Moore's new roses...Fertile?

I just saw photos of Ralph Moore’s new hybrids for 2005. I am particularly interested in the fertility of his Keith’s Delight hyrid rugosa, his new Moore’s Striped Rugosa, and his new hulthemia hybrid. The first and last mentioned here state that they produce hips. Does anyone know if they produce fertile seeds?

In all my years breeding roses I did get one Hansa x Ferdinand Pichard seedling with stripes but it has very mis-shapen blooms and has been totally sterile for me both ways.

I also would be interested to learn if Ralph has released information on the parents of any of the above mentioned new roses.

Thankyou, Randy

Oh my God… Persian Autumn is stunning…

‘Keith’s Delight’ is “1-72-1” (‘Little Darling’ X ‘Yellow Magic’) X ‘Rugelda’

‘Moore’s Striped Rugosa’ is “9 stripe”* x ‘Rugosa Magnifica’

‘Persian Autumn’ invloves ‘Tigris’, but its exact parentage is not known.

I have no idea if ‘Moore’s Striped Rugosa’ is fertile or not, but it is certainly worth attempting. I suspect it will work as a pollen parent best.

*“9 stripe” is ‘Golden Angel’ X {‘Dortmund’ X [‘Fairy Moss’ X (‘Little Darling’ X ‘Ferdinand Pichard’)]}

Paul

PS to Randy: You would likely have better results if you use ‘Pinstripe’ or ‘Stars ‘n’ Stripes’ on ‘Hansa’. You will avoid many infertility problems if you skip ‘Ferdinand Pichard’ and use some of its offspring which have been proven as breeders.

Paul

Is “My Stars” in anyway decended by Basye’s Legacy? Kim’s “Lynnie” looks very much like this… Even my own seedling.

‘My Stars’ is a ‘Basye’s Legacy’ seedling, yes.

Well,

I now know that Legacy will at least give better colors… I was starting to think that it could only pass species/rugosa types of pinkish red. My seedling is sadly almost the same shade of rugosa mauve.

I just got germinations of Pacific Serenade, a strong yellow. Hopefully, this will at least dent some of the mauve.

Thanks Paul…

Enrique,

Try using ‘Golden Gardens’ with ‘Basye’s Legacy’, as it is know to produce a percentage of thornless offspring.

Paul

Perhaps I will… in the future. Right now I’ve got quite a few germinations with Pacific Serenade and some from Fair Dinkum. I also have Thornless Angel from Davidson too to work with this year. And my Renae seedling with Sutter’s Gold seems to be often thornfree with the exception of some at the base. It’s smoother then Heritage at least…

It seems that Basye’s Legacy just needs the right hip parent for thornlessness. I didn’t get no thornfree seedlings from Queen Elizabeth, but I’m going to back cross it as it has very good health and makes hips really easily.

Is My Stars’ hip parent Golden Gardens? Or from the Seri Anne lineage?

Off topic now, but I think Ralph Moore should really create “family trees” like David Austin.

On Mr. Moore’s web site it mentions a new Bracteata hybrid, but I can’t find a description of which one is the Bracteata hybrid. sequoianursery.biz Is it Julie Link?

Wow!!! That Persian Autumn looks fantastic!!!

David

Is there any information on the hardiness of Persian Autumn?

Chris Mauchline

Julie Link certainly does look similar some of the other Brachteata hybrids, especially ‘Precious Dream’

‘Julie Link’ is the other Bracteata hybrid, yes. It is a cross of one of the Halo series with ‘Out of Yesteryear’.

Paul, Thanks for the information on Ralph’s new roses. I really value your input.

Also, thanks for the tip about using Moore’s striped miniatures instead of Ferd Pichard. In recent years I have quit using it as most of its seedlings have some flaw or other.

Unfortunately I got rid of Hansa a couple years ago in favor of some other rugosas. I think maybe that was a mistake now, looking at a couple nice seedlings it has produced. One was Hansa x Honor. The other is Hansa x Oz Gold. Both are sterile but are very worthy garden shrubs.

I am particularly smitten with Keith’s Delight. I am not surprised to learn that Rugelda plays a part here. I have thought for some years now that Rugelda has potential.

Persian Autumn is a unique new rose and much more than just a novelty. I see great things within it waiting to pass into new generations.

Mr.Moore is a master rose breeder. His knowledge and intuition have created such wonderful roses. We are lucky he has been so willing to share his wisdom.

Randy

I’ve stopped using Rugelda… plant itself never got big, and seedlings, though beautiful, were always dyeing. I mostly used it on Livin’ Easy-- and the seedling flowers had incredible amounts of pernetia flaming color. Seedlings didn’t really show any rugosa traits-- but I imagine that if they could had outgrown the mildew it would had been beautiful.

I was curious if anyone uses Pink Robusta for yellows since it has a lot of yellows in it?

I was wondering this because it seems really healthy as Heirloom OGR’s. I like the cluster formations on it.

I called Sequoia today to order for myself and a friend (split shipping costs, etc). I told the nice lady I wanted Persian Autumn. She immediately warned me against buying it because of the area I live in (NW Oregon) and that it would black spot. Sigh!!! I have to admire her honesty, though. Although I didnt buy it I will support their company (and have before). I was so set on getting that rose. She highly recommended the striped rugosa for my area, though. I told her I’d have to call back after rethinking my order due to the new info.

Paul, do you know if the rose ‘Persian Autumn’ was the one Mr. Moore code named “T3”? He has another one code name, “T33” that I believe was a cross of ‘Tigris’ X ‘Playboy’.

Jim Sproul

Jim,

Unfortunately there seems to be some confusion at this point over the labeling of the Hulthemia hybrids. I am not sure which seedling ‘Persian Autumn’ was code named. I suspect it was T-3, because I have grown T-33 for three years and it is definitely NOT the same rose.

There is some discussion about producing T-33 for 2006 release, which I think would be a wonderful thing. This seedling is semi-double 25 petals) and opens to a shallow cup. The color of the bud is bright flaming orange and the open bloom is a kind of pumpkin-spice color with the famous mahogany eye. It fades fairly quickly, but the color is always pleasant and honestly, it is an attractive feature to have a variety of multi-colored blooms on the plant at one time.

Here is a photo of T33 taken in September. The dark eye is more pronounced in the Spring.

Paul

I was guessing Playgold or Playboy for Persian Autumn when I first saw the pic due to the color formation on the petals and the fact that breeders seem to use Playboy and its kin with blackspot prone crosses.