spring 2012 imports and Austrian Yellow

I will be importing the following from Denmark next spring: Aicha (for Margit), Andrewsii, Burnet Marbled Pink, Else, Flora Plena, Huldra, Kakwa, Kathrin Vidar, Lochinvar, Lookos, Litikkarusu, Marbled Pink, Marzipan, Namdulsrose, Petite Ecossaise, Poppius, Totenvikrose, Tove Jansson, Euphrates x 2 (1 for Claire), Poslini Kaunatar, Caerulea, Ruuhi Jarvi, Ruskela and Kerisula. I will also be getting Irish Marbled, Falkland and Dunwich Rose.

BTW Gottfried Keller is a good repeating yellow which should be cold tolerant. I will try to tip layer it if anyone is interested. Ormiston Roy is also a very very good yellow but it does not repeat - at least none of mine do.

I still have not been able to find a US/Canada source for Austrian Yellow, does anyone know where I might be able to get it? If I need to I will import from Denmark next spring but I would prefer not to have the potential hassle with quanantine on this particular rose as it will probably develop disease.

I decided that I may use Williams III next year onto a dwarf repeater (Midnight Blue, I’m assuming) to see if I can get the hips in seedlings. However, pollen is easy to get from it. I never thought I’d be using Scots roses, but the hips taste the best on this one.

Maybe some day I’ll see Orminston Roy in person. Which reminds me, Golden Wings produces large, hard, and orange golf-ball-like hips. Theyre insanely tough.

Hi Leonard!!

This is wonderful!!! Is the Flora Plena the double form of Rosa hemisphaerica? That would be awesome if it is. I’m working on a project with others trying to do some DNA fingerprinting to see how closely related it is to Persian Yellow, but have been having trouble getting a sample. All we would need is a couple young unfolding leaves. If that is the same rose and if it would be possible, we would sure appreciate it. If someone out there knows of another source, too that would be wonderful. Marissa from Greenmantle has one, but it was eaten back severely by deer and hopefully will regrow come spring and would be able to share a sample then. If someone else is growing it and it has some leaves on now and would be willing to share a couple, that would help immensely.

Thank you!

David

I’ve been looking for this one for awhile too. The closest I got was this year when I tried to get the R. hemisphaerica that was available from Euro Desert but it was already spoken for. Seems like this one goes fast when you find that one rare plant of it being offered. That one and every other yellow species Cliff had was pretty much gone - and I asked within the first few days of the closing announcement.

I’m pretty sure from what I have read, R. hemisphaerica would bring a lot of disease issues to a breeding program, but I’d still like to grow it and maybe play with it a bit.

David and Andre;

I tried for years to get a cross from the double form of R. hemisphaerica, it is extremely difficult due to the lack of anthers. Some times 10 if your lucky and then you have to get the pollen to release. When I pollinate using this cultivar, I use jewellers magnifying glasses as to utilise every pollen grain.

A few years back I managed to get the pollen to stick on Altissimo and got two seedlings, bloom was single very dk red, foliage dk green and leathery, thorns where numerous and small and hooked like R. canina. It got touched by a little PM .

Pollen from one of these seedlings was put on Charles Austin and two seedlings were kept. One is a very large single yellow with crimped edging to the petals and the other is in the page link below. The health of these two seedlings is extremely good with out any sign of BS and PM showing up.

R. hemisphaerica is a difficult cultivar to use in a breeding programme, First blooms are extremely doubled so its better to wait for the later blooms which may be a little looser to obtain pollen.

Warren

Link: i49.servimg.com/u/f49/15/69/45/38/30e_9610.jpg

Currently I have Rosa Hugonis Flora Plena. I am getting Rosa Spinosissima Flora Plena.

Hi Warren,

Wow, that is great Warren!!! It sounds like the double Rosa hemisphaerica is a challenging parent indeed!! That is wonderful you have some descendants of it! Do you still have the double Rosa hemisphaerica? Are there any leaves on it you would be willing to send? It would be really fun to learn if it is the direct parent of Persian Yellow and if so, what the other parent could be as well. It seems like Rosa foetida is likely not a true botanical species, but is of hybrid origin and clones are perpetuated through cultivation. In a recent study most all of the ‘Austrian Copper’ plants throughout Iran were the same genotype. Persian Yellow and Austrian Copper are basically female sterile- not a good trait for a self-sustaining species also suggesting hybrid origin. With ‘Persian Yellow’ being such a key parent in bringing in yellow in modern roses, it would sure be fun to learn more about its origin.

