Dead End Blotch?

Never heard of “Smarties”, but we have Tootsie Pops, Blo Pops and Dum Dums!

Smarties are yummie when your a kid.

[attachment 605 smarties.jpg]

The look like M&M’s to me! :wink:

Jim P

Dum Dums!

U serious???

0_0

Those sound the best ROFLOL!!!

Nice shot there Warren, YUM.

Smarties are powdered discs here. We have what you show in the pic but theyre different, nameless, and sold in quarter machines at malls.

You got Chupa Chups over there?

Jim P, we also have M&M’s just for your information, so there!

:stuck_out_tongue:

No but Im sure my sister in law (Aussie) would know about them.

LOL! Haven’t seen those, but around here a “chupa” refers to this. I once worked where the manager was a rather “difficult” woman. The Latinos (and I) referred to her behind her back as “la chupa”.

All these different mythical creatures, all we have here is the Yowie and the Bunyip.

Warren, it’s a little scary that you had such quick access to such a large stash of Smarties.

Yeah, we got Dum Dums on this side of the world…

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great comments - Smarties included! We need Smarties here! Yes I have a sweet tooth or two. And no, the others haven’t fallen out!

Regarding parentage, I do know the mom, but George is right, I mixed the pollens with this one. I used the same seed parent in several crosses last year and am very pleased with what I am seeing in its seedlings this year. What I am not seeing though, is any thornlessness. The seed parent is N159-5 and has Chewtiggle, Persian Sunset and Bull’s Eye in its ancestry. It was a brand new seedling in 2010, so the seedling in question resulted from a cross that I made onto it in its first year as a seedling.

So it seems quite likely that it may not have had enough time for the pollen to mature-not unusual or freaky or any such thing for roses to not be fully fertile until yr three, and sometimes more. Patience will tell.

Hi Jackie,

Yes I will keep trying. Another that failed for me for the first 2 years was a prior favorite, M62. It doesn’t work as a seed parent, but if I collect 10-15 blooms, I can get enough pollen to be effective. Even so, many brand new seedlings produce abundant pollen, just not this one!

Hi Jim S;

I know what your thoughts are on white eyes in rose blooms in relation to the hulthemia blotch, I was just wondering if you had crossed a cultivar with a very large white eye with Hulthemia Hybrid pollen.

[attachment 651 014.jpg]This is an example only, as I would n’t use this in an hulthemia cross as the surrounding colour is too dark, but to demonstrate a large white eye. I can only go on what I may think could happen, with such a large white eye being imprinted with a dominate traite as in the hulthemia blotch. When viewing pics of Hulthemia hybrids with a tiny line shaped blotch, it makes you wonder if it was caused from a very small white eye at the base of the petals being imprinted with the blotch.

Sometimes I view blooms in another dimension as in negative, the colour distraction is taken away and you can see what is really going on.

[attachment 652 neg.jpg]

Hi Warren,

I have made crosses with most color variations of roses and have not worried about the petal color, but rather used a particular rose mainly for its cleanliness and floriferousness. I have noted however, that certain varieties (both lighter and darker type colors), seem to resist the expression of the blotch. Even so, the blotch does appear to be a dominant trait, but modifiable with various rose genes.

The seedling discussed in this thread, code named “O352”, may not be a “dead end” after all!

Hulthemia Fertility - Update on Seedling “O352”

Oh I am sooo happy for you Jim, congrats!!

Hi Jim , you wouldn’t mind telling what varieties resist the blotch expression.

Congratulations Jim! I’m thrilled the thing is working as seed for you!

I noticed that the the faded out blooms of my rooted cutting of Art Deco had a dark eye zone. This may be of interest to any of you playing with persica. I just wanted to grow it to hybridize it with my Ann Endt x Ann Endt seedling, but it could be of use to the rest of you, too.

That blotch is still looking good, in fact better and better. Great that it will get a chance to produce more of the same or even better. What I want to see is the blotch that is big enough to give a consistent picotee!