Ralph Moore Roses Field Day!

I am posting this invitation from Michelle Nelson of Texas AgriLife Research with her permission. If anyone can attend, please RSVP with her.

Please join us on October 13, 2011 for the 2nd Annual Rose Field Day to view the un-released rose lines developed by Ralph Moore, as well as a portion of his commercially available varieties. As many of you know, Ralph Moore donated his life’s work to Texas AgriLife Research (AgriLife), a component of the Texas A&M University System. As stewards of this valuable collection of genetic diversity, we wanted to move this collection from the mild climate where it was developed to a harsher climate in order to evaluate its performance and determine areas of adaptation, prior to commercialization efforts.

Much of this material has never before been seen by the public unless one previously had the opportunity to visit Ralph Moore’s Sequoia Nursery in Visalia, California.

This material is now being utilized in the AgriLife rose breeding program led by Dr. David Byrne. One of our goals is to make as much of this collection available to the gardening public so that they too may enjoy the fruits of Mr. Moore’s work. Our method for accomplishing this task is to make available material of interest to the wholesale nursery industry through evaluation and commercial license agreements.

We would welcome your inputs and solicit your interest. Please see the attached invitation and we hope to see you on October 13th. This collection is planted at Seville Farms in Mansfield, Texas in Seville’s evaluation nursery.

Public viewing of this collection will be conducted between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM with lunch being served to those attending.

Thanks in advance for your interest and we hope to see you on October 13th.

Regards,

Michelle NelsonAssistant Project Manager

Texas AgriLife Research

979/458-2671 Office

979/219-1318 Cell

m_nelson[at]tamu[dot]edu

(please change [at] and [dot] to @ and .)

Sure wish I lived closer…would love to attend and purchase some for my collection. Sounds like a great event!

Just sent in my RSVP to attend the Field Day. My Hubby(Enabler) is taking a day of vacation and we will be on the road by 6:30 to get there on time. So excited to be able to attend. Thanks, Jim, for posting this. Will have my camera and notebook in hand to soak up as much info as I can. Please post here if anyone has any questions you would like me to ask or pictures you want me to take and I will do my best.

PLEASE look for Huntington Pink Moss

'7-58-1' Rose . It’s a semi double, lightish pink moss HT type plant. It’s behind Rougemoss and Dresden Doll and is a very nice garden plant itself.

Another you might keep an eye out for is Huntington Pink Ice. 'Huntington Pink Ice' Rose It’s a wonderful garden floribunda in these parts. Both were included in the group Ralph donated to The Huntington Library for exclusive fund raisers. None of which they saw fit to actually plant anywhere.

I would love knowing whether they even exist any longer. Paul Barden was unable to get any information out of TAMU as to their existence. Kim

Thought I might add the Bastrop County Rose Society will have Natalie Anderson of TAMU as a guest speaker at our meeting on January 6 if anyone is in the area and would like to attend we would be happy to welcome you.

Kim, will put these roses on my list and check on them for you.

Joan I would love reading an article in the newsletter summarizing the visit.

Thank you Joan! Kim

Hi Joan,

Thank you for your plans to attend the Ralph Moore Roses Field Day. I agree with Adam that it would be really great if you could share your experiences with the group in the newsletter. I hope that you have a fantastic time!

Jim Sproul

Thanks for the request. I will probably do an article for my local rose newsletter so could forward my observations on for the Hybridizers Newsletter also.

Great! We’d be glad to have them.

Leaving this afternoon for the Ralph Moore Field Day. Going up and spending the night so as to be sure we don’t miss anything. Really excited. If anyone has any questions or pictures you want me to take, please post here, will check back this evening.

Joan, if it is not to much to ask, would it be possible to take a picture of his first ‘rose’ if it is there and say ‘his’ most outstanding rose. I am still learning things about his work, thanks in advance , David.

Hi David, unfortunately, his “first rose” is extinct. Baby Mine was a Mlle. Cecile Brunner seedling which has been extinct for many decades. 'Baby Mine' Rose Many of his roses are lost, but there are some earlier ones still around. I have no idea what there might be at TAMU. I know they received just about everything there was at Sequoia and that both Carolyn and Burling worked like dogs for weeks making sure everything was clearly labeled before they were taken. Yet, when Paul contacted TAMU inquiring if they had one of his roses, the response received was “we have 500, 5 gallon cans out there without tags”. I know of no list of what’s being grown. It would be very nice to know what is still there.