Sincerely,

David

Hi !

Last week I visited one big botanical garden in Madrid, and there were also r. hemisferica and r. foetida shrubs. What a pity I did not know, that hemisfericas leaves were wanted, could have easily taken some. The park is quite far, and unfortunately I do not have a posibility to go there now.

I managed to get three hips of r. foetida. There were four seeds inside of them. Does anyone know something about foetida’ s seeds germination rates ?

Pia

Many years ago I got a very few hips on Austrian Copper using Carefree Beauty pollen. I got one double pink flower that bloomed twice in its first year and then died. Sure did surprise me that it bloomed.

That’s why I favor using Carefree Copper, which has the look of a doubled Austrian Copper, plus some female fertility. Seeds of that have germinated and made it through culling. The one nearest in my memory is with Rainbow Knock Out as pollen donor. Also got some with Carefree Sunshine. Only 1 in 4 pollinations was successful at best, and seeds were few per hip. Similar to the story with New Dawn. But we persist. Nothing I’d call a big winner but progress in disease resistance for sure. And a fraction are repeat-blooming.

Howdy David Z;

The big problem with R. hemisphaerica, it is so doubled I think almost every anther has been converted to petals and what anthers are left, are so tiny, giving small yields of pollen. I have seen this cultivar’s bloom so tight, that when trying to open, it actually splits in half. I have never seen a hip form on this cultivar so may be similar to what you said about Persian Yellow and Austrian Copper. I suppose if some one had the time and did a gene map on these four (Persian Yellow, Austrian Copper and R. hemisphaerica and its double form) to see if any similarities are there.

David I have access to a R. hemisphaerica double if you wanted leaves but I am not sure of the Quarantine laws of sending vegetative material from Australia to the USA.

In the page link is the other seedling from the same cross as the above, both form hips, the single form is very fertile.

Warren

Link: i49.servimg.com/u/f49/15/69/45/38/01210.jpg

Wow, thank you Warren!!

I’m not sure if things are different for Australia, but this is what we were able to do from Norway. A botanical garden was able to send a couple dried leaves to me for DNA extraction. THey were just newer leaves that were dried and sent in a plastic baggie in case they got crunchy and broke up some.

I’ll see if I can learn more.

Thank you!!!

David

The rose from Norway was ‘Harison’s Yellow’ documented as coming to them in the late 1800’s. We (Peter Harris leading the way) are trying to navigate how many clones are floating around out there as ‘Harison’s Yellow’.

The challenge of using R. hemisphaerica makes me want to see it even more. I will continue to search for a source. It’s not an immediate need (Trying to collect some more Bucks and Canadian hardies right now) but eventually I’d like to at least grow it. It’s on the list with Hazeldean and R. ecae.

Leonard, I’m curious about Flora Plena. Do you have a link showing Rosa spinosissima Flora Plena. HMF has a bunch of double R. spinosissima varieties but none under that name.

David Z, The part below is from Warren’s post.

David I have access to a R. hemisphaerica double if you wanted leaves but I am not sure of the Quarantine laws of sending vegetative material from Australia to the USA.

Do you know what the import conditions ‘might’ be from Australia on ‘leaf’ material. If warren has no contacts in our Quarrantine. I have 2 that I could send an email to and ask them the rules on it if that helps your DNA project, Regards David.

Andre,

here is the link to r.pimpinellafolio flora plena.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.22638.1

I could say this about R. Pimpinellafolia Flora Plena, that it has heavenly scent. I remember my grand mother had it, and I never forgot the scent- even as an adult. Now I have two shrubs of them for sentimental reasons and maybe some day in a future will put some pollen on the blooms…

The autumn color of the foliage is outstanding !

Oh wow. That is some spectacular fall foliage. The blooms are nice too. If I felt a little more confortable with importing roses, that one would definitely be on my list.

BTW I did notice that Vintage Gardens has Austrian Yellow listed as a custom root under the name R. foetida. Not sure if they still have it or would be able to get you a sucker of it but it is still listed on their website under the tab for species available as a custom root.

Hi Leonard

Which supplier do you order these roses from in Denmark?

There are lots of interesting species I can see and I might also order some too.

I live in Denmark so it should be easy without any quanantine :slight_smile:

Regards

Bo

I am ordering from Rosenposten.