Experience with 'Mandarin Sunblaze' or other orange recommendations

Looking for info on health and fertility on ‘Mandarin Orange’. This has a nice orange color. It has Teddy Bear in its parentage.

Also looking for recommendations for any other strong/pleasing orange that holds its color, is very healthy and is fertile.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.36705.0&tab=1

Hi Rob,

What is your goal? What do you want to combine it with? On HMF there are photos that suggest that it fades. What disease pressure do you fight most in your climate?

Jim Sproul

Hello Jim. I’m working toward smaller stature plants that are disease resistant, fragrant, hold color well, are fertile, hardy to about zone 5 at least, in DEEP red (black tones), yellow, orange, apricot, mauve, purple and russet. I currently have what I think are good breeding stock that include Quadra, Illusion, Westerland, Autumn Sunset, Polka, Cuthbert Grant, Midnight Blue, John Davis, Sunsprite, Cinco de Mayo, Distant Drums, and Abraham Darby.

I have a separate goal for mauve to purple flowers on blue/grey leaves with red/purple highlights. To that goal I have ‘Ruglauca’, Midnight Blue, “Rugosa #3 x Metis”, and ‘Skinner’s Red Leaf Perpetual’. There is a new purple climber, Stormy Weather, being release in spring that I may add to my stock as well.

Hopefully I will be getting something positive from my own crosses this winter as well to use.

I haven’t been able to ID a good orange or Russet yet and would like some suggestions. I’ll probably post a message soon listing additional choices of potential parents to purchase this spring for input from you all. Thanks!

Jim,

Missed your last question. Mostly I see blackspot in my area.

Mandarin sunblaze looks realy pretty but the lineage screams mildew to me. Leonidas, Teddy Bear … ? =/ the color looks nice though.

You may want to look at the work of Kordes and Noack.

Cinco de Mayo may work well. It has a nice plant.

I know that Salita, and possibly Kordes Brilliant, are on the larger side, but I think theyre great here. Salita will melt your eye sockets out, lol. I mentioned Alfresco earlier in another thread, that should give warm blends and is a relation to kordesii types. Flower Carpet Scarlet may have a lot to offer. Anyways, there are options out there. Theyre just hard to find. Oh yeah, Buck has a few very odd colored varieties. Likewise, Bailey made a few brilliant colors before they fell off the cliff.

Jadae,

Thanks for the suggestions. BS was a comment for Mandarin Sunblaze under member comments. Salita…now THAT is what I’m talking about. What a beautiful color. I hate when there is no parentage listed, and there are no descendants listed either. I’ll check out the others. Thanks again.

Did you consider Meilland’s Christopher Columbus and Easy Does It. Color fastness isn’t top but for the class everything else is.

‘Livin’ Easy’ and ‘Kanegem’ were very healthy for me, but I don’t get to evaluate BS consistently. I love the color of ‘Camara’, however, it would need to be combined with something really clean.

Jim Sproul

Kanegem is better at BS than Livin Easy. Livin Easy is more true orange than Kanegem is. However, I would go with something like Remembrance. It is related to Kanegem but with more diversity in it via Trumpeter. It is also dwarf like Regensberg is. Remembrance is that type of chinese orange-red that will melt your eye sockets :slight_smile: I love it, lol. I resists fade like no other.

Oh yeah, I kept an old seedling that was vigorless because it was spotless and I loved the color. It is from HC Anderson x Remembrance. It is semi-double, wavy and the deepest, truest crimson I have seen. However, when the air gets cold, a mauve-purple overcast starting from the eye-zone begines to bleed in. The foliage and growth are great. It simply does not have vigor. I should graft it but I dont believe in creating roses that require grafting to be an end-product for someone else. I kept it cause I thought it was cute :stuck_out_tongue: but it gave me an idea on how diverse the color genetics in both roses were. There is no doubt in my mind that Remebrance can breed interesting colors if matched properly.

Smoke Rings is available too. No clue if its good. My experience with Easy Going is thorns galore. It behaves differently than Livin Easy but it was otherwise good. I have a feeling that Carrot top performs better though. I have yet to see a good mini since Playgold in the AOE test gardens. They always look like gross naked sticks.

The Vigorosas are considerations. Take a look at Pickering, too, at some of Fryer’s work. They breed a lot of smoldering tones. Pickering seems to be Fryer’s #1 N.American distributor.

btw, I was very pleased with Cinnamon Girl. It did very well here in Walla Walla, WA where I am spending Thanksgiving with almost family in law. lol, we almost died getting here too. The roads are lethal and everyone is imprisoned in white here in the PNW :slight_smile:

At any rate, Cinnamon Girl was a gift and it turned out to be quite the carefree gift in this climate niche. The color is unique and the plant superior to the usual JP trash. In fact, I am surprised it has been understated. The color, btw, is cinnamon orange-russet with a cream reverse. The petal face becomes purple as it ages, but the reverse still stays cream. The blooms last a very long time.

And more spam from me – Honey Sweet might throw fun colors. I saw minor bs on it though in Portland, but not enough to cry about. It probably isnt quite as hardy as most Buck roses but its definitely a unique color.

Hi Jadae,

I agree that ‘Cinnamon Girl’ has good potential. It is very vigorous and produces very large sprays. I didn’t use it in breeding this year since it was new, but I will try it as a pollen parent next year. How is it for BS?

Some of my ‘Marmalade Skies’ x ‘Baby Love’ derivatives have been good for cleanliness and nice orange colors.

Jim Sproul

Jim,

Thank you for suggesting Camara. Love that color…amazing orange.

Jadae,

I looked at the ones you suggested and in the end what made my mouth drop were ‘Smoke Rings’ and ‘Remembrance’. SM could have a lot of possibilities. I can see mixing SM with ‘Midnight Blue’ as well as with a deep red or orange. I’m guessing ‘Remembrance’ has some fertility if you used it yourself as a parent.

Thanks guys!

BS isnt an issue in Walla Walla, so I have no clue. Mildew is and I did not see any at all. The plant was very full and round btw. Cinnamon Girl is a very fluffy girl, lol.

Hey Jadae,

BTW, I first met my in-laws to be in Walla Walla and then got married there too!

haha, thats cool Jim. I adore Walla Walla but Im sick of getting stuck here by ice. Its a pretty cool town. It has a very unusual mix of people with about equal parts university folk, 7th day adventist, rural folk and hispanic. I kind of like it lol. Its a really calm, pretty area.

Mandarin Sunblaze is much better for BS resistance than most minis out there. It’s also very vigourous and should be a good parent fot Miniflora (whatever that is) and floribundas.

Jacques,

Do you know anything about fertility for MS?

Rob