Parfum de l Hay

OK, so I DO have to get ahold of la Parfum after all!

I’ve thought about RHA members having a contest to see who could breed the most horridly unattractive and disease-prone rose.

Uh, I think I already have, Joe. Twenty plus years ago, Tom Liggett, who was one of the original movers and shakers for the Heritage Rose Garden in San Jose, Ca, called me for my ugliest red seedling ever. I had the PERFECT one for him. Old, bruised liver red semi single with every disease known to man. Even the petals mildewed, perpetually covered in gray fuzz. I sent it to him. I don’t know if he ever actually did it, but his claim was he wanted to plant it in the garden and label it, “Hanoi Jane”. He was a Viet Nam vet. Kim

Joe,

A few comments to your response to mine.

‘Maiden’s Blush’ is not cold hardy to Zone 3 (Canadian). Perhaps Zone 4. However, if ‘Maiden’s Blush’ is pistillate fertile and if it was crossed with ‘Suzanne’, for example, the progeny could be cold hardy to Zone 3. The fragrance likely would be outstanding. Both cultivars are very fragrant.

In my opinion, one of the most fragrant Rugosas is my ‘Pacific Pearls’ (‘Hansa’ x ‘Charles Albanel’). ‘Belle Poitevine’ doesn’t even come close to it.

“I love the fruity tangerine scent of ‘Morden Sunrise’, but it passes on horrid blackspot susceptibility.” Not necessarily. It depends what it is crossed with. Terry Roszko’s ‘Morden Sunrise’ x ‘John Davis’ yellow selection has no disease problems. At least in the Edmonton, Alberta region. The double flowers with very good form, by the way, have good fragrance. Note that ‘John Davis’ is a Rosa kordesii rose. The Explorer Rosa kordesii cultivars generally have more disease resistance than the Parkland or Buck cultivars. Again, when grown on the Canadian Prairies.

The unique, good fragrance of ‘Morden Sunrise’ no doubt is at least partially the result of Rosa altaica in the pedigree.

‘Roseraie de L’Hay’ has one of the best fragrances out of any rose. LOTS of clove, and in my opinion it is far more fertile than people give it credit for. Mine always sets a good handful of OP hips in my garden, perhaps not as many as ‘Magnifica’ would. They germinate rather quickly too. I have one itty bitty tiny seedling from last year that I hope builds some size this year/doesn’t get eaten. Something nibbled it last summer after I planted it out. Strongest seedling from 2011 for sure though.