Scots roses

Sadly, the ‘Golden Wings’ that I planted here in Maryland, only lived for a year. That year, I had planted ‘Westerland’, ‘Golden Wings’ and a third rose (that I can’t remember now) around our lamp post at the old house. ‘Westerland’ became a monster, engulfing the lamppost. But, ‘Golden Wings’ struggled for a year and then died. I still remember the few blooms I got though, they were very pretty!

I’ve had no luck with ‘Baby Love’ either. I’m wondering if it might be the local strains of pathogens, because from what I remember, neither ‘Golden Wings’ nor ‘Baby Love’ could keep their leaves here. Olga, have you tried either of these roses in your garden?

I’m picturing that 15 year old ‘Golden wings’ – I’ll bet it is a sight to see!!!

Yeah, it’s huge. It has Iceberg planted to the left, mostly unpruned on purpose, and Erfurt planted in front. It looks like a color explosion, and Erfurt makes the air smell sweet.

Jadae,

Do you get hips to set on Carefree Marvel? I’m not having any luck this 1st season with mine.

Rob

Yes, one of my best seedlings is from Carefree Marvel as a seed parent. In fact, I put about 10 tetraploid pollen types on it this year as well. I may suggest using the mixed pollen attempt like I do for it. It seems to be working very well for me. The trick in doing so is to make sure each pollen parent is disparate enough to ID after it germinates.

Tom, yes, I tried both Baby Love and Golden Wings here. Baby Love was clean for couple years and then got horrible BS, absolutelu uncontrolable. My sister who lives in MD too had very similar experience. I also remember that MichaelG who used to post at GW said that he had similar experience with it in NC mountain area.

Golden Wing is not resistant here at all in my experience, which is a pity because it is so beautiful.

Olga

This is the best of the seedlings I got out of Golden Wings as pollen parent last season. Vigor is fair. Fragrance is pretty good. Substance is excellent.

The link is another Golden Wings seedling. The color was light yellow in cooler weather. I’m sure it’s a hybrid which doubles up on spinossisima.

Photos taken today. Our weather is very warm so form, color and petal count may yet improve.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.47743.0&tab=1

I like the yellow one above. I like the clear definition between the yellow and white.

Thanks Adam, Our weather has been in the teens here so this blossom isn’t indicative of what it would look like for most people. No doubt the color will be richer. I’m curious as to whether it’s going to be too double for most folks.

Olga, can you please tell me where you got Doorenbos Selection? Vintage has it but it is custom root and I would rather not wait a year for it.

Don, I got my DS from Vintage when it was availble approx two years ago. It is still young plant for me but it looks like I will have plenty of suckers to give away next spring. If you are interested I can send you sucker when one is ready.

Olga

Olga, I would love to get a sucker of DS. Email me and I’ll send you my particulars. Thanks.

dholeman1 at cox ~ net.

I’ve grown the ALTAI rose for years here in my Hardiness Zone lb, and over the years I’ve crossed it with various rose pollens in the hopes of getting seedlings with different colours, but possessing the hardiness of the ALTAI rose(=R. spinosissima var. altaica). I’d love to get some open-pollinated seeds of various Scots rose cultivars this autumn. Can anyone send me some seeds??

I think using Harrison’s Yellow would be a good parent… it doesn’t pass deep yellows, but yellows nonetheless. (As I’ve heard.) I had some seeds, but they usually die off. I’m thinking it’s because the pollen parent may have been too distant. I, however, have a seedling with beautiful foliage and wicked thorns which looks rather beautiful too. It’s making a lot of new growth from the base.

It looks very much like spinosissima, so it maybe a self pollinated seedling, or pollinated with another Scotch rose.

If it’s fertile, I would love to work with it with other spinossisima roses.

What about Aicha, a nice deep yellow hybrid tea X pimpinellifolia hybrid from Denmark? Is it available in USA? I was lucky to find one in a local bulk garden centre last spring, and have used it as pollen parent right away (on yellow Austins).

Jukka

Finland

Stanley,

I have OP Harrison’s Yellow, ready to sow or germinte in the bag. I have one very beautiful seedling in the ground. I can imagine it being pretty in structure and the flowers creamy to yellow in coloring.

I see one gerimination, which I’m going to plant up. But you can have the rest. It’s nearly one year old, on Agust 28, 2007. I feed these seeds to one of my pet ringneck doves, Dorian.

email me at this email… (eliminate the spaces and the quoatation marks.) Since we’re unnabe to contact each other through email… because of a certain spammer, I will post my alternative email here.

“a/m/o/a/n/i/m/u/s” “@” “g/m/a/i/l/./c/o/m”

Unfortunately, ‘Aicha’ has been very prone to blackspot in the Midwest in the U.S. (defoliating nearly completely, and early in the season) whereas ‘Harison’s Yellow’ in the same environment is quite clean. I understand that ‘Harison’s Yellow’ is not as resistant for some people, but I’ve found it at least reasonably healthy in most places I’ve seen it. I have one seedling of ‘Doorenbos Selection’ (open-pollinated - I’m nearly certain the pollen parent was 'Harison’s Yellow, however) that has a pretty, very fragrant, light-pink, hand-painted-looking flower; so far it is somewhat taller than the seed parent (which I no longer have), but still relatively compact, and completely healthy and vigorous. It’s a once-bloomer, of course.

Here is a photo of the seedling’s first bloom this spring:

Beautiful Stefan!

Thank you, Robert! I forgot to mention that it appears to be quite fertile, as it produced nine hips (small, round, and black) which have been sown directly. We’ll see if anything results. I know that ‘Doorenbos Selection’ isn’t a very prolific fruiting variety, so the increase in female fertility in its seedling is wonderful to see.

Very nice, Stefan. That hand-painted marbling is one of the things I like best about spins. I admit a preference for the few very dwarf cultivars, as they are easy to use in the garden.

For keen rosarians living in cold (Zone 2 - 3) climates, Scotch roses are among the most valuable to have in the home landscape. Along with native and non-native species roses, they are the first to flower in the spring. Unfortunately, even in cold climates where they have the most value it is rare to see them grown in home landscapes.

Ironically, in Canadian Prairie public rose gardens Scotch roses are very much appreciated by visitors in early spring. After a long and cold winter, people want to see lots of colour in landscapes and they are awed by the spectacular display of Scotch rose flowers.

There will never be a great demand for Scotch roses, because people generally only want to grow repeat blooming rose cultivars. Personally, because of the value of them in cold climate landscapes any Scotch rose cultivar I can acquire to plant in a Canadian Prairie public rose garden I regard as a treasure. However, once the available ones are acquired then obviously the next step is to develop them. This isn’t the easiest thing to do because of the difficulty germinating the seed.

A couple routes I’m taking to develop Scotch roses is to first work with ‘Prairie Youth’, since its seeds germinate readily. The second is to cross Scotch rose cultivars with a relatively cold hardy shrub rose like 'Morden Centennial’whose seeds germinate easily. Then if breeding lines can be developed having good pistillate fertility, Scotch rose cultivars can be “back crossed” to them. This strategy should also expand the colour range in Scotch roses.

I hope other breeders take up the challenge of developing more Scotch roses. It is one of the more difficult types of roses to work with, but there is none more rewarding when there is success.