Origins of Yellow John Davies

I know, I really should have stepped up long ago attempting to get matters straightened out and on track with this rose … but, life just seemed to get in the way, as also did my hesitation and modesty despite the number of prompts I received. I certainly would have no problem with the name ‘Yellow John Davis’ if the rose embodied similar traits, though it’s so very different in all aspects.

So, okay, I did send off some emails and a well known Canadian nursery has requested the rose for trial, what comes of such time will tell, but I appreciate the motivation to move forward.

Terry- that’s great news. Good luck and please keep us posted.

1 Like

Have them bud some up on speculation and send us the particulars for ordering.

Please do, and congratulations!
You can use alternative names on HMF i.e. both “Yellow John Davis” and “Terry’s Prairie Gold” and market it under whichever is deemed the more appropriate. That at least gets you the recognition as the breeder of the rose that’s out there.
Best of luck!

Any updates on this cultivar? I just did search on HMF, and find nothing…

Saw a recent post mentioning John Davies, and (as a southerner not familiar with the hardier Canadian cultivars) wondered what (if anything) ever came of, what I will call, “Terry’s Prairie Gold” for lack of a better name. Don’t see much on HMF under Terry Roszko’s name.

I am troubled to think that credit is not given with regards to a rose that may or may not still be in distribution.

[I just noticed I had done a follow up a little over a year ago… Didn’t realize the extent to which this post stuck in my mind.]

Last I heard, “Terry’s Yellow” is being trialed somewhere in Canada thus there won’t be a listing on HMF until the trial ends. Perhaps Terry will post and let us know how things are progressing.

Hi Terry, Great looking yellow rose. The Vineland Research and Innovation Centre is texting and representing roses. That might be another option for you, although I am not sure how well they can test for cold hardiness. And I am beginning to suspect that their disease pressure is a bit different than my yard.

Liz

Okay, yes, due the several requests to officially name and release this rose, it is now in the hands of a major nursery for their trial and “possible” small scale release, in which I respect their decision as they call it. For very cold zones, I’d say that this rose is more of a color breakthrough novelty, rather than a must have bloom machine. It is crown hardy in zone 3 and requires a bit more time to regrow and come into flower when being hard pruned. Bloom quality varies, though when well fed, can be very attractive and individual flowers are long lasting, though require deadheading. I have sometimes taken the effort to carefully lay the rather stout canes to the ground and cover them over with snow and this is when I have been rewarded with some of the nicest flowers and longest bloom season … in other words, in a milder climate, it would perform as a hardy shrub and encouraging overall best results in comparison to being hard pruned. Blackspot and mildew resistance has been observed as good in my region, though I can’t at all attest to other places. Cercospora resistance is poor, as been granted to it by its father ‘John Davis’. I have done a bit of breeding and overall disease resistance (including cercospora) has generally been decent average in resulting seedlings.

‘Terry’s Yellow’ … or that’s what I think I had tentatively named it, lol.
IMG_2536.jpg
IMG_3800.JPG

I still kinda like the idea of the “Terry’s Prairie…” series. :wink:

Glad to hear that it is being trialed, and that you will get the credit for your work, Terry. It’s an attractive bloom, and while I’m a southerner, it seems like a good addition to the palette of hardy roses. I am sure there are some here who like to work with it and see what it has to offer to future progeny.

As an aside, the bloom reminds me of one of Joan Monteith’s seedlings, a cross b/w Mr. Nash and Rugelda, that I grew here. It was a trooper to survive in Central Texas, in view of it’s hardier heritage. Alas, I was told I had to leave the plant when I sold that house, and I never was able to propagate it. Joan said at the time she didn’t know what she was thinking to make that cross, but that is a cross I would like to see repeated as there was a ridiculous number of quick germinations from the cross, and most had very double blooms with nice warm yellows and apricots. Wicked thorny, and some were quite rampant, however.

Philip, it’s been something like twenty years since I had developed the rose, time flies! I was surprised to obtain such a yellow from the pairing of ‘Morden Blush’ x ‘John Davis’ and again had been pleased with disease resistance until the arrival of cercospora … though, through ‘Morden Blush’, I hadn’t exactly been expecting a strong health record to begin with. With that said, a sister seedling has pretty much always remained clean, so one never knows where disease resistance shall fall. In regards to the further development of hardy repeat yellows, simply by viewing this forum, it’s evident of the many who are diligently working and progressing towards their goal, I believe the next twenty years will be very interesting.

As for Joan Monteith’s seedling, I hope you’ll soon be replicating the cross. I had grown ‘Rugelda’ in the past, though it was lost when we experienced a snowless very cold winter. I just looked up Mr. Nash on HMF, it sure is a fine looking yellow with excellent foliage and evidently can make for a good parent.

Terry

Terry, see 'Rugelda X R15' Rose

That’s a nice beast too, Henry. Has R15-01 ever given you repeat bloomers?

Philip_la, sorry for the delay in answering. I had to find my garden notebook. Yes, of those that survived Illusion X (Rugelda X R-15), and also Folksinger X (Rugelda X R-15).

Henry, your ‘Yellow Alzbeta Kuska’ is gorgeous in color and form and set off beautifully by those dramatic red stamens and attractive foliage to boot! Job well done, thanks for sharing the link!

I’m sad to see that a search for Terry’s Yellow or Yellow John Davis on HMF comes up “No Results”. Does that mean all is now lost forever?!?

I am pretty sure some folks in Northern Alta know the status and may comment. I wont as not in the loop.

My example passed away but that not unusual in my Calgary garden. You should not have a problem in your climate with cold since thats where mine came from.

1 Like

“Terry’s Yellow” is still grown by a.few collectors and a couple botanic gardens in Alberta, Canada

1 Like