Need help identifying this rose

Hello everyone. Would someone please tell me what type of rose I have. I am completely new to roses and this is my first rose plant that I picked up from the local plant shop. They did not have any labels and when I look at the website online, the only information offered was that it was a ‘Rosa Hybrida’. Each stem has two roses at the top and it is currently about 3 feet tall. Each bloom is about 2in and has 5 leaflets. It has no thorns, and the scent is very strong and sweet.

Update, I went to the shop where I bought the rose from and they didn’t know much about it other than that it was from Egypt (I am in Kuwait). Anyone’s advice will be appreciated!

I have limited knowledge of “warm to hot climate” roses as icicles grow off my roof in winter. So l can not help id, though a very long time ago l use to grow, with winter protection, a number chinas, hybrid chinas and a couple of teas. This avenue was my first inclination as a wild guess. Can’t tell if modern or antique rose.

However the term hybrida l believe just means its a result of crossings of different roses. So your back at the very start of trying to id an unknown rose or its parents.

Best hope is somebody will recognize it or the growth characteristics to give a type of rose.

Might think of including a whole plant photo for growth character, leaflet photo, cane photo and thorns on canes - if any. And when you have it longer you’ll know if it repeat blooms cs only blooming once a season.

There are some people here who are very familiar with warm climate roses.

You can also try HelpMeFind plant site under rose clematis option. Its free and used by lots if breeders.

Thanks! I don’t think the person I spoke to at the store knew much about this rose. I went on the website to the nursery and apparently it is an American ‘Jorry’ Rose. I Googled it but I do not see any information on that rose or even photos. Because it doesn’t get too cold in the winter here (minimum in the 40s), I have a couple new buds on the rose so I guess it is a repeat bloomer. It doesn’t have many thorns; just a few on the main branches. It usually has 5 leaflets and 3 right before a bloom. Thanks for the website!

Ur welcome and Good luck.

Just one note - sometimes known roses are sold in North America under another name thats not common - out of the air.

Stating the obvious, based on ur climate, urs sure reads like a warm weather rose.

If l was living there to make a living - based on expat workers stories to me, (my home has a robust oil industry) l would be looking at testing teas, chinas etc… though some unlikely to be tamed in pots.

Should try more photos of plant - bloom, etc and maybe an expert might surface.

Another idea, you might want to try the “Antique Rose forum” … sponsored by some US commercial entity called Houzz (home renovation slant). Use to enjoy Spike’s original site. Can be frustrating to navigate the commercial detritus, arguements and warn social commentary.

Lots of warm weather growers who know their ID stuff …teas,china hybrids, austins, hybrid musks, bourbons, newer stuff etc. etc.

1 Like

Thanks! I will try houzz.

If problems, Try the link below. Also use to be a modern roses forum. Not tried in a decade.

1 Like

Thanks so much! So a “jorry” rose (pronounced joory) is actually just an arabic word for a damask rose.
Quick question: these roses need pruning in winter…but after they bloom as they bloom on old wood. My rose has one bud…should I prune before it blooms in the spring or wait until after spring? If I prune it now, will it grow enough so that it blooms in the spring? Because it blooms on old wood, do I prune it once every two years?

No real experience with Damask as too tender for here.

But since nobody else has chimed in yet that has warm zone rose experience, l would not prune bud. If this is the start of a second bloom cycle in less than a calendar seasonal year for your new rose its worth leaving to see what transpires with rest of the bush.

Maybe you have a hybrid repeating cross, or the damask that blooms twice a year. Unless your pruning is required, l would not treat it like pruning a hybrid tea rose in winter for awhile until a year is up. Even then l doubt experts would tell you to radically prune a damask like a Ht.

1 Like

Yeah, I was a little hesitant to prune it. It’s so pretty when in bloom! Thank you so much!

