First Germinations?

This week I had the first germinations of the season and both already have the beginning of the first true leaves.

(Julia Child X Monsieur Tillier) X Othello

Dame d’ Coeur X Phaleonopsis

Congratulations!

Still waiting on mine. Congrats!

Still waiting on mine too. Congrats

And the fun begins again!

I really like the sound of that first cross.

Best wishes Joan!

And here a lot of sit waiting to harvest the hips…

Hope you have some good ones Joan!

Congratulations Joan,

I just put my seeds into cold treatment last Sunday, so it’ll be a few months before I see any germinations.

Congratulations! Interesting crosses. Show us pics when they bloom.

Cool! That first cross intrigues me, especially its seed parent. Julia Child hasn’t worked very well as a seed parent for me, but Mons. Tillier gives great pollen and it often works on roses that aren’t very fertile, even tetraploids. Haven’t tried Mons. T. on Julia, but it sounds like a great idea.

Julia Child X Mons. Tillier is a cross I made in 2007. It is a big blousey pink bloom with a sort of coral wash in cool weather. Even in the heat this summer the blooms remained their normal size although a bit more pastel. I have about 8 cuttings in now and if enough of them take I plan to register it in the spring.

This is the firt season of germinations Im actually scared. I have far too many successful crosses relative to the amount of space I have. Yellow Brick Road, alone, produced like 30 to 40 massive hips with abundant seed (30+ per hip). Its just too many! I’m going to have to scheme up some mobile bin system for germinating and culling.

I know the feeling. What IF in the past the hips where picked too soon and now the germination is going improve. Why NOW are there so many hips on a rose. WHY do the hips look different this year. Its a numbers game but if it turns out to be 5K instead of 500 seedlings, big problem. Neil

No, not a “problem”, every year is different. Some years, you’re overloaded. Others, nothing works. Thankfully, it helps to prevent burn-out. Kim

Well okay then. I just put the data in and let the subconscious figure it out if and when. Neil

At least you guys have hips and seeds for this year. Everything was looking great, until a cute, little, doe-eyed furry creature with hooves ate every almost-ripened hip in my garden for breakfast last month. I picked about seven hips prematurely, and I’m glad I got those before he did.

Andy

After a little over three weeks in the fridge, I have germination from ‘Show n’ Tell’. The excitement starts!

Wait until you see some of the colors selfs of Show’n’Tell can generate, Rob! Ralph raised several which were as unusual as Jocelyn. That orange makes a lot of browns and purples. I hope they’re as healthy there are they are here! Kim

a cute, little, doe-eyed furry creature with hooves ate every almost-ripened hip in my garden for breakfast

Venison.

Wait until you see some of the colors selfs of Show’n’Tell can generate

Not surprising in that it has a plethora of vivid ancestors including a couple that are off the beaten path - R

Jim, those blooms are wonderful! I hope you can carry them forward on better plants.

Don, I’m sorry! You can appreciate “Purina”, the resident rabbit out back. hehehe Kim

I’m hoping for something really nice from Show n Tell Kim. Browns and purple work for me!