2018 Germinations

I have germinations of R.palustrus from seed collected in Carolina, also 'Rosa rugosa Thunb from seed collected in Norway.

Here is one of the first crosses. U1 V59 :- Therese Bugnet X [ Westerland X (Charles Austin X (Mimas X R.virginiana)]
U1 V59.jpg

Another just germinated:-

Therese Bugnet X (Archimedes X Avalanche Rose)

Therese Bugnet X (The Firebird X Apache)

Some seedlings which have germinated this year.
2018 SEEDLINGS.jpg

Some germinations
Therese Bugnet X Sutters Gold . I am looking for some incredible perfume from this cross.
Therese Bugnet X Knockout

an interesting seedling germinated for me today Therese Bugnet X a seedling of Ross Rambler 4. This is a pic of the pollinator, I would say its a self pollinated seedling and almost looks true to Ross Rambler 4.
Ross Rambler No. 4 3.jpg

Seedlings germinated over the week end

Whiz Kid X (Mme Lombard X Sweet as Honey)
Therese Bugnet Type 1 X (Archimedes X Avalanche)
Therese Bugnet Type 1 X [Westerland X (Charles Austin X (Mimas X R.virginiana))] . This has done well, 12 seedlings so far.
Therese Bugnet Type 1 X (The Firebird X Apache)
Therese Bugnet Type 1 X (Ithaca X Atomik)
Therese Bugnet Type 2 X La Merveille Écarlate
Therese Bugnet Type 1 X Crepuscule
Fru Dagmar Hastrup (T) Type 1 X [Bamako X (Sympathie X R. virginiana)

I have about 5 seedlings of Rotes Phänomen up as well.

Rotes Phänomen, looks interesting on HMF Warren, do you have the plant or just OP seeds ?

Hi Warren
Wow! Thérèse Bugnet seems generous for you! Your cross of (Thérèse Bugnet x a seedling of Ross Rambler #4) is inspiring. I think I will copy it this summer, but with the pollen of my RR #4. What do you mean by Thérèse Bugnet type 1 and Thérèse Bugnet type 2, what is the difference?

In 2016, I have pollinated Thérèse Bugnet with the pollen of R. fedtschenkoana just for a test. And surprise, 7 seedlings have been produced among 45 seeds from 2 fruits. The four more vigorous among them that I have kept, are presently still under 4 feet of snow. I don’t know how they will have appreciated their first winter. I will see it at the beginning of May!

Last summer, I have used the pollen of Louise Bugnet, the daughter of Thérèse, on some flowers and also on my own rugosa seedlings. Here is a list of those that have germinated since two weeks:

Le Cid x Louise Bugnet
Wasagaming x Louise Bugnet
Ross Rambler #14 x Louise Bugnet
Roseraie de l’Haÿ x Louise Bugnet
Semis A x Louise Bugnet
123B-2 x Louise Bugnet
11AL-2 x Louise Bugnet
00MB x Louise Bugnet
01HL-2 x Louise Bugnet

The daughter seems as generous as her mother…?!

David these are seedlings from Belgium seed sent to me.

Aimbeault the T1/ T2. T1 produces more hips than that of T2. Your Louise Bugnet should produce something of interest.

Germinated last night Therese Bugnet T1 X Safrano

[quote=“Warren”]David these are seedlings from Belgium seed sent to me.quote]
Thanks Warren, it will be interesting to see where this one takes you or you take it.

Thank you Warren for this clarification.

Seedlings germinated overnight

Therese Bugnet X Crepuscule
Fru Dagmar Hastrup (T) Type 1 X R.willmottiae

A 2018 germination
2018 SEEDLING.jpg

I been given a glorious Easter present , seedlings from the cross U22 V106 (Sympathie X R.virginiana) X Hulthemia persica.
U22 V106 SEEDLINGS.jpg

I have some more of :
Therese Bugnet X Safrano
Virginiana Hybrid X Hulthemia persica

A new one for today:
Virginiana Hybrid X R. glauca

been given a glorious Easter present , seedlings from the cross U22 V106 (Sympathie X R.virginiana) X Hulthemia persica.

Wow. It took Cocker and Harkness decades to get the first four hulthemias to market. You have the right climate for it, best of luck with downstream crosses.

Thanks Don; I read an article from C & H that Hulthemia persica was better as a seed parent, I found that Hulthemia persica hips ripened in half the time of normal rose cultivars which most of the seedlings from hybrid crosses died around one month post germination. I came up with the conclusion that the time needed for rosa emryo’s to develop fully the time factor must be extended to that needed by the Hulthemia. By using Hulthemia persica as a pollinator you have greater numbers to be created in hybrids, due to the amount of pollen grains Vs. seed parent ovules available, and with rosa being used as the seed parent the time factor if hip ripening is extended, rosa genes within the hybrids have time to develop properly.

Cheers Warren