2022 Hybridization List - Todate

Hi Stefan

Absolutely true l am very interested in “trying” R. beggeriana nigrescencs. Even tried to get it a couple of times from Dansk.

As usual my attitude not too fussed about true name, but interested in making myself extremely micro knowledgeable on it and laxa characteristics. Former “named beggeriana has been found hardy in zone 3 Cdn so another check mark for breeding.

And l thought a weak rule of thumb was pink can be indicator of hybrid.

For me the former (laxa) a potentially good starting point by preference. Latter or derivatives having been used in modern times, l think by Dr Zlesak (if right spelling, figured out a close name association) and Skinner. And former claimed used Wasserman (close?).

There are 7 parents for height l have selected. RR#1, R. laxa, R. beggerriana, R. helenae (tender), Lykkefund (tender), and two duds - for me only.

As an aside The Gift may offer an opportunity to test taking floriferous to hardy … and long shot wake up tall - also just needs color.

Duds so far as seed parent Polstjarnan and M6910. Not thrown in towel for them yet. Mainly because Andre succeeded with M6910, and got a red bloom with showing M6910 structure. I can’t remember if pollen or seed parent with Lac la Nonne, info in his post. I believe my maybe M690 cross with Prairie Dawn as seed just gave a PD selfie. Waiting still for bloom - though tall for 1yr + old seedling.

Txs for engaging in technical and tried experiences pass over, science data/info and guides , potentials, blind alley potential and suggestions that one could always get a wag success if u got the focused time energy and stock (l do) etc…

l find all useful as stewardship suggestions to consider to guide and avert reinventing the wheel, or square wheels, and maybe get to my goal(s).

I’m a newbie.

I only have made a crossing with what I have on hand. It’s Line Renaud (MEIclusif) x Jardin des Tuilieries (DELcréor). Seeds are already stratifying in the fridge.

Next year I could work with:

• Chippendale
  • Senteur Royale
  • Shchöne Maid
  • Luise Bugnet
  • Gorgeous (POUlpmt009)

Welcome to the forum @Sanips!
I wish you success with your seeds!
I am also a newbie and like you my seeds are sitting in the fridge for now.
Good luck with yours!

@RikuHelin My head is spinning looking at that huge list of crosses! Wow! Also it’s fascinating to read about your below zero experiments and your methods. One takeaway is I will probably switch to perlite, I agree it makes it easier to see things compared to trying to retrieve seeds in vermiculite.

1 Like

Welcome Sanips, nearly 100% of what l learned about hybridizing has come from the RHA and high performing amateurs who openly share their knowledge and experiences. However l still have a ways to go.

What l learned in detail about real hardy historical and species roses (good to -30-35 C with no cane damage) that provide a start, but not that easily commercially available, and where to find them - has come from connecting with regional top tier amateurs and from their gifted examples.

Good luck, as it is an interesting passion.

I used to grow Louise Bugnet and it was hybridized by Cdn amateur who lived even further north than l do.

Hi Seaside, though have not been to ?Malta? l imagine it can be a reverse of my cold climate challenges as in dry and hot in summer.

The list was the first major campaign to get a grip on what varieties look promising to cross and germinate up here and with a beginner’s skill set … one can only read so much until its time “to do it”, tweak methods and hopefully produce a building block result to continue with. Still far away but at least moving the right direction.

Thanks @RikuHelin.

You really have challenges to deal but as you said, you’re in the right direction. Thank you for your feedback.

I live in the North of Spain and my zone would be like an 8b according to the USDA zonning. Cold isn’t a limiting factor, the challenges here would be powdery mildew pressure and the scorching sun of Summer.

@SeasideRooftop good luck with your germinations too!

Greetings.