F3 Hybrid Rosa Virginiana Seedlings

This is the first of the F3 Virginiana hybrids going to flower, a small flower bud has formed. The cross is (Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X (Charles Austin X ( Mimas X R. Virginiana))

Warren
O18 P47.jpg

Really nice Warren. What are you hoping for when you envision the bloom?

Very interesting and healthy looking foliage, Warren!

Thanks Rob and John. Some of the foliage being produce is glauca to look at as well.

Rob with the bloom structure I have not a clue whats going to happen, this is all new for me and unpredictable.

A little update with these hybrids, the winter has been a little colder this year so growth has been a bit slow.

Warren

O25 P20 (Disco Lemonade) x (Sympathie x (Mimas X R. virginiana))
O11 P47 (Valkeeri x ( Charles Austin x (Mimas X R. virginiana))
O4 P26 (Mimas X R. virginiana) x Seedling of Robe Fleurie
O25 P20 2.jpg
O11 P47.jpg
O4 P26.jpg

O25 P20 (Disco Lemonade x (Sympathie x (Mimas X R. virginiana))
O25 P63 (Disco Lemonade X ((Sympathie X R. virginiana) X Elara)
O28 P20 (Wendy X Altissimo) X (Sympathie X ( Mimas X R. Virginana))
O25 P20.jpg
O25 P63.jpg
O28 P20.jpg

O34 P47 Westerland X ( Charles Austin X ( Mimas X R. virginiana))
O34 P20 Westerland X ((Sympathie X R. virginiana) X Elara)
O34 P47 2.jpg
O34 P47 1.jpg
O34 P20.jpg

O18 P47 (Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X ( Charles Austin X ( Mimas X R. virginiana))
O18 P47.jpg
O34 P47 3.jpg

Technically these are B3 = Backcross generation 3.

F3 virginiana would be i.e: ((Mme C Testou X R. virginiana) X ( Charles Austin X R. virginiana)) X ( Mimas X R. virginiana)

A cross between F1 hybrid and one of its parents is known as a backcross.

I have nt done this yet in these.

Choice of words is difficult. I probably did not understand well.

The backcross I speak of is to garden hybrids. Away from named species whose genes are diluted more and more.

This do not lower these plant appeal only species content.

After how many generations of crossing away from species is the reference obsolete I do not know.

Probably there are no rules.

I would say after the 4 generations of cross one would have to say, these are roses which have R. virginiana within them and not Virginiana Hybrids. Those which are worthy will be crossed back amongst themselves, that is the reason I diversified the breeding lines so much, with this in thought. The original F1 crosses have good cold tolerance as shown by Joe growing these seedlings in Minnesota where they were exposed to -38 F.

Warren

Those which are worthy will be crossed back amongst themselves, that is the reason I diversified the breeding lines so much, with this in thought.

Precisely my own strategy.

The original F1 crosses have good cold tolerance as shown by Joe growing these seedlings in Minnesota where they were exposed to -38 F.

Which is really to be expected given the geographic range of virginiana and which makes your own use of it an unusual choice. Is it safe to assume you are after the disease resistance aspects of virginiana, then?

Hi Don,
These seedling if worthy will end up in Europe. I have some of my cultivars growing in Lithuania and Sweden, it would be good to give them a cultivar which is repeat blooming with an added bonus of cold tolerance. The Virginiana hybrids seem at the moment to be of reasonable health, last year I added some Hybrid Rugosa into their genetics which will give them that little bit more.

This work seems endless as you see new possibilities arising, but the main aim is to try and get them to repeat the flowering in a given growing season.

Warren

It looks like most of this years seedlings of F3 Virg hyb are going to flower for me. I can’t wait to see the bloom structure and sniff the perfume if any.

Warren

Seedling O18 X P47.
(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X K14 L38
O18 P47.jpg

A F3 Virginiana Hybrid which looks like it is going to repeat flower me. The colour looks like its going to be dark red. Seedling O11 P47.
O11 P47.jpg

The first seedling is a F3 hybrid O18 P47 . The second is a F3 hybrid, Disco Lemonade X P63.
O18 P47.jpg
O25 P63.jpg

Another of the Disco Lemonade X [ (Sympathie X R. virginiana) X Elara] foliage is a bit different from that of the previous post.
O25 P63 typ2.jpg

Warren,

Looking at the parentage of some of these I’m liking your Elara and Mimas a lot.