Season 2022/2023

Latest season going well, wanted to share progress with all of you. The first blooms will arrive soon and will post here if something interesting pops up. Lets hope a few are worth to show.:+1::muscle:Focus was on Hulthemia so hopefully it shows a bit color.

7 Likes

That’s a lot of seedlings, congratulations! They look great and I hope they will grow well!
May I ask which Hulthemias you were experimenting with? If you used them as seed parents, I’d be especially curious to know if any of them had particularly good germination rates.

Hi,Timo.congratulations!
I am curious about what the white medium covering the surface of the pot. Can you provide an answer,Thanks.

Hi, thanks! I use Eye of the Tiger, EyeConic, Sunset Babylon Eyes and Fancy Babylon Eyes. Looking at my data they work good as a pollenparent. Mostly on Westerland and The Simple Life. They set hips but as a seedparent not high germinationrate. Pollen does pretty well.

1 Like

Hi, thanks!
The white covering is rough round aquarium sand. I used it to prevent mold growing when the seedling where inside the house. I tested a few ways. Also with a layer of rough shell sand which is used in birdcages but that was to sharp and didn’t want to damage the seedlings. So far it works pretty well. Now using it, I wondering if the reflection of the lights from below helps a bit with growing. I will make a close up picture later on so you can see better.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Unknown parents but its cute. Lost the tags sadly. Hope the yellow stays. More to come soon!

4 Likes

Loving this thread, I have only grown 3 roses from seed and those were a test to see I could do it, who knows what they are! Can’t wait to do my first crosses this year! That untagged rose is beautiful

It is very cloudy in The Netherlands and spring is really cold till now. Blooms wont show up soon. I retired the growinglight because all seedlings are outside, but now set it up again for a few plants. Other people have bit of delay going on?

1 Like

Yes!
Even down here in Malta, this spring is unusually cool and rainy.
Usually by now rains have stopped and temps would be in the mid-20’s, but it’s several degrees below that (19 today), quite windy, and more rain coming this weekend. The plants aren’t complaining of course, and the non-rose once-bloomers are going on longer than last year.
Seedlings that I took outside are only the toughest ones, and they are having to deal with strong winds. I am leaving them outside, but delaying putting the more fragile ones out until the weather settles down a bit.
I am sure in about a month or two we will be complaining about how hot it is, so… Might as well enjoy this!

Suppose to be Midnight Blue x Eye of the Tiger.
But still cute roses and no deseases shown up so far.

5 Likes

Did you mostly use Hulthemia hybrids as pollen parent or also as seed parent?

Here in Belgium also quite cloudy. But today we’ve a sunny day. I’ve been cutting the flower buds of my seedlings for a few weeks now until I plant them outside I’ll keep doing that. I want them to use their energy to grow.

My Hulthemia crossings didn’t germinate this year. The ones with Eye ot Tiger as pollen parent were the only ones that set hips. But no luck in getting seedlings unfortunately.

Wich roses did you successfully pollinate with Eye ot T, if I can be so bold to ask?

1 Like

This year I started with them so I just did both ways and testing which rose is a good match. Most of the time Sunset Babylon Eyes, Eye of the Tiger and EyeConic did set hips. They did very well on The Simple Life and Westerland. Also i used a few unknown roses I found in the neighborhood.
I will look later on my datasheet next week.

2 Likes

Two days ago germinated my absolutely latest, but the first and so far only seedling from the cross ‘Rotes Phänomen’ X ‘Eye of the Tiger’. If it develops well, I will show some photos of a further progress.

2 Likes

@TimoNL those blooms have wonderful color! They both look really nice, well done!
@KarelBvn sorry to read that your hulthemia crosses didn’t germinate. I hope it will be better with this year’s crosses!
@Roseus Rotes Phaneomen × Eye of the Tiger sounds very exciting! I hope you will show us how it turns out!

2 Likes

of Warners, the one that seems to germinate the easiest is Candy Eyes/Eye To Eye. The eye doesn’t always pass on though. It’s not the best germination rate in the world but it’s not bad either.

plant grows pretty much the same as flower carpet pink though, low, long canes, large prickles, not ideal but it’s the better germinator of his hulthemia.

1 Like

Probably as seed parent? Any luck with Hulthemia as pollen parent? I’m guessing using them as seed parent would work better due to a probable lower ploidy in hybrid Hulthemias.

1 Like

Candy Eyes as seed parent yes.

I’ve used Bright As A Button/Raspberry Kiss and Eyes For You as pollen and have had results (eyed seedlings from none eyed seed parents).

Most of the time I end up with similar trait type pollen (eg all eyed pollens together) unless I’m looking for a more specific result (eg, not just eyed, but purple eyed, which is why Eyes For You was separated and run through blue for you/ebb tide/adorable/etc) so can’t be more precise on pollen, they are all mostly interchangeable to my plans.

2 Likes

It really doesn’t help us that the lineage for a lot of the hulthemia hybrids is undisclosed, so we can’t tell which ones are proven seed parents or known to pass on the blotch.
I’ve recently added Alissar, Princess of Phoenicia to my garden, for the sole reason that she is a known seed parent to a blotched rose, Persian Sun. But that may prove to be a disappointment: I don’t know if Vissers had to plant thousands of seeds to get a few germinations, or if the blotch passed down easily. I’ll obviously be trying her this year and will report back.

How its going vs how its started. This is one of the seedlings from a cross that gave me near 100% germination. I plan to make the same cross this year.

4 Likes