Need help identifying this rose

Well, ‘Malton’ is a once-flowering rose with a different growth habit (stemming from its different flowering pattern), so the pruning regimen and certain other aspects of care would differ somewhat from any repeat bloomer no matter how closely related. I would focus on providing regular water (and fertilizer as needed), and very light pruning, as the main care. Promoting a steady supply of healthy new growth is the main thing for a repeat-flowering rose, and adequate water and fertilizer are the most important factors in that. Your rose looks healthy, so it doesn’t look like you need to do anything too different in terms of care; a larger pot will probably be helpful if it will remain in a container. The plant should fill out as time goes by.

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you so much for everything!

One note I would like to add is that the blooms do not last very long at all (5 days max protected from wind and one day unsheltered). Is this because it is young or is that just how this rose is? Do you recommend I provide a regular balanced fertilizer or a high phosphorus one if I want more blooms? I have been giving a balanced one, but since I want more blooms, can I give a higher phosphorus type?

That could be the extent of the flower’s longevity–five days isn’t actually all that bad, as some roses will shatter after only one. I haven’t noticed much of an increase in flower production from providing roses with extra phosphorus, and nitrogen is actually involved more in stimulating flower production anyway, so a balanced fertilizer (or just a small increase in phosphorus) is probably the best way to go. In addition to being a bit oversold as a flower stimulant, phosphorus tends not to be as mobile as nitrogen or potassium, and it generally isn’t something that you need to supply in overwhelming abundance. It may be that increasing the soil volume with a larger container will help more than anything by improving the evenness of soil moisture and nutrient availability, which will potentially make for a happier plant that will grow more and stay hydrated better, and by extension, give more blooms (and they might even last a bit longer, if it hasn’t already reached its genetic limits!).

1 Like

Gruss an Teplitz maybe?

1 Like

I grow ‘Gruss an Teplitz’, and don’t think this is close to it. The foliage is very different.

1 Like

This is undoubtedly some sort of China/Bourbon of the ‘Gloire des Rosomanes’ sort. I doubt that its ‘Gruss an Teplitz’, but its akin to it. It may be a seedling someone grew (or found) and has been shared around.

1 Like

Thanks everybody! @paulbarden, yes, that does seem likely since it seems hard to identify it. Although, judging by the description of ‘Gloire de Guerin’ that Stefan suggested, it seems pretty close although almost impossible to identify by bloom since there are no photos of the flower. @Don, I agree, the blooms look somewhat similar to Gruss an Teplitz, but the foliage does seem slightly different.

BTW, I don’t know if this will help with identification, but the buds for this rose are not very round…more like an oval with really long leaf-like sepals. Also, I don’t think it sets hips…After blooming, around a few weeks later, the stem for the bud just kinda shrivels up a bit…maybe I am doing something wrong though.

I have considered that it might be Gloire des Rosomanes, but the blooms do not open as much…Gloire des Rosomanes seems to open fully and almost flatten out when fully open, but mine opens enough to clearly see the sepals, but not enough so that it flattens.