Seeking OP Rosa foliolosa seed

I have decided to give R foliolosa a go this season, however I would prefer to start it from seed, instead of purchasing a grafted specimen form a local nursery (less chance of graft-related diseases, and more chance of a unique foliolosa F1 in an OP seedling).

Is anyone prepared/able to send me some OP R.Foliolosa seed?

While you are at it get ‘Ann Endt’. I’m not entirely convinced it is anything but a nice variant of foliolosa and not a rugosa x foliolosa hybrid as reported. It looks identical to Paul’s seedling IMO. Which ever way it goes it would be an excellent start to bring foliolosa and rugosa (if it has any) in at the same time. I have hips forming on it now that are pretty much ripe. You are welcome to these if you’d like them. They germinate real easy and make extremely tough seedlings. My OP ‘Ann Endt’ seedling is two years old and still hasn’t flowered but they are building into beautiful shrubby roses. Seedlings from the same batch that I sent to Goulburn have already flowered (they are getting pampered more than the one I kept is). I will get a photo over the next day or so when I finish fencing the new trial bed.

Yeah…thanks for that! I’ll think about it too.

Simon, if anyone is able to send R.foloilosa seed to Oz, would you loke some of it if there is enough?

loke = like

I’m happy to work with ‘Ann Endt’. It’s probably not pure foliolosa given it’s super thorny like a rugosa but the foliolosa is strong in it. Given it’s fertility, I think I’m ahead of the game using it instead… especially now it is behaving itself.

This is my ‘Ann Endt’

My Macboy’s Roses says that ‘Ann Endt’ is a garden form of foliolosa. I’ve not grown foliolosa but the books say it is meant to be almost thornless so I’d say garden form of foliolosa means from a bee-hip not a self-hip.

Actually, I noticed there was a whole stack of seedlings coming up under ‘Ann Endt’ in the garden. I can dig a few out and send them instead (or as well). I’m only going to weed them out.

LOL… there are sooo many interesting avenues to follow in hybridizing roses!

The main reason I am seeking R.foliolosa the species, is to develop an interesting line of thornless roses.

I hate picking bits of rose thorn out of my hands!!

Too bad ‘Ann Endt’ isn’t available in the states yet. What a pretty colored rose with some very desirable traits.

Simon, your photographs are beautiful! If you haven’t already, would you please post them to HMF? Quality, botanical type photos like this are exactly what the site needs! Thank you.

Ann may not be commercially available here yet, but there are four American gardens listed as growing her here. Kim

Heirlooms sells Ann Endt from time to time.

Kim, I post so many photos to HMF that I lose track of what I do and what I haven’t :wink: The thorny one is already on but the other two aren’t. I’ll will get these ones on though… they escaped into the ‘those I haven’t batch’…

Thanks Simon. I know that feeling well! Kim

Just remembered I uploaded photos of my OP ‘Ann Endt’ seedling to HMF. See link.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.17637&threadID=49308&qcID=49322&tab=32#q49322

Rosa Foliolosa seed, if dried and labeled as such is allowed entry into my country. If there is anyone here who has this seed but is worried about he cost of postage or wishes to charge a few, I am very happy to do this. Normally I would go to B&T seeds and just order some direct, but I can’t see they are supplying it.

few=fee

My clone of R. foliolosa came from Countryside Roses and seems to be the typical pink form in commerce. Two years ago it was covered in open pollinated hips, so I collected them to test germination. Germination was great, with dozens of seedlings. I’ve only kept two to this point. The first bloomed today, and it’s white. It appears identical to the parent in every way except bloom color. The other OP foliolosa seedling shows no indication that it will bloom this year. The parent plant is not thorn-free, but it has few thorns. Both OP seedlings are thornier than the parent, the non-blooming one being much thornier. The non-blooming one also differs some in appearance, so I’m wondering now if it’s a hybrid.

Mark

The proper color of foliolosa over most of its range is white, as documented by the botanist Walter Lewis, who studied that species extensively. Hence the common name of white prairie rose. So that part’s good. Can’t comment on the rest.

My friend LOVES his Basye’s Purple, which many of you know is highly infertile. However, it is so potent with anthocyanins that everything about it is as purple-red as it gets. Knowing this, I have made an Ann Endt x Ann Endt. When it blooms, we’ll use it as a seed parent for Basye’s Purple. We are also currently working on Purple Pavement x Ann Endt, Elfinglo x Ann Endt, Elfinglo x Basye’s Purple, and Purple Pavement x Basye’s Purple. My friend loves purple. Personally, its not my thing, however intriquing. I am looking for diploid anthocyanin-rich hip-setters w/ repeat :slight_smile:

Years ago I got five or six seedlings from Yellow Jewel with pollen from Basye’s Purple. All were once flowering, single and white. Terribly thorny and weird growing plants which I kept for three or four years, then dumped. I never got anything else from it. Kim

Yeah, I am avoiding yellows. Its hard to avoid climbing and elongation traits in diploids, though. I am trying, mostly out of boredom, Yellow Bantam x Therese Bugnet, which will probably yield jack. Its a pointless cross since the primary wichuarana-type diploid that Im using this year is actually your Red Fairy. Carefree Marvel was supposed to be it, but its blooming late since its a new plant (my original was destroyed by Verizon). I dumped a lot of diploids (mixed pollen, mostly) on Red Fairy, lol, but not for the purples. I even put David’s Cherry Oh! on it, which is VERY red, and probably a good choice for getting repeating purple diploids, if anyone is looking for something new to try. Cherry Oh! got a little bigger than I expected though. Its quite large already, and it has very rugose multiflora foliage. Its definitely unique. If I can remember to next year, I may cross it with Art Deco, which is probably the “reddest” fertile diploid I have seen to date. Unfortunately, red leaves/wood and multiflora invites mildew, so its definitely a tight wire to cross.