New Buck Roses 2010/2011

“New” meaning they were privately held by the family and released to the public now.

I am going to post the link to Northland Rosarium. I am not endorsing them. I am sure they are very nice people though. I am using the link because it contains most of them with photos, which makes viewing easy for us.

Sunner Honey may interest some of ya’ll up north as a source of yellows into hardier roses. I like Mary Susan except for the personalized name. Who knows what any of these roses are like but I am sure a few of them have potential, especially as bridges of color into hardiness.

Link: northlandrosarium.com/index-2.cfm?cID=7

We can also buy them through Chamblees.

Well, now we have the west and the south covered. btw, I meant Summer Honey. typo

Thanks for providing the link Jadae. Wish parentage had been recorded for many of the newest varieties.

Maybe it is known and not released? I am sure that each has a hint of its lineage when grown but that isnt completely useful.

I ordered 4 Buck roses against my better judgement. I ordered April Moon, Mary Susan, Quietness, and Aunt Honey. I felt April Moon would do better for me than Folksinger would. I need to get a new Jude the Obscure because I think it’d be a great match for these guys. It’d also be good if I could get pollen off of the reluctant Jubilee Celebration. I managed to retain the foliage of Pretty Lady through a Sevilianna x Pretty Lady hybrid, but I have no clue where to go from there with it since its not hip-friendly just like Pretty Lady. So many possibilities, so little time v_V I’ll probably just stick it on Summer Wind, lol. Everything sticks to that rose.

It’s really too bad some of these gorgeous gazillion-petalled Austins don’t have much in terms of anthers…sounds like JC is one of those, is that correct?

Good luck!

Jude the Obscure avoids this because of the cupped form, but it also likes to produce singles and semi-doubles like its parent, Windrush. Jubilee Celebration is odd. Its quite double, and likely the most beautiful English type bloom Ive ever seen, but I think the problem is that it converts its male parts to petal structures. I stripped it down to using it as a seed parent last year, but everything aborted. Weather may have been the issue though. It was randomly hot that day. Both English roses are amazingly healthy here. They seem to have avoided the nasty blackspot from Abraham Darby. I’d also like to try Crown Princess Margareta with the Buck roses.

My other goal with Buck roses it to try to create a cutting rose on a Buck-type plant. I’d like to retain the petal and bloom qualities of a florist type onto a Buck type. I seriously see no reason why a cut-rose needs 2 to 3’ stems, lol. I am trying out some cuttings of ‘Blush’, my favorite florist rose. I am hoping that it doesnt degrade in real UV light like many florist roses do. I cannot really test below zone 5 without using a lot of resources, time, and energy, so cold-hardiness isnt my specific goal with Buck types. I just want to see if its possible to create a cut-rose where someone can use it for their kitchen and not have to worry about water damage, vigor, pests, and disease. I’m linking a pic of Blush. It ranges from bright white blended scarlet to cream blended coral pink.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.60423&tab=36

Michael,

For what it’s worth I had no success with Crown Princess Margareta either direction.

Rob

Meh, jokes on me. Both Mary Susan and Cinnamon Spice are Carefree Beauty x Piccadilly. Summer Honey and Dawn Star seem to have better lineage.

Piccadilly is pure evil in the PNW. It has the classic short, mass-branching UK HT architecture (kind of like Kardinal 85, Silver Jubilee, Kanegem) that is loaded with the type of blackspot that defoliates the plant by July. So, not only is it BS prone, but the architecture kills any air circulation possible, lol. I guess time will tell if Carefree Beauty masks this awful trait, but who wants to deal with that in breeding roses? :frowning:

I am curious if anyone has had any luck with Quietness as a parent despite its triploidy? I bought it recently for my girlfriend because she loved it so much. Is it an Austin hybrid? I am not into that color range that much but whatever, lol.

It is too bad Crown Princess Margareta is not being helpful. If I recall, the tone was pretty sun hardy too. I’d try Jude the Obscure, possibly, but it loves to give me singles. However, it gives myrhh and retains health. Maybe thats a decent trade-off with Buck combinations?

Hi Michael, I crossed Jude the Obscure with one of my own and got (True Colours) very healthy, prolific repeat, pink with yellow reverse to the petals and a big yellow eye in the centre. Grows to around 3ft.

HMF is down right now so I’ll look later, but whats funny is that it was not until I was about 20 that I spelled color the proper American way because I had read so many books from the UK as a kid, lol.

It has always fascinated me why they dropped the U in colour

Oh, I see. Its realy pretty. Ive always liked pink as a bicolor or blend much better than as a self.

