Does 'Peace' have anything left to offer?

Hi Jon. Oddly my uncle also had a fairly ancient specimen of ‘climbing Peace’ prolly planted in the late 1960’s and it only died a few months back.

It was gangly, very wody, had got lots of dieback, set OP hips, and got very defoliated with BS here on the coast. It was never fed sprayed or watered in its life.

The flowers were magnificent of course, but repeat bloom was poor…there never seemed to be enough of them!

Despite its many flaws, I do miss it now, sorta like you appreciate some things more only when you lose them, having spent a life time wondering if you really liked them much in the first place…LOL… kinda similar to my own ambivalence towards Peace the bush version!!

wody=woody

I just took cuttings of what I believe to be Personality, a hybrid of Peace and Sutter’s Gold. It is better than both, in my opinion, as I have watched it for a decade while it has been growing feral next the sidewalk in abandoned land. I have never seen it get die-back, cold damage, or …any care. Its only major fault is balling in wet weather – a definite awful trait of most roses from the pre-1990s. I may cross it with a Buck type. My Sevilliana x Pretty Lady is rain-proof, but its not the right color (white with a hint of blush) for such a cross. I have a nice coral red Remembrance x Double Red Knock Out coming along that may prove useful for such a cross. Time will tell. The nice thing about the newer floribundas from the UK is that theyre likely to resist both die-back and rain damage, lol. Both Pretty Lady and Remembrance shrug at rain.

btw, Solitaire can produce similar color patterns, but healthier seedlings with better color, than Peace.

1 Like

Kim,

Does Chrysler Imperial rust down there? I am thinking of trying Proud Land (Chrysler Imperial x Zulu Queen), but it has multiple lines of Catherine Kordes in it, which is what I fear is one of the sources of rust.

lol the local Bi-Marts here (a small, economic retail chain) is selling Red Radiance in tiny 1g pots this year. I have seen some random, odd stuff sold at that store, but that was surprising lol.

Yes, Michael, CI rusts badly as well as black spots here. In the more arid old garden Catherine Kordes was a great rose, just a bit of mildew early and late in the year. Chrysler Imperial was easy to identify due to the rust. Oddly, Zulu Queen was completely clean there. Proud Land was mildew and rust heaven in that garden during moister periods. And, fungal problems were not the norm in that canyon so if there were issues with health, it usually meant the variety wasn’t healthy.

Red Radiance can have a touch of black spot, but it’s such a great rose (not for form or color, but a healthy, vigorous plant that blooms thirteen months of the year with great fragrance) I grew it and all the sports I could find for years. Loved them all, particularly Careless Love. I have a Mrs. Charles Bell/Radiance plant now that was supposed to be Careless Love but reverted. I love the thing. Kim

Jadae: Glad you mentioned Bi-Mart. They just lowered the prices of roses so it was an offer I couldn’t refuse. Nine roses for 27 bucks. All the big box stores are just a few miles away but I only picked up a bare root of Reine Des Violettes and from one nursery a Chihula.

Oops–9/42. Two Big blue, two intrigue, Pink Parfait, Fragrant Cloud, Country Dancer(own root), and the last two, Sundowner, Qween Elizabeth came from Tyler Tx. (big mistake there) total rotten roses from there last year.

I have kept this thread in my mind re: Pernetianas, more so than Peace, mostly because Peace was the “iconic pinnacle” of the Pernetianas.

I recently discovered that Garden Sun, which Lyn and I updated on HMF, is highly Pernetiana. Not only that, but it is one of the few rare examples of a decent rose coming from a climbing mutation. My favorite pillar rose, Orange Velvet, also did. This method usually produces pillars (think: Aloha) though, which I prefer, and others do not.

Also, I saw Lafter in its full glory recently. Its also highly Pernetiana, both genetically and aesthetically. Its listed as an HT, but thats like calling Carefree Beauty a floribunda. Lafter is very open and spherical if you “let it be”.

Please keep in mind that not only are Pernetiana types are more than just yellow, apricots, bronzes, and bicolor blends. Theyre also useful for unique colors beyond themselves. Despite Sterling Stilver, Angel Face and Leonidas being awful plants, they likely would not have been possible bridges with Pernetianas.