"Eyes" in the garden

Kim, I have since corrected the wording (it was a typo), it was meant to read “bare root T-budded plant”…bare with me!!!..YOU ARE JUST TOO FAST at reading posts!!!

…and I am too fast at making LOADS of typos…

ROFLOL

:O)

Ok, thanks, that makes much more sense!

Thanks for the early catch.

Much appreciated…better to fix early, than to find out the typo error later, when the time-based option to correct expires my end.

George, I have just gone to the IP/PBR on that rose and found the details. I will contact Australian Roses, I know the owner and Chris Prescott the the person that writes up the details(authorised person). I will have a chat.

I definitely have petal envy. My Bull’s Eye from Edmunds came withered up and I doubt it will survive. (Whimsy was also completely dessicated. I’m planning a post comparing retail mail order suppliers this spring and Edmunds isnt faring well.) I suppose they’ll make me wait until next year for a replacement.

Kim, I’m not sure if you crossed the line from enabling to just flat out taunting! LOL. I need that rose!

I’m sure I’m missing this somewhere in this thread as it no doubt was asked, but can someone tell me who carries this rose state-side?

OK… certainly no plant rivalry going on here…YOU WIN…KIM!!!

Look at my Eyes For You in my location, this morning (mid autumn).

Note the lack of foliage…yes you guessed it…victim to the local races of BS. Some of the remaining leaves have new BS lesions, but I’ll be danged if I remove them prematurely…if I did remove ALL affected leaves, it would prolly decline rapidly and maybe even die!

Just too bad!!

[attachment 586 1.JPG]

I think it needs more air circulation, but the soil looks helpful. It is still a kid still, too.

Correct, correct and correct on all 3 points.

It was obviously an own root when I got it (this in itself represents a tiny rose revolution in my country where most every rose I can remember was sold bud grafted onto some rose-rubbish rootstock, since I was a kid).

This one lives with me at the rental home, where the garden is not much more than you see in the pick , plus there are pots. Until a few weeks ago it was in a huge pot, but I plonked it into soil, as none of my roses seem to really love living in pots, no matter what treats / tricks I serve up to them. I think part of the problem with pots is that when it gets hot, the black plastic fries the outermost roots (in my location).

It is in the sun-facing orientation (lucky)…It should fare ok in our coming spring/summer/early autumn when the sun arcs across the sky much more directly overhead and there is not so much shadowing onto it. But between now (mid-autumn) and until end of winter (August) it will suffer due to long shadowing affecting that spot, due to surrounding structures. In winter it’ll likely get zero direct solar hit, however it is dormancy time then so wateva.

I have no choice…except to plant it at my mom’s garden which is huge by local standards, but then there is lots of travel involved to do the necessaries with it (breeding).

a glimpse of a typical inner city garden round here (still lovin’ it, tho!).

Black plastic can get hot, George, but it is a far sight superior to clay, terra cotta or ceramic, which are all cooking utensils. I’ve grown many hundreds of roses and other plants in plastic nursery cans over the past thirty years and they are still the better choice over the more “desirable”, pretty alternatives. While they absorb the heat from direct sun exposure and transmit it to the interior, once the direct heat source moves, they cool quickly. Clay and ceramic retain the heat like passive solar collectors, radiating it for a long time after the heat is turned off.

You can alleviate a lot of that cooking with any kind of pot by creating an air space inside. Wrapping the interior with bubble wrap reduces the root area, but adds air between the sides and the roots. When I worked at the beach, we had a well-heeled lady who insisted upon growing an “English garden” in her blamed cast iron urns. She had a full 180 degree view of the Pacific from up on the bluffs. Full sun, sun up to sun down, any time there wasn’t fog, with a stone patio and two stories of stucco solar collection surfaces. Nothing planted in those ovens lasted more than a few days at best, until they were generously insulated with many layers of bubble wrap inside. Plants suffered from the reduced soil and root room, but they didn’t fry as quickly.

I’ve done similarly here with a Mexican clay pot on the deck out back. The space receives full sun all year and it elevated a story from the slope with no trees to interrupt the solar radiation. I lined the interior of the thing with bubble wrap and planted a “dwarf” bougainvillea in it. The plant looks stressed when it’s really bad and I forget to water, but it’s now over two years old and flowers like mad.

There are too few cuss words to demonstrate my feelings about the person you spoke about, lol.

Oh, do I hear what you’re thinking, Michael! It’s often seemed to me we’re already too far removed from the soil. What seems so obvious, often eludes many. I had a gentleman up in The Highlands, many hundreds of feet higher up the mountain than the nursery and easily forty degrees hotter as it was above the fog layer much of the time. He had six large clay pots with mature gardenias in them. Five flourished, while the sixth fried regularly and he just couldn’t figure it out. We played the twenty questions game and I finally had him take photos and bring them in. Duh! Five pots were behind a short pony wall. The sixth and one which chronically overheated, was in full, direct sun, against a stone pillar on a stone surface! It amazes me why it is so difficult for people to figure out unless the soil mass is sufficiently large to insulate the plant, you can’t plant things in cooking utensils in the path of a heat source and have it be HAPPY! Or, why their small vine or climbing rose just won’t spread itself out against the super hot cement wall without burning; or why the roses along the concrete drive fry faster than those planted along the lawn; or… I actually suggested to one man to remove his shirt and press his bare back against his hot, cement wall and see if HE wanted to push himself across it to cover it up. He finally got it. Oy!

Grabs the obligatory coffee, and tries not to spurt it all over the computer monitor and keyboard in yet another fit of hysterical laughter

OK I get it! BUBBLE WRAP, that is an awesome solution Kim. I’ll do that for the roses I have in pots, its time to re-pot 'em soon anyways now that dormancy time is arriving here.

This fungally challenged EFY of mine has very privileged “in-the-Earth-garden space” allocated to it, but if I move house, IT’S a movin’ with me!

I don’t blame you! I’ve found the larger bubbles insulate better than the tiny ones. About one inch “blisters” are what is in the bougainvillea out back and it’s hanging in there well. Yup, watch that coffee! LOL!

Thank you for the extra information, you betcha I will use that size, then!

You’re welcome! What also works are thin sheets of Styrofoam. Half inch or so is a good thickness for cutting into narrow strips to form around the inside. Quarter inch thickness may form OK without having to be cut to make it flexible. Either are good, all depending upon what you have or what you can inexpensively obtain.

Thx!

Good point about direct sun on the plastic pots. I had planted some rooted cuttings in plastic pots. Some I left in full sun and others in partial shade to full shade. When I realized during the middle of summer that those in the sun were gradually dying, it was too late. Lesson learned but needed a reminder. Thanks!

Jim

Hello everyone,

Eyes For You in Slovenia, 1st spring. In the morning the fragnance was very strong, almost like violets. I hope I will be able to use it in my breeding program.

[attachment 622 Eyesshrub.jpg]

[attachment 620 Eyes2.jpg]

[attachment 623 Eyes4.jpg]

Regards,

Irena

Your EFY looks fantastically healthy so far in your garden Irena, great pics!

You might consider starting to use its pollen at this early stage of its life!

I can confirm the pollen sets a good number of hips and seeds with several tetrapolid roses I have used as mom roses (seed stratifying atm).

I have found my EFY has not set hips (as a female) with deliberate pollinations I tried onto it, but this could be due to the fact my specimen is still a very young kid, and /or the pollens I used were perhaps of “weak fertility”.