Tesselaar Plants today announced the introduction of a brand

Tesselaar Plants today announced the introduction of a brand new line of “decorator roses” – the Sweet Spot™ series. Designed to offer a kaleidoscope of …

See: Press Releases Archive - Digital Journal

Hi Henry, interesting plants in the flickr ad they have of them, it appears to me there is a lot of “blotch” in them. We have Tesselaar’s here in Australia, I wonder if they will carry them and if so how long before they get into our market. Thanks Henry.

Sweet Spot roses on Flickr…

Sweet Spot roses plant profiles…

For those who don’t want to have to dig for them in the original article. I have to admit, viewing them, I kept thinking, "Yeah, that one is the Hulthemia version of Halo Glory; this one sure looks like Halo Sunrise; oh my! There’s Peach Halo! I wish Ralph could see this. He’d be grinning his big, old ears off!

Is there a getting on the bandwagon thing coming here?

I was just on another link looking at them and its not only the blotch but the colour intensity, health looks superb and look at the way they are flowering in true floribunda flower formation. Who ever their hybridizer is, well done to you.

I might get the Belgiums to get a few for me as I will be over there minimum of 2 months in 2014, will be able to do some pollinating and get the seeds sent back to Oz to grow and develop.

Warren

The only parents named are seed parent Strabo Babylon and pollen parent Eridu Babylon. I’d not be surprised to learn (eventually) that these two are the parents or grandparents of all the Sweet Spotâ„¢ roses.

Here are the individual roses listed on the page Henry linked us to:

Sweet Spotâ„¢ Calypso
Botanical name/cultivar: Rosa L. hybrid var. ‘IntRos01’
Parentage: Cross between two unnamed Rosa L. hybrid seedlings at Interplant Roses

Sweet Spotâ„¢ Ruby
Botanical name/cultivar: Rosa L. hybrid var. ‘IntRos03’
Parentage: Cross between Rosa L. hybrid seedlings (unnamed seed parent and pollen parent Eridu Babylon), at Interplant Roses

Sweet Spotâ„¢ Peach
Botanical name/cultivar: Rosa L. hybrid var. ‘IntRos02’
Parentage: Cross between two unnamed Rosa L. hybrid seedlings, at Interplant Roses

Sweet Spotâ„¢ Yellow
Botanical name/cultivar: Rosa L. hybrid var. ‘IntRos04’
Parentage: Cross between 2 Rosa L. hybrid seedlings (seed parent Strabo Babylon and pollen parent Eridu Babylon), at Interplant Roses

I wouldn’t, either. I’m interested in the Ruffles series they produce and have obtained budwood of two so far. They appear to also be “incestuous” like this likely are.

Ruffles Dream You can find the rest by searching for “ruffles” on HMF. They impress me as being related to Roger Lambelin, like Art Nouveau is.

As long as the “sweet spots” stay in the flowers, the roses will look pretty good. If the “sweet spots” slip down to the leaves . . . well, that won’t look quite as good.

Peter a lot of the Europpean breeders are pretty good, as a lot of chemicals which the average Jo gardener has access to in Europe has been taken off the shelves. The European breeders being very aware of limited access to chemicals by the average gardener makes their breeding programmes step up to the next level, Kordes material now is really spot on being spotless. I was made very aware of this situation before I sent budwood to Europe and only the creme de la creme went over.

Kordes material now is really spot on being spotless.

It amazes me that we have not seen this stuff on the market here. What could be the reason for that?

Don are you saying that the most recent material from Kordes has problems?

No, I’m saying we can’t buy it here.

Kordes and J&P had a reciprocal agreement for many years, paying each other not to compete. Sort of a right of first refusal set up. Now that J&P probably doesn’t have those kinds of funds anymore, there really isn’t an “American agent”, except for the few you see appearing at Heirloom. Many of their things do show up in Canadian sources, though.

Kordes has a captive American producer:

www.newflora.net

Despite this we don’t see any new Kordes roses, or even recent ones.

I highly doubt that any of the remaining major rose nurseries would risk anti-trust charges by colluding in restraint of trade tactics.

Cool! I was looking through the site and brochure to determine if they are producing liners for resale or simply providing bud wood? I’m glad this exists and hope it succeeds!

A LONG time ago, a friend was searching for Flamingo. She knew someone who knew someone who was a friend of Keith Zary’s. She visited him at Somis and he provided her a plant. She inquired if they had it, why it wasn’t released. He said they had a reciprocal agreement with them. If either company had a new variety which appeared to compete with something the other offered, royalties were paid for the potentially lost sales due to it being held back. J&P had Flamingo and used it for breeding, but paid for the “privilege” of not having to compete against it.

Here are the retail sellers of Kordes Roses in North America, according to NewFlora.

Yes sir, I saw those. Is Newflora simply an office or do they “produce” anything?

I haven’t checked recently but, as of this past winter when I had time to browse, Cheery Lady is their only recent (2012) HT introduction that has top bs and mildew resistance.

It looks related to Rina Hugo to me. I wish they would disclose more of their parentages.

Oh My, is Ruffles Dream a beauty. However, for me I would have to wonder how well they would take the heat in my garden.