Recommended Rugosas for pollen or hips

Can I please have some suggestions for rugosa that are potentially good pod or pollen parents for hybridization? I am interested in pursuing a yellow or gold rugosa hybrid with retention of the Rugose leaves and dense shrub form. Any suggestions are welcome.
Tim

2 Likes

Welcome back Tim! Ralph Moore accomplished the yellow Rugosa using his fertile triploid mini, Golden Angel. I doubt you’ll get a “dense shrub form” in the first generation as Topaz Jewel is a yellow Rugosa-ish but it isn’t a dense shrub. You may need to raise several and cross them together. I’d use the Advanced Search on Help Me Find-Roses and search for Hybrid Rugosa class and “any yellow” color. That will bring up many which have yellow in their listing so you’ll have to sort through them to see what resulted in results similar to what you hope to raise.

2 Likes

Tom Silvers got a cool hybrid from rugosa x xanthina: 'Rosa rugosa X Rosa xanthina' Rose

‘Musician’ is an apricot/yellow blend: 'Musician' Rose

That being said, I love using ‘Fru Dagmar Hastrup’. Very fertile for me, but the seeds can take 2 seasons before they’ll germinate.

-Jonathan

1 Like

Schneezwerg is my go to Rugosa. It is possible to even get juvenile repeat if you cross it with a good repeating rose that matches.

Hansa is a good mother.

1 Like

Some interesting ideas to mull over!