Moore's new roses...Fertile?

Thanks for the info Paul, and thanks for the beautiful photos! I hope that he releases “T33” too.

Jim Sproul

The coloration of these roses sure looks fantastic! What a breakthough in breeding! From the description of ‘Persian Autumn’ it kind of sounds like it doesn’t repeat flower continuously- nice spring bloom and then later in the season some repeat. Is this a common trend among Hulthemia hybrids? I received a Hulthemia hybrid a couple years ago that doesn’t have the red petal base and it didn’t repeat bloom too well. For those who have gotten ‘Tiggles’ bred by Chris Warner, what is this rose like in its growth habit and fertility? From what Chris Warner said it sounds like a very low percent of seedlings show the dark petal base. Has this been what others have found as well?

Sincerely,

David

David, my experience with ‘Tiggle’ has not produced many repeat blooming seedlings, but I do have one that seems to carry the cleanliness of ‘Baby Love’, its pollen parent. The red blotch however, is not very dark. This seedling is fully repeat blooming though and sets hips with viable seeds.

Many of the seedling blooms using ‘Tiggle’ as a parent have been disappointing - having deformed petaloids and nothing more to the blooms. I have several from crosses last year (2003) that should bloom for the first time this Spring that I am excited about.

‘Tiggle’ itself does have a good blotch. The plant is sprawling, typical of Hulthemias and though the Spring bloom can be very nice, it does stop completely and then gives a few blooms in the Fall. It’s value is the resistance to disease as compared to other Hulthemias. ‘Tiggle’ does set hips and the seeds germinate fairly well. Pollen is fertile, but not strongly.

I hope to cross my Hulthemia seedlings that have ‘Tiggle’ blood, with some of Mr. Moore’s.

Jim Sproul