His “most outstanding rose”? Of course, that is going to vary from one person to the next, but what even he considered his “masterpiece” is Linda Campbell. She’s one of his most bullet proof landscaping types in many climates. She isn’t perfect, but what is? She IS a rather remarkable result from that breeding. Too bad she’s sterile.

What would you consider his “most outstanding rose”? The best striped mini? The best mossed mini, either solid or striped? The first repeat flowering Hulthemia cross? His best hybrid Rugosa, or hybrid Bracteata, or first generation repeat flowering Soulieanas, or Californica, or? How about his crested hybrids? Or, would it be one of the more disease resistant, ever blooming garden minis? How about the Halo Roses? Giving the impression of Hulthemia, but containing none of its genes. What about Pink Clouds? Introduced in the fifties as competition to Ragged Robin for use as hedges, it became the preferred root stock for any budding they did. All mini trees they sold went out on Pink Cloud’s roots. Burling created large standards, including quite tall weepers on it for years.

There are also his new Hybrid Perpetuals bred from minis and Paul Neyron. There were “new Teas” resulting from minis crossed with Tea roses. Or, would the most outstanding be his yellow Rugosa, Topaz Jewel? Or, the most successful commercial variety? How about Rise’n Shine? Probably one of his most used minis by others. HMF lists 148 distinct, first generation offspring, though some are duplicated by multiple names.

I was blessed to watch those seedlings come, and go, since the early eighties and there were many which impressed me as ‘outstanding’. Pink Powderpuff is a heart breakingly beautiful climber! The greenish-white, thornless Rugosa-mini hybrid that sported to a deeper yellow was rather impressive. Renae is an outstanding rose. Red Moss Rambler, little known and not easily available now, is an outstanding mossed, rambler, though once flowering. Closer to Heaven is outstanding for its size and intensity of cresting. MORsoucrest is an outstanding rose and never saw the light of day. I can only vouch for its performance in Visalia and here, but it’s bullet proof in the climates I’ve observed it and grown it in. Ever flowering, intensely fragrant, beautifully crested, though not enough for Ralph, and just flat out beautiful as a flower and a plant. Another product of his enigmatic Soulieana and Crested Jewel. How on earth do you obtain continuous flowering from Soulieana and a once flowering OGR cross?

The weekend should be quite interesting! I hope Joan is able to find plants and flowers on Huntington Pink Ice (MORhunt), Huntington Pink Moss (7-58-1) and many dozen others. Kim

Back from the Field Day I have lots to share, but will save most for the article in the Newsletter. Just let me say that the Texas A & M Aggies and Maggies and Seville Farms are taking really good care of Ralph Moore’s little jewels. They are florishing here in the Texas Heat. Took lots of pictures; still to be downloaded and tagged. The future looks bright for Moore’s babies.

A big thanks to my Hubby who took a day of vacation and drove me up last night so I could be fresh this morning, then followed me through the field helping me take notes and making sure I didn’t miss anything.

Good to know his roses are in good hands. Thank you! Joan and your husband on behalf of all of us who could not go.

Kim,

I did not find either of the roses you inquired about. It could have something to do with the propietary nature of these roses since they were donated to the Library for the purpose of fundraising.

Hi Joan, thank you for looking! Thanks, too, to your husband for being such a thoughtful, willing “enabler”. I doubt if they would have been considered “proprietary” and not planted out for evaluation. Ralph gave away many things prior to his introducing them, or not. It appears they are extinct, which is a great pity. Kim

Hi Joan, thank you for looking! Thanks, too, to your husband for being such a thoughtful, willing “enabler”. I doubt if they would have been considered “proprietary” and not planted out for evaluation. Ralph gave away many things prior to his introducing them, or not. It appears they are extinct, which is a great pity. Kim

Kim – I think you are just going to have to go their yourself and take a look. (and I volunteer to drive).

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, but no. I’ve “done” Texas. No offense. Kim