Jim Sproul's new Star Roses

If you haven’t already browsed their site, Star (CP) has Jim’s new roses listed now.

Eyeconic Pink Lemonade

http://www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=srplants.plantDetail&plant_id=1848

Eyeconic Lemonade

http://www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=srplants.plantDetail&plant_id=1847

Thrive!

http://www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=srplants.plantDetail&plant_id=1854

Or, follow the link below to the page with all of the new Star Roses. Congratulations, Jim! Kim

Link: www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/srplants.newintros/index.htm

Congrats Jim!

Congratulations Jim. Eye’ll take two each.

well done!

oh yeah, I forgto to add… Jim I was especially curious about ‘Thrive!’ mainly becuse I read there that it is out of the Knockout clan… are you able to give the pedigree of that one?

forgto=forgot, becuse=because

Congrats Jim…great introductions!

Thanks Kim for posting this - I hadn’t seen that these pages were available on-line.

I commented on the 2 Hulthemias on other threads. I think that they will be useful for those interested in working with this group, but use the pink one as the seed parent. Also, both are good pollen parents, but you’ll tend to get larger blotches using the pink one.

Regarding ‘Thrive!’, the parentage is (‘Marmalade Skies’ X ‘Baby Love’) X ‘Home Run’. The seed parent has been an excellent shrub/landscape type breeder for me. While mature plants of ‘Thrive!’ will set hips, younger plants are more reluctant though germination is good. It has been a very good pollen parent for producing good vigor in it’s seedlings.

Jim Sproul

My pleasure Jim! I’m thrilled for your success and pray the rose buying public goes nuts for them! I was rather amazed to read that Lemonade grows to four and a half to five feet by the same! WHERE am I going to put it!? LOL! Kim

Jim, let me add to the congratulations! You are adding some great rose options to the marketplace. Now if only you could get them into the Canadian marketplace…

Liz

Once they generate any interest at all, Hortico will likely steal them. Watch their list. Kim

So true…

Certified does the same, only they rename the roses and give them skewed photos. I have found many, but its Delbard that they are usually ripping off. Crimson Flame, for example, looks nothing like the tag, but its definitely from Delbard.

The non-rose hort companies are selling some weird ones this year. America = Americana, Golden Showers = Golden Mist, Sweet Intoxication = forgot name…, and Show n’ Tell = Picollo Pete. lol…

Jim I would 'nt mind some of your Hulthemia work here in OZ, But Oz has strict rules on the importation of vegetative material, seeds are ok though, ahhhh one day

Hey Jim, isn’t it about time to put your three new roses on your blog with full photos and some “romance” to begin building the “pull” for them? Lyn is adding them to HMF. I sent her links to here where you discuss the parentages so she’d have it from “the horse’s mouth”. Once she creates the pages, you may begin filling them with photos so Star can begin being deluged with requests! Kim

We are very happy for Jim and looking forward to introducing many more of his roses in the future. The only word of caution would be that in order to succeed with the end consumer, they will have to be easy care, no spray types. Right now the Eyeconics are going to work mostly in the dry climates of the West, until Jim solves the black spot issue.

Hi Warren,

I can’t wait for Jim’s to arrive here one day, also!

I was promised hulthemia seed for a $$$ deal a few months back by a big grower outside the USA, but it looks like the dealer is backing out…he is not answering emails all of a sudden…ROFLOL. I am not too worried however, as to be honest I guess it wont be that long before these types hit the marketplace down here, I know for a fact some of the UK ones have already beeen imported, and are currently undergoing quarantine/propagation here, now.

Thank you all for your nice comments of support!

Hey Don, I missed your “Eye’ll” - funny! I wasn’t sure of the “Eyeconic” series name when I first heard it (we had kicked around a lot of ideas), but it has really grown on me. I’m thankful for the creativity that went into naming the series.

Kim, EL typical size is closer to a 3 foot wide X 3 foot tall ball. It will probably be a bit smaller in northern climates.

Jim Sproul

Hi Jim, that’s good to hear! I’m shoe-horning in things as it is to make what I “can’t live without” fit in the nearly level space. I don’t want to put much on the slope where I will never see it because it’s just too difficult to get to it. Five by five is scary! Three feet is more doable. Thanks. Kim

LOL… I spoke/wrote too soon!

In the mailbox today was a whole bunch of hybrid persica seed… as had been promised to me.

It is great when people actually honour their promises, like in this case!

At last!!!

I maxed out on the OCD thing and spent about 2 hours cleaning and polishing them all, before throwing them in the fridge. LOL…talk about excited!!

Of the five batches, all are from UK breeding lines, however one batch was from a Moore experimental breeding line, coded ‘Mor T35’.

Maybe some of you here who knew Ralph might be able to enlighten me what the breeding behind that ‘Mor T35’ might be??