American English borrows strongly from Germanic so it is sometimes condensed in order to be more “efficient”. That is, at least, one generalized pattern of American English. Its funny though because its one of the most bastardized languages ever once ya get down to the subcultural layers of it.

I should try Yellow Brick Road w/ Jude the Obscure. How often did you get the myrrh fragrance? I could only get it with JtO x Purple Heart.

which Purple Heart, the Morre’s or Carruthers ?

I have been lucky with these crosses which all have intense myrrh fragrance.

Arahan X Mary rose (30% of offspring)

Queen Elizabeth X Elara (30% of offspring)

Just Joey X Belle Story (90% of Offspring)

It is a fragrance which I really love cannot get enough of it.

cheers Warren

Carruth’s version.

I forgot to mention. A local college grows both Windrush and Wild Flower. They both have heav Golden Wings influence, and they have nearly identicaly hips and canes. My fear with using them with, for example, Buck types, is the fading. Theyre really rugged though. I find the road between great health/hardiness/vigor and excellent color/fragrance to be a pretty disparate stretch.

Hi Jadae,

Quietness is a Buck rose. It was named by Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited with the OK of his family. The morning after 9/11 she was up early walking in her garden and all was still and there was this bloom on her plant. Because of the present stillness and the anguish the world was going through in those recent hours, she thought of that one moment of peace and stillness she felt and that is how it got its name.

She introduced it. At one point, she was the sole introducer of Buck’s later roses but I see now that others are also introducing them. Apparently he had given seedlings to friends and had also left ungerminated seeds to be planted when he died.

After he died or retired, the University where he worked ripped out all of his roses that he was working with. NOW that his roses have become very popular thanks to websites like this and garden web and the small independent nurseries have brought them to the public, the university has a garden of them commemorating him.

Sad, I always looked up to higher eduction so much and when I see some of the dumb things that have been done at these places I wonder.

Jim

PS-Unless there is another Quietness lurking about, :wink:

Jim, way back when, I wrote an article seeking the stippled Buck roses. No one carried his creations and very few of them were available anywhere. Peter Schneider printed it in the American Rose Rambler. It’s a wonderful newsletter, BTW. The article encouraged one response, from Mrs. Ruby Buck. She was lovely! She put me in touch with Kathy Zuzek who should be well known here. Kathy and I traded many things and she sent me photocopies of his registration sheets as well as an own root plant of all of his roses she had, I didn’t.

Being the “nudge” I am, I began “encouraging” everyone I knew to grow them. I pestered Clair Martin, Curator of Roses at The Huntington, to put in a bed of them so the collection would have a home and, hopefully, be safe. He did it for the found roses and the entire set of David Austin’s. He wasn’t impressed as he said the few of the cold hardy roses were good for SoCal. In a few cases, he was right, but more of Dr. Buck’s were good here than the earlier Austins, and the English roses afforded him the opportunity to make his name. I offered them to Desi Maiz, who was Marketing Director at Rose Hills and in charge of their rose garden. No interest. I didn’t have any connections with any other public garden, so I grew them, shared them with everyone who would try the ones which did well for me and began offering them to Sequoia, Pixie Treasures and Vintage.

Once the grass roots movement began getting them into more and more lists, Iowa State obviously purchased a Combined Rose List because any source who offered a Buck rose received a letter from them stating the Buck roses were “proprietary material” belonging to Iowa State. It demanded royalties for them and went on to say by not paying royalties, money was being taken out of his widow’s and childrens’ mouths.

That letter had a chilling effect on the distribution of his roses. Ralph Moore read it and didn’t want either the paperwork required nor potential litigation, so he told Carolyn to dump all Buck roses. Ralph well knew the pleasures of royalties because he worked deals whenever possible to collect them. I seriously doubt if he ever paid any. It was simply against his religion.

She didn’t dump them, but did pull them from sale until she saw how most others were ignoring the letter with no consequences. She eventually put them back on her list and was for some time, the only source here for many of them.

Talk about mercenaries. They did nothing to support his efforts while he lived other than to pay him and let him use their facilities. His roses got to the market because of his friendship with Patricia Wiley at ROYAT, which is why the vast majority were introduced infected with virus. After he died, they dumped his roses and Kathy “inherited” his library and papers. I understand Iowa State didn’t have many plants to supply her. David can probably fill in these blanks. But, once it appeared someone else was raising the popularity of their “proprietary material” they did their best to glom on to any monies they could, without paying anything more than the cost of a letter and postage. Witnessing this and the goings on with Ralph’s collection, I’m deeply soured on the part of institutions to preserve them.