Good and Bad Hulthemia Traits

I had hoped that this Hulthemia hybrid would have been good enough to introduce, but it appears to have too much ‘Tigris’ baggage. It’s appearance has changed significantly from it’s first bloom.

Jim Sproul

Link: sproulroses.blogspot.com/2011/11/hulthemia-traits-good-and-bad.html

Wow Jim!! The blooms are SOOO gorgeous. Your advances with Hulthemias is amazing. Thank you for all the work you are doing with them and taking Harkness and Moore’s work to the final stages of having commercially viable hybrids for rosarians everywhere to enjoy. I am soo excited to grow your Eyeconic series this coming year and for your releases to come.

It certainly does have a lot of eye appeal. Kind of what I wish the ‘hand painted’ series would show. Very nice and hopefully this will be recaptured in a future generation.

Gorgeous.

I just ordered Hannah Gordon on impulse, specifically to cross with the Eyeconics.

Wait until you see Eyeconic(r) Pomagranate Lemonade coming in 2013 from Jim. The name is a mouthful, but the flower is something else.

I love how the look on this particular rose makes the flower almost look like a trumpet. A little optical illusion. Too bad for the die back. I hope it makes a good breeder for you. Can’t wait to see your next rose.

Visually it is very exciting!

I’ve been meaning to comment on the couple earlier generation hulthemias you sent out last year. Both I89-2 and G34 have great color intensity, though here in KS the central blotch is minimal outside in summer.

I89-2 (2 plants) languished in a cold greenhouse last winter and didn’t do much all summer except get defoliated by B.S. It defoliated nearly as fast and easy as Soliel d’Or, which seemed to arrive here with B.S. already established. Did produce a few flowers to use in pollinating various things. I brought them in under lights about Oct 1 and now one plant has a flower just fully opened on a 10 inch stem. Both have lots of shoots now.

G34 did better, not so susceptible to B.S. though it did lose most leaves by fall. It accepted pollens and set seeds. It was used as pollen donor on several plants.

Most interesting to me was that both gave hips on Peachy Creeper (Euphoria) though not until that decided to produce terminal flowers in autumn on canes of 40 leaves. So I’m trying to ripen hips in the cold greenhouse. P.C. which may descend from Euphrates according to some lore, managed almost all summer holding its foliage unsprayed, but late in season it has shed most every leaf with B.S. all over. I think it resisted shedding until autumn despite earlier infection. But perhaps it didn’t get infected until leaves were getting older. Not sure. There was lots of infection surrounding it.

Thanks Jim, for giving us a shot at playing with these early products. I’m hopeful something good may come of it.

Thank you for your comments on this one. I had hoped that the plant would be better, but the nice thing about rose breeding is that you can sometimes get lucky and carry a trait along further to get the desired results.

Hi Jacques, so that is quite a mouthful! Is that the working name for 09 6940? Pomegranate does fit the color.

Hi Larry, I think that I89-2 and G34 only have value in that they are closer to ‘Tigris’ in lineage. I89-2 has brought more intensity of color to the breeding line, while as you mention, G34 has brought better cleanliness. A word of caution though about G34, while it does set hips extremely well (and because of that, it is tempting to make many crosses onto it), the germination rate of its seeds is horrible. I wasted a lot of time on it. Pink Lemonade is a better germinator, so I would consider crossing G34 onto it.

Jim Sproul

Jim

It is a mouthful indeed…And it is CP096940. It will never make a big plant, it is more like a mini with a large flower and it seems to be quite resistant to mildew and rust.

Jacques

Any chance of seeing a photo of Jim’s newest addition to the Eyeconic family? I don’t know if it is being kept under wraps but it sounds exciting.

Hi Julie,

I have a couple of photos of it that I can put on my blog, but I will have to wait for an “okay” from Jacques. This is one of the few Hulthemias that I have seen that has a blotch with really good heat stability.

Jim Sproul

I love your Hulthemias and the Eyeconics are on next springs shopping list. Crazy about the color of that one, Jim! Shame it has problems.

They look like tropical flowers, very exotic ! They inspire me to get one or two hulthemia hybrids here as well.

Good luck with your work, hopefully die back problem will be beaten.

The pictureof the 2 new Eyeconics(and all other relevant information on the roses)should be available in January 2012 when we finalize our 2013 catalog.

Jim,

All my Moore hulthemia’s had a tough summer this year with entire canes having died for no apparent reason. Is this what you meant by dieback?

Sounds like it. Tigris would shed whole sections of the plant for no apparent reason. Euphrates does it, but not as extensively. Nigel Hawthorne was pretty good about not dying back. Ralph’s seem to need more heat to prevent it, but a few of them occasionally shed canes for no obvious reason. Kim

I have never been lucky enough to own a specimen of Tigris, however my Euphrates got spectacular global PM affecting every inch of it.

I put Euphrates out of its misery after owning it just a few short months. It was as good as dead from fungus attack (PM). If I recall correctly, some members here who are well versed in hulthemia suggested to me at the time that I may have been overwatering it (daily watering in a pot).

They need excellent drainage. Rememeber where theyre from. Even Nigel Hawthorn will resent too much water in relativity to what other rose may be near.

Yup I would agree it makes botanical sense in relation to persica and its hybrids.

As a result of this lesson learned, I intend to keep what few hybrid persica seedlings I now have on the dry side this season, even if they are in pots and even if ambient temps are high. Thing is, we also have relatively high humidity as well as heat, but that prolly doesn’t help much either come to think of it!