying single genes (from ‘Nozomi’ is my guess). So maybe ‘Baby Love’, whilst being single, is able to contribute to the overall doubleness of flowers quite significantly. Others have said that they’ve found ‘Baby Love’ to breed a lot of yellow singles too…

While we are thanking people for their generosity, I owe Don a lot for the original seed. He was saying that he hadn’t got much doubleness from the batch of OP ‘Baby Love’ seed he sent me. In addition to this he also got some orange coloured seedlings. Seems this one of mine is the only double one of the batch.

Speaking of ‘Euphrates’ hybrids… I’ve got another hip using ‘Euphrates’ pollen on ‘Wild Rover’ this season too. ‘Wild Rover’ seed germinates really easily so here’s hoping it works. On another note, on of my Rose Talk members, Warren Millington, posted a photo of his ‘Moulin Rouge’ x ‘Euphrates’ seedling that was red with a dark red eye. My plan for next season is to put ‘Euphrates’ onto ‘Sympathie’.

Oh great! Hope your WR X Euphrates makes it for you, too What happened to your Altissimo X Euphrates?? o_O

I got impatient with it, extracted the embryo and despite my best efforts it fungused :frowning:

I have also had occasional trouble getting pollens to release…I am starting to notice that some varietals need their anthers to stay/?mature on the flower for a lot longer than others, and then they will release “more willingly”… i.e getting pollen to release seems, like so many things in life, a multi-factor-dependent event, as you suggest!!!

I am also adopting the “bashing of the anthers” trick Kim mentioned last year (?via Ralph Moore’s original advice to Kim, I believe), if all else fails LOL…I just repeatedly jab one of my fingers onto the dried (but stubborn to release) anthers lying in the bottom of the collection jar…whilst this is not quite the mortar and pestle job which Kim advocated, and it cannot be as efficient, it has offered me “life-saving” extra bits of pollen, nearly always…thx Kim.

Simon I am sure you will get persica F1 out of Euphrates, soon…you might be almost there, already!!

As for the fungusing of embryos, I am guessing that they are dead in the first place, so they fungus…and so I never blame myself for that…this unproven hypothesis at least sure makes me feel better when I see this happen to me in some of my own “not so great” EC runs…ROFLOL!!

Hey, knowledge, whether great or not, isn’t worth anything unless shared, right? :slight_smile: Congratulations on Euphrates seedlings! Wow!