2007 confirmed takes

The prickles are large, sparse and down-curved. Mine is from the Tualitan Valley (the valley Im in, which is the west half of Portland metro). It is the same variation throughout the valley. The ones at the coast (Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park, etc up to Astoria) are much shorter plants with darker blooms. It’s always funny to me because the other native species do not vary so much from microclimate to microclimate.

That certainly sounds like californica. I don’t know about rose species in Oregon, but the only native species in California that has curved prickles is californica.

I just noticed some other crosses in this thread that sound very interesting:

Persian Sunset X Baby Love

Perle d Or X (OP Bract X Clino)

Midnight Blue X 4th of July

Please keep us posted on how these turn out!

Yup, I know it is. Ive stared at many random variations long enough on hikes to know lol. Ive also seen what looks like interspecies hybrids. Ive even seen some sterile species in some places.

Re: Midnight Blue x Fourth of July, I’m hoping for different shades of purple stripes. That would be great.

Liz’s new thread reminded me that I should have put up what parents worked best, and which work worst.

Excellent set for 2007:

Tatton

Rosa californica

Rosa rugosa alba

Cherry Meidiland

Toprose

Livin’ Easy

Sevilliana (Buck)

Sheer Elegance

Henry’s Blend

Surprising sets, which usually abort:

Escapade

Purple Heart

Worst set:

Kanegem

Touch of Class

Rosa primula

Rosa chinensis ‘Bengale Fire’ (aborted like 30 attempts lol)

Rosa banksia lutescens (no brainer on that one)

Rosa virginia (shot blanks, oddly)

Rosa roxiburghii normalis (too young, I think)

Usually set, but aborted more than usual:

American Honor

Daybreaker

Jim, it’s real nice to see that the Livin’ Easy X R. kordesii seeds served you well. How are they behaving as parents? (Or parent?)

Did you raise anything from it yet?

Please post pics.

I still have the pic of the very first bloom. Now that years have passed, I would like to see a matured flowered. (If it’s available.)

Next year, I’m planning to make a cross of Livin’ Easy X (R. kordesii X Basye’s Amphi).

Take care.

Livin’ Easy x R. kordesii sounds like a winner cross! What does it look like?

Enrique, I got about 2 dozen seedlings from the Livin’ Easy X R. kordesii seeds that you sent me. I eventually discarded all but two. One of them has red double flowers; the other has pink double flowers. Both have very glossy foliage and some fragrance. The red one is the better of the two. It is healthier and more vigorous than the the pink one. Both get some mildew in the Spring, and a little rust in the Fall, but not enough to be a real problem. I’ve never seen blackspot on either, but blackspot isn’t much of a problem here. This was the first year I’ve tried to use them in crosses. Both set hips pretty well. I hope the seeds germinate. The flowers in the first flush on the red one had vegetative centers, so I didn’t get anything from them. The second flush was normal and set hips well.

I don’t have any recent photos. I will probably try to root some cuttings from the red one this Winter. Please let me know if you would like one.

The red one sounds interesting…

You know, why not?

If you could root me one, that wouldn’t go bad with me.

Although, I’m a bit sad that it does get some mildew. But, oh wells… as long it isn’t a bother.

I have rooted Abe Darby X Basye’s Amphi to trade.

I think it would be very interesting to cross it with this seedling, and the kordesii X Basye Amphi seedling too.

Enrique, mildew and rust are worse here near the coast than where you are. I think that you will like the red seedling. I’d be happy to trade for an Abe Darby X Basye’s Amphidiploid. I don’t know how well the red seedling will root. I haven’t tried it before, and its canes are on the thin side. Thin canes don’t seem to root as well for me as thicker canes.

Well, I guess we have to wait…

In any case, I got the darby x basye seedlings rooted out. All they need is time to grow for a little bit before I start shipping it out to people.