Dead End Blotch?

Over the last few years I have been working to increase blotch size and blotch intensity, hoping to come up with a seedling that could be used to put blotches on other regular roses (hopefully with more ease). I thought that this was the seedling. It turns out it might be a deadend.

The Largest Blotch - A Deadend?

I always had that issue with White Lightnin’ =(

Hi Jim,

I hope it proves to be female fertile for you.

Even if it is truly a dead end in breeding, this season, that might change over time as it matures and in different weather conditions / seasons.

Actually it looks finished product to me, it LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!

That is quite dramatic! Hope it is a good seed producer. Lovely color contrast.

Jim, I know so much less about such things than you do it seems silly to weigh in, but I remember once having a rose (which another hybridizer later told me was sterile) which I tried to work with. Not knowing the thing was supposed to be so hard to work with, I persisted, and after careful observation, I discovered that its sexual organs were ripe/receptive well before the petals would normally open, and by timing my crosses differently, I successfully got hips on the plant.

I only say this because, in consideration of how wide your crosses are, I could imagine that timing issues might come into play with your plants.

Physically, those anthers sure do look fine, and I wonder if, left on the plant after petal drop, for instance, they might mature to a level of shedding pollen?

Don’t give up! That plant sounds like a real gem. If it ain’t timing, it could always be environment…

I so hope it will set hips for you, Jim, because it is a really lovely rose and sounds like it has some very good traits to offer.

Jim S, are you sure you have not got somewhere to place it “just” in case. It is not destined for the shovel is it, hope not.

IF you need somewhere to warehouse it, Jim, I can shove another pot into the ghetto…

It’s OK Jim, Kim has offered to hold it till I can get it here to Australia, Isn’t that right Kim.

Hey, I got room in my yard for that, and I will certainly put it to the test…

Jim that is certainly a nice blotch. Maybe it just needs a little more time to hit maturity and it will maybe start producing fertile pollen. Hopefully in the mean time you can get it to set seed. If it totally sterile maybe it will prove to be a bloom machine.

If the plant is anywhere as good as the photo of the flowers this seedling should not be a hard sell to the public if the comments above does not convince you. Great work.

I know you have worked with striped roses with your blotch, but I was wondering if you tried it with things like stipling or other flower effects. One example would be something like the flowers on Art Nouveau. art nouveau

I have never even seen the plant. Don’t even know if it is a good plant. But when I ran across it I thought of your blotch and how it would look cool on it.

I also thought your blotch could look cool added to stiples. Like on some of the buck roses.

So far, I’m very impressed with the health and vigor of Art Nouveau. I have been intrigued with it since first discovering it because of its lineage. I’d grown Roger Lambelin and Barone Girod d’lAin years ago with the idea of seeing what they might create, but both were such horrible plants here, I shovel pruned the one which didn’t do the only honorable thing and die. I honestly don’t remember which died, but both did…eventually. Even as a young plant, in the same high disease pressure situation Eyes for You grows in, Art is clean. I’m impressed!

Common denominator = Peter James = brilliant!

I see that Art Nouveau is not a stripe in the usual sense, (ramdom breaks in pigment expression), but a developmental segmentation mutant. Looks like petaloids with the dimple in the outer edge and the yellow streak going to the base. This certainly could give some cool effects.

Jim S,

Just a thought…maybe (if possible) repeat the cross you did to get this babe, the siblings might turn out with just as big a blotch and also be crazy fertile! If ya used a whole lot of mixed pollens, at least use mom again with mixed pollens and hope for the best (or better, knowing what you can come up with).

Jim for many years I tried to use Royal Dane as a pollinator, it would not release it pollen. After 4yrs of trying , last spring all Royal Dane blooms released pollen and I finally got to use it. I think in this situation it is a seasonal thing, but I would persist, try taking pollen very early in the season , mid season and then late season, there has to be a corridor of opportunity somewhere.

George mixing the pollens will not make the gametes produce a fertile offspring.

George mixing the pollens will not make the gametes produce a fertile offspring

Actually the idea of mixing the pollens has nothing to do with fertility as far as I can recall.

I would have thought it is pretty hard to predict anything when using mixed pollens, let alone fertility outcomes.

I do recall Jim talking in the past about sometimes using mixed hulthemia pollens in his breeding, in an effort to increase efficiency in the hulthemia blotch quality and size of the babes. What I wrote further up was addressing that aspect of his work… i.e. maybe this seedling was one of those attempts using mixed pollens. If that was the case he cannot repeat the actual cross, but if he knows mom rose, he could repeat crossing mom with mixed pollens again (repeating myself). I would have expected the fertility outcomes to be totally unpredictable.

On the other hand, if the cross was from a known mom and dad rose, then of course he could redo that if he wanted to, which I also mentioned, which might then be an option.

Just some thoughts…that’s all!

It would be like emptying a packet of smarties and looking at all the colours

Correct, Warren!

Dunno if they have smarties (the kids’ lollies) over there … LOL

:O)