Jim Sproul's new Star Roses

Hi George,

Could it be “T33”? I haven’t heard of “T35”. You may already know that “T33” is ‘Persian Sunset’.

Jim Sproul

Hi Jim,

Thank you for trying to help me out here!

It is all very interesting.

Ummmmm…if I got the story right, my understanding of it is that this one was an unreleased Moore persica “experimental hybrid”, according to my contact. Mention was made that this hybrid is now held at some university in USA, where experimental breeding continues… does that ring a bell??

Texas A&M University is the holder of all unreleased Ralph Moore genetics

I see.

The persica hybrid ‘Mor 35’ apparently bears hips, I have about ten or so seeds out of this hybrid that were sent to me by my contact ouside of the USA.

Will post on outcomes of these germinations in a few months time after the stratification is complete.

‘Mor 35’ is meant to read ‘Mor T35’.

Hey Jim! I discovered something today…with over three hundred other roses to “browse”, the blamed squirrel here focused in on Eyeconic Lemonade and found it IRRESITIBLE! The bugger ate every opening flower on it, all seven of them! Something else to add to its “resume”! LOL! Kim

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the warning! I wonder what that means for people who have deer??!

It will be interesting to have someone analyze the different zones of the petals to determine whether there are differences between the blotch zone and the rest of the petal. I have thought that there may be a difference in pH, but haven’t tried to prove that yet. If there is a difference, the Hulthemias may be a better entry point for blue roses. As it is, one of the more common colors in the blotch is dark purple.

Jim Sproul

I believe you Jim. Ralph had one seedling which wasn’t released, but resembled Persian Sunset quite a bit. When it aged, it was quite blue and purple. I told him several times IF blue ever comes into roses, it would likely be through that rose. It was amazingly blue! Kim

Kim,

Are you sure that it is squirrels? I used to blame them for every bit of rose (big time) nibbling I saw, which sometimes was a lot-especially new buds, the 1/4 to half grown ones. Last year I got a new cat, and she used to like to spend the night on the deck overlooking one of the rose beds, and sometimes she really got agitated. So I started letting her out,(at night, coyotes, bobcats and all)rather than listening to her incessant meowing/begging me to let her out. Also, that rose bed got mowed down in late March/early April with every rose bud on about 15-20 plants about to bloom in two weeks, to a point of about 4-6 inches tall. The next night she brought in a Desert Wood Rat the size of an opossum. Nice! That sucker could have probably cleaned out all those roses by herself. LuLu (the Cat) continued bringing in Wood rats on a regular basis, 1-2 a week, but none so big as that first one. And every night now she goes to the door about a half hour after sundown, and demands to be let out-around 4-5 AM, she comes back to my bedroom door and asks to be let in, eats, and then sleeps til noon. But even though I continue to see squirrels almost daily, none of the roses have been mowed down again. And in all this time, I have never seen a live Wood Rat in the garden, just dead ones on the doorstep.

Squirells LOVED Dortmund, and, yes, I saw it with my own eyes. I think theyre after the sugar.

Hey Michael

Here in Oz , our problem is Lorrikets. In spring when all the big sappy canes are shooting up the damm things come along and chew out the centre looking for the pith inside. I came up with a solution which works well and could work for the squirrels. make up a psuedo chicken hawk and suspend by attaching it , head ,tail and one wing with 40lb fishing line.Attach them from the trees in your garden. When the wind blows it will hover up and down like the real thing, and those lorikeets take off real quick. You can attach a line to both wings but i find one is enough, if you dont it will spin and won’t look natural.

cheers Warren

I think we have just got a thing here with rats. The canyons and the home orchards with unpicked fruit really attract them. Early last year I had about 15 seedlings get mowed down in bud mostly, and the plants were on a table, with PVC legs, approx. 42" off the ground. Apparently the rat(s) climbed a tree and dropped down to the table, gathered buds and new blooms, and absconded. About 2-3 days later I was checking my oil and here was this fat fruit rat up around the air filter on the driver’s side under the hood, with this huge nest made of all my rose buds and more-some were from the in ground roses. I jumped into the car, drove to the nearest park, opened the hood, went for an hours walk, came back and the rat was gone. When I took it in for an oil change, the mechanic said he dug out a lot more rose ‘stuff’.This was just before I got LuLu. I have heard about those lorrikeets-thank goodness I don’t have those or deer-just the vermin. Roses obviously have a very nutritious profile.

I can see the value of greenhouses …that is if one is blessed with the space and $$ to have one…or two of em!!

(not me LOL!).

Time has flown. It is now nearly nine weeks that my persica seed has been in the fridge. As mentioned above, I kept it dry in zip lock baggies, as per Kim’s method. I like how the seed looks, there is absolutely no molding at all in any baggy. They sure look dry!

Temperatures here are warming up fast since a few days ago, spring is in the air, it is time to sow them persica seeds!!

Hi George,

That sounds great! You still might consider moistening the seeds for a couple days before sowing to speed up germination. Just a thought, though not proven.

Jim Sproul

Jim,

Do you think it might be ok then to immerse them in a cup of water for 24 hours before sowing?

George; overnight should do it

Hi George,

I’ve immersed seeds completely and gotten germinations, but if I were to experiment, I would only subject a portion of valuable seeds to something untested.

Best wishes for success in germinating these!

Hi Jim and Hi Warren,

Thanks for your inputs here, and for trying to assist.

Yes, agreed 100% there is too much to risk by experimenting with this type of seed.

It is too rare, it took forever and a day to acquire, and it aint going to be gifted to me twice, I am sure of that…LOL.

OK I’ll just sow them as they are out of the baggy, and I’ll make sure the sowing media is kept very moist, right from the start.

I’ll post results on a new thread, and leave this thread to its original topic - Jim Sproul’s new Star Roses (again, good luck with those, Jim)!

Does anyone know of an online source for ‘Thrive’? Thanks in advance.