Yes

A few weeks ago a similar video from Ireland was viewed with the same theme. Modern farming is with dead soil. The idea is to return to a living soil with lots of microbes, less machines, work and water.

In my case cottage gardening is preferred, so thick the weeds are not a problem. The last two beds got away from me.

Under the weeds the soil is still moist. Pulled a 12inch root of dandelion out the other day.

I don’t use alfalfa or others, tried different things on small samples and no difference was seen. If it’s a good seedling it’ll grow and I only like that kind.

Neil

I find this experience chaotic, everything is so variable.

When you don’t water or feed it is very apparent which roses need pampering, so this narrows the scope.

Don Juan and Mr. Lincoln have a lot of rust, Sun Downer is a mildew mess, so any seed pods from those get trashed.

Meanwhile Keith’s Delight seedlings are variable with potential but may get too big. Here is N-16, looks better than last years photo and thornless so far but that could change. The only pink so far but others are yet to flower even on large plants.
keiths delight 003.JPG
keiths delight 004.JPG

Congratulations, Neil! I am so envious of an in-ground seedling bed! You have some very attractive seedlings there.

Kim, come to Australia, we have plenty of room for your “inground seedling bed”. We also have a bed for you.

Regards David.

Thank you, David. But, I’ve seen some of the “critters” Simon has dealt with and think my moles, gophers, rabbits and squirrels are actually preferable. Plus, the only snake in my garden is a Pacific Racer, non poisonous, and the only poisonous spider is the Black Widow which I seem to be pretty good at dissuading from setting up house. You have a few too many strange and threatening critters for my tastes.

Thanks Kim,

It is fortunate this year the rains come at just the right times to keep things growing. We had extended hot weather and I thought about watering but was waiting till more of the bed was weeded and now it’s been raining for hours. This shot is of a HT light pink eight petal flower I never thought much of but if it grows like this while setting hips I have to reconsider. At one foot spacing there is plenty of room at this time.

Neil

Du, over worked And forgot the photo.
2014 003.JPG

Tempted to water but why bother.

These purples tend to fade out but at least one didn’t.
purple 001.JPG
purple 002.JPG

Some to share. These are for the color of course.
2014 002.JPG
2014 001.JPG
2014 003.JPG

Nice, strong yellows!

Planted 25 mini type seedlings in a raised bed last year and all turned out duds or died.

From the new bed. The yellow is pollen from K-K-Ketchup and M-M-Mustard less than a foot tall. The cup shape is more red than the photo. 11/2 inch flower, nine buds and less than a foot tall. The last is what it is, 4" flower.

Still waiting for flowers on a few.
2014 002.JPG
2014 001.JPG
2014 003.JPG

Hi Neil, it we be interesting to see how the yellow one at the top progresses.

Regards David.

Hi David,

This is the second round of bloom for the yellow. To start the flowers had less petals and a rather distorted look and barely off the ground. The second plant in this series has a lot in common with the yellow and I think is a sibling. K and M is a poor plant here. One of those that needs a lot of fertilizer.

So Neil, you use Rainbow Sorbet… How is it for you? It is very vigorious here although it’s oldest leaves drop from BS. I got several hips on it from Heirloom and Peace. Not my usual crosses but worth a try… Any guesses on how they will look like? I hope the picotee carries through with the vigour. You have some truly wonderful new roses I am sooooo jealous.

RS needs a lot of sun and cross with something cleaner, then pick the best. Heirloom is not that great for breeding but you might get a passable on RS. I dumped Peace but use Chicago Peace sometimes. For me the result is a big flower but pale but crossed to RS should be interesting.

Just seen a bee land on N-26 and then to a mini and on to a big red Patented rose, I would never have thought of that combination. Bees only visit fragrant flowers.

Well from looking on the top, Heirloom produced hips full of developing seeds, some even coming out of the top! Perhaps that s a good thing, so I will have a better chance of something that is not bad.

The best greenish flowers so far. It’s enough to have health, vigor and the color at this point.

The last is one of 6-8 that had proliferation and the test is long term to see if this type can grow and look better without feeding. Has a current cane 3ft. with bud.
green 001.JPG
green 002.JPG
green 005.JPG