Jadae... Flower Carpet Scarlet OP seedlings

Sorry, that should be Paloma Blanca. Bianca is my sister’s name. I think I am suffering from Simonitis, ROFLOL.

Jim

This is me: s dot a dot voorwinde at bigpond dot com … how ridiculous LOL

Oh yeah, I forgot about Paloma. I think I class it differently in my mind, like Hawkeye Belle, which is like a shrubby HT type.

Somewhere, Griffith Buck commented that in his breedings he got an excess of whites. He talked about suppressor genes that diluted the intensity of pink also. I think he discarded many, many whites. Lots of crosses to Carefree Beauty yield things that are essentially white, but on the pink side, rather than the yellow side. If white is what you want it seems an easy color to get. What is hard to do is to get lots of substance, high concentration of the copigments, and a high petal number in a rose with a pleasing form that retains petals more than a couple days. I’ve discarded many hundreds, perhaps thousands of pale, puny, sparse offspring from the C.B. lines, crossed to dozens of mostly yellows.

Larry,

So sorry to hear that CB does not have to offer much as a parent. She is such a healthy rose. Certainly not a blue ribbon winner but when I look at a large opened bloom at just the right stage, I just melt. It represents to me, simplicity in its perfection. If I am not mistaken, it seems someone mentioned she seems to reject Baby Love’s pollen. Pollenized by Sunsprite, she did produce the yellow Prairie Harvest which I love. Someone grows that in Ontario Canada so it is hardy.

Seasons Greetings,

Jim

I don’t mean that CB is a bad parent. I’ve gotten several excellent offspring. It’s just that it tends to throw a high proportion of pales (half-3/4), especially when crossed with yellows. Not unexpected, it doesn’t have a lot of pigment to begin with. With Crimson Glory or General Jaq, and a few other reds, most seedlings are about as intense as CB, very few approach the red parent in color. Again, not surprising.

I was just suggesting that if you want white, you may be able to get an approximation from some good light pinks in the Buck series, especially if pollinated by something light yellow.

New Dawn also gives a lot of whites. I’ve only kept 1, since I’m going for yellows, which is a tough jump for that rose to make, but which is possible. Now to get the plant habit right.

I hate you all (jokingly). Freaking bought Tineke thanks to this thread in fear that it would disappear from the market soon. It was a really great rose. If anyone wants pollen from it in a year or two during May-June-July, let me know.

You make it sound like a bad thing :stuck_out_tongue:

If it makes you feel any better you affected my hip pocket too cos I ordered ‘Brindabella Bouquet’ on your suggestion too… that makes us even :slight_smile:

CHEWfragbabe has been in my rose garden for over three weeks now (purchased as a potted budded specimen), and has not even put out one new leaf!! It is sitting in an ideal spot, and has done nothing!!!

Not happy with it, so far.

Sounds like a grower issue and not the variety. One company here sent out nearly an entire inventory a few years ago of almost all duds. I am not naming names cause I dont want trouble, but most American rosarians will know who.

Yeah… I’d regraft it and see what happens.