hybrid hulthemia sold in germany without breeders origin

Hi,

since 2008 there is a hybrid hulthemia sold in Germany.

It is branded as ‘Persian Butterfly’.

It is sold by a german nursery which is today not established as a rose breeders company.

They have a colored label at each plant, telling ‘brand mark, replication permitted, hybrid rose species’.

I asked one of the people there and he said, Euphrates is one of the parents.

They sell it in containers for

Rene,

Please try to take a photo of the plant / flower and show us.

George

Someone named “nela” in Bavaria posted this information on HelpMeFind/roses –

Rose Listing Omission

persian butterfly

Breeder: Vierl

Can you post a link to the nursery’s website?

One more thought–

The german company sells this rose bareroot (“wurzelnackt”). The other vendor in Europe with bareroot hulthemias is Harkness, and the rose in the picture bears a striking resemblence to one of the new Harkness hulthemias. See, HARsidon, sold in England as “Alissar, Princess of Phoenicia.” Moreover, the Harkness advertising copy describes that rose as “Its delightful blooms bring to mind the fluttering of butterflies.”

Hmmm.

Link: http://www.roses.co.uk/acatalog/Alissar.html

that link has an excess http:// so it won’t run. Also, I had to omit the cultivar name.html to get a page, which was the catalog index. then pick the cv you want from three under “new introductions”. Two of the three look to be not very fine representatives of the ideal hulthemia hybrid. The copy says as much, they are too double. But might do for breeding stock.

The vierlander site photo also has something that I’ve seen in Lois Hole’s book with the pictures of some of the Harkness hybrids. The picture shows blooms with pink petals and off to the right is one with yellow-orange petals. That yellow-orange seems in Mrs. Hole’s photo to be the color that the bloom opened to and then the pink was the fade to color.

There is no good chance to make a photo now because the first bloom is over.

I took a scan from a 2007 flyer.

Headline: ‘Our own Vierlaender breedings’

'Persian Butterfly, hybr. persica: This variety is a gem in every rose collection. The blooms resemble a rockrose or bloom of hibiscus. They are double with 10-12 petals. The blotch at the center of the bloom is magenta and has a red margin. Spectacular on this bloom is furthermore that the bloom color changes in different states. The bud is yellow-apricot, fades to soft pink or red, depending on weather. The shrub is repeat blooming and can reach 120 cm.

Vierlaender rose 2007.’

@Ann

Is the scanned photo at the right similar to that in Lois Hole’s book ?

@Kathy

Thanks for investigating.

Today I asked at Harkness on this issue.

Awaiting an answer soon.

Rene

Mistranslation in my startup message, correct is:

They have a colored label at each plant, telling ‘brand mark, replication PROHIBITED, hybrid rose species’…

Rene

Does Germany allow importation, and will this nursery send it to the United States?

I tried to import the Japanese Kensei roses, but I couldn’t get pass the language barriers…

Enrique,

the conditions of this nursery only fit to german customers.

It doesn

This is interesting as I have asked the question here in the past regarding the fertilty of ‘Euphrates’ and the general consensus was that it is pretty much completely sterile both ways… I know this doesn’t means it would never produce anything (and I am hoping to throw its pollen at everything I’ve got over the next season or so to see if I CAN get anything to stick) but it does mean that lots have tried it before and failed… I would be interested to hear what else was used to make this rose and if in fact ‘Euphrates’ was a parent.

I bought it yesterday.

There was one bloom, the photo is from 5:oo pm

This photo is from today 1:00 pm, the bud opened early in the morning.

Picture 1 looks like “Peachy Cream” in

http://www.ars.org/Quarterlies/OGR&Shrub_Vol5-1.pdf.

Picture 2 fits to the name “Peachy Cream”.

The Harkness company answered, only one grower received his first Harsidon in winter 2007/08 so he has not had time to propagate plants that could be sold in 2008.

Ren

Rene, that is a very pretty Hulthemia and nice photos. It is very possible that it is a different Hulthemia than ‘Peachy Cream’. Several of my Hulthemia seedlings look very similar to this one. This coloring is fairly common. What distinguishes the seedlings from one another (similar to rose seedlings) is their bush habit, floriferousness and disease resistance.

Jim Sproul

Rene, that link sent my virus scanner into a hizzy, telling me it contains a virus and to not open it…??? I use AVAST!

Jadae, try the link again, BUT first remove the dot after pdf, it should work ok.

Jim,

it

Hi Rene,

I do not know whether this could be another breeder’s Hulthemia seedling, but don’t know how you would go about checking on it.

The difficulty in breeding with these (especially from ‘Tigris’), has been to get fully repeat blooming seedlings. The next step was to get a good blotch on these. And then finally, to get good plants.

This one is probably a repeat bloomer and should be fairly easy to use, however, you may find that most of the seedlings do not have a blotch as good as that one.

Jim Sproul