Origins of Yellow John Davies

Anybody heard of this rose ? Not in helpmefind - ?sport? Somebody "patenting it ???

Shot of it today in my garden - planted beside “Pink” John Davies. Sure looks similar.
IMG_0875.JPG

1 Like

Riku, I think you are talking about John Davis (not Davies). Why don’t you post some pictures of the underside of the bloom, of the peduncle, prickles, and leaves, and any other identifying characteristics you think of, such as number of leaflets, color and texture of leaflet, etc.

Peter

Thanks Peter … senior’s moment … here are some quick shots,
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG

a few more
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG

Riku,

Looking at the 'John Davis" and ‘Yellow John Davis’ pictures, I can’t see a lot, but it seems to me that the receptacle (the part below the sepals, where the ovary is and which becomes the hip) of ‘John Davis’ is cinched in a little (is narrower than what comes just below it) while the receptacle of ‘Yellow John Davis’ is not narrower in the same place. Please check these side by side to see whether this is true.

Where did you buy ‘Yellow John Davis’?

Is YJD fragrant?

Is there any chance that YJD is ‘J.P. Connell’?

Peter

Hi Peter I will do a check. Got it from the island nursery and the owner knows his roses in my opinion - though a yellow john davis release would be somewhat of an earth shaker in Canada.

Hi Peter,

I think you nailed it. how to tell they are different. Below is the YJD and what I believe is one of my JD blooms … different to my eyes. Your other questions, in a two or three day old YJD loom I detect a slight fragrance . On the pink JD absolutely nothing. If this is some cross with JD or another rose completely different, it really holds it’s yellow well. My experience with my JPC is it quickly goes cream - white. I will keep an eye on YJD over the summer to see if the traits with the blooms change. It is a small young rose (1 gallon). I will be taking some cuttings as insurance against winter kill because the bloom form and persistent yellow have redeeming merit. Thanks for your help.
IMG_0927[1].JPG
IMG_0925[1].JPG

Riku

‘Yellow John Davis’ is a hybrid developed by Terry Roszko of Spruce Grove, Alberta. It has been spread around more than Terry intended after he submitted it for testing.

Hi Margit, Terry better patent it fast as it looks like a winner to my eyes if he is into patenting … … or at least make sure his name sticks to it … especially if it is hardy … real quick would be the operative words as an earthq moving could happen fast with it if it is hardy. Nice rose terry … job well done. I won’t share cuttings unless okay with it.

Is this Yellow John Davis?
“Terry Roszko’s ‘Morden Sunrise’ x ‘John Davis’ yellow selection has no disease problems. At least in the Edmonton, Alberta region. The double flowers with very good form, by the way, have good fragrance. Note that ‘John Davis’ is a Rosa kordesii rose.” From:
http://rosebreeders.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37913&p=38125

Terry posted some pictures of his rose in a thread on GardenWeb: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1887903/a-very-good-yellow-rose

Peter

Maybe time to put it into HelpMeFind with Terry’s name as breeder … important origins data and descriptions of the original tend to be forgotten or history re-written by “informed sources” opinion.

I don’t know Terry but I’ve corresponded with him a couple of times. He seems to be very modest about his roses and pretty low-key about promoting them. He has some beautiful hybrids. I agree that an HMF entry would be helpful for him and the rest of the community.

Yes, this rose did come as quite a surprise to me, I wasn’t expecting such a nice yellow from the union of ‘Morden Sunrise’ x ‘John Davis’. The stiff upright shrub is clothed in large attractive foliage that has held up well to black spot and mildew, though bacterial spot has been troublesome at my location in recent years. Cane hardy to about -32 C, though producing a decent quantity of bloom upon new wood when requiring further trimming back in very cold climates. As a pollen parent, it has passed on some good qualities, though I have not extensively worked with it, as many of the offspring also inherit the trait of very long lasting blooms that do not drop cleanly, but I’ve often been told that I’m a bit too fussy … though, some very promising selections of mine have performed fantastically for several years, only for time to later show a weakness. Indeed, it was my wish to have the yellow rose tested under secure conditions and was reassured such would occur, though soon it did begin making the rounds, but that’s okay anyways and now any further promising selections are tested in the private gardens of individuals. As for a name to attach to the rose, someone had suggested simply calling it ‘Terry’s Yellow’ and such has stuck with me. I never did enquire as to any “test” results, so it’s nice to hear of the rose receiving a bit of recognition.

Regards,

Terry Roszko (Spruce Grove, Alberta)

Terry, please do be sure to share information on your hybrids on HelpMeFind. I should imagine it provides a more permanent record than Garden Web Forum will, and the record will be searchable under your name and other criteria. Forums are not good repositories for long-term storage of information.

From your Garden Web posts, it looks like you have a number of lovely crosses, and if ever you want someone to trial them deep in the heart of TX… :wink:

I kinda like the “Terry’s Prairie…” series of roses. :wink:

I would expect that the name “Yellow John Davis” would be a plus concerning potential sales.

Philip, thanks for the advice, I really should get around to uploading information on HMF. Last evening, several friends had dropped by and I tossed out several names including ‘Terry’s Prairie Gold’ (has a nice ring to it) and all were in agreement with that. Yes, a permanent identity must be placed upon the rose, rather than the long wavering and confusion that has existed after personally losing control of the selection. Henry, the rose is so very different from ‘John Davis’ and such a similar name would likely confuse many to think of it as a climber, but I much appreciate your comments on the matter.

Well, Henry probably does make a good point from a marketing standpoint, and no doubt that is the reason behind the name given by the individual/group that has been… ah… distributing your rose…
It leads to some questions I probably should consider posting on another post about breeder’s rights, and how to go about testing…
What legitimate route would one take if they were to want to try out your rose, Terry? Reading about it, I imagine there are a lot of folks who might be intrigued by it.
Thanks.

What legitimate route would one take if they were to want to try out your rose

Here here . Yellow blooms on any species hardy to -32 C are noteworthy, let alone on a rose.

Six days and blooms still have an excellent steadfast yellow coloring, indeed a great original work wrapped up in modesty and controversy … this must mean even if only a rose, it is destine for legendry status like a Emily Carr, Norval Morrisseau’s or Benjamin Chee Chee original Canadian master work of art.