It’s definitely not a Damask (it’s clearly heavily influenced by China rose)–and if it was flowering in October, it’s probably a reblooming variety. However, as a young plant of uncertain cultivar, I would wait to prune very much, and instead allow the plant build up some strength and then learn how best to prune it through observation of its natural tendencies. Pruning is done to achieve a specific desired effect, but is not required for the rose’s health, except in cases of diseased, dying, or poorly positioned stems. Very light trimming after flushes of bloom might be a good idea to help stimulate new growth.

To me, it seems possible that it is a very early hybrid perpetual, or maybe some kind of Bourbon. It could be something like ‘Gloire de Guérin’; there is a certain resemblance to ‘Malton’, its once-flowering parent.

Stefan

1 Like

Thanks @MidAtlas! When you say prune it lightly, should I just deadhead and remove diseased/damaged branches? To get it to rebloom quickly can I cut back behind any three-cluster leaves regardless of whether they have blooms or not?

I think that deadheading and cutting out any diseased or damaged branches will be the most important pruning you can do right now; beyond deadheading, providing extra water and fertilizer as needed will do more to stimulate faster rebloom than pruning. However, pruning back the tops of occasional “blind shoots” that produce leaves but no flowers can also help. The common pruning recommendations for hybrid teas may not be appropriate for other rose classes (in fact, they don’t even apply to all hybrid teas, particularly in the case of older cultivars). A good rule of thumb for starting out is that the more thin-stemmed and twiggy the rose, the lighter you should probably prune it. Once the rose has built up some size and strength, with larger-diameter canes, you can start experimenting by cutting some stems back harder to see if that further stimulates production of more vigorous flowering stems. Some roses benefit from light pruning throughout their lives (except in removing diseased or dying stems), while others ultimately look and perform better with harder pruning. Most will benefit from light pruning when young.

1 Like

Great advice! Thank you. Anything else that you would recommend? Also, is there a way to tell the relative age of a rose bush?

I’d mostly let the rose tell you what it needs–and if you see things going on that you’re not sure about, you can always find folks online to ask! Determining a rose’s age is tricky, but stems up to several years old tend to have a relatively smooth, green (or slightly reddish) bark while stems several years old and older tend to develop rougher, greyish bark.

1 Like

I see. Thanks so much for your help! BTW, if you happen to have a photo of the ‘Gloire de Guérin’ do you mind sharing it for reference? I can’t find a photo anywhere online.

Ah, well, that’s because it doesn’t seem to be known in cultivation anymore; many older roses are either extinct, or are still being grown but without known identities. I was making an educated guess based on the appearance of your plant and the description and background of ‘Gloire de Guérin’; I do grow ‘Malton’, and you can find photos of that online (including HelpMeFind). Your rose has a somewhat unique appearance that suggests a certain kind of background, and while a precise identification may be difficult or impossible, more photos showing multiple features could be helpful.

I see…it is kind of sad that some rose varieties are extinct now. I do have a few photos of the full bush and the leaves. A few more tidbits of info are: the buds have pretty long sepals (that sometimes look a little leaf-like). When leaves are new, they are reddish-purple. The scent is pretty strong and sweet. The flower heads droop a little, and the backs of the petals are lighter than the inside. It is virtually thornless (it does have two thorns on the main stem). When the rose is fully open, you can see the stigma and anthers easily.

Thank you for the additional photos! There is still an almost uncanny resemblance to ‘Malton’, and while I did not necessarily intend for ‘Gloire de Guérin’ to be a direct identification (there is no way to compare the plant directly with anything growing under that name today), it feels to me like a very strong contender. It would probably take DNA being compared with ‘Malton’ to have anything resembling real proof. I’ve raised seedlings from ‘Malton’ with leaves that look extremely similar to your plant’s (the foliage color is the same in ‘Malton’–somewhat plum-colored when young and greyish at maturity), and the flower color (including the lighter/silvery backs) and fragrance all align well with the possibility that it could be its offspring ‘Gloire de Guérin’.

Stefan

1 Like

Thanks so much! Should I treat it like its Malton parent in terms of care and whatnot?