Yellows...

I forgot to note that Queen Lucia of Light passes on blackspot really badly. It has modern descendants by Kordes that are far healthier and similarly hardy.

Paul the R. pimpinellifolia lutea would probably be ok, the others are definitely diploid. The others may be difficult to work with, but if you want to take a new direction in obtaining some thing, you have to try, try again. If it wasn’'t for the persistance of Harkness and the others with the developement of Hulthemia Hybrids, we wouldn’t be seeing a rose with a very unique flower. I was told there was fertility problems with Canary Bird, I pollinated a few blooms, got one hip and 2 seeds. I only need one of those to germinate and grow. Years ago I crossed Moulin Rouge with Euphrates, people say Euphrates is sterile, but this crossed produced two seedlings, both were shovelled because of the severe PM problem. Last spring I did a (Unnamed seedlingX Euphrates) had a wonderful hip forming untill the birds chewed it off, but I will try and try again, I have done it twice and it is possible.

You’re welcome David, but what would you do? Look them up on HMF as I did. Reading and becoming familiar with things, you develop the background knowledge for some of it, but to document the “proof”, you still need the actual, established dates to prove the validity of your feeling/thought/idea. Personally, had I been searching for that intense yellow, I wouldn’t have selected any of the other yellows because they don’t offer the saturation of yellow, nor do their foliage types seem to offer anything which would improve HT or HP foliage quality to my mind. Foetida has deeper, brighter, glossier color than any of the others. Not that I don’t find the others attractive, because I DO, but not to “improve” Hybrid Teas past where they were a century ago. To explore in search of other answers, including yours about black spot resistance, fragrance, foliage and other pigment variations they may provide, definitely.

You are right Warren; all it takes is one viable plant that’s fertile to keep making progress towards your goal. I didn’t mean to imply that it would be impossible to use the diploid Pimpinellifoliae species, just that it has been very difficult to use them so far. They just haven’t been very willing to cross with species outside their section or with named cultivars. It maybe possible that right seed parent just hasn’t been used yet with these species and like you say persistence is the key.

5 years ago I made a Marie Pavie x R.blanda cross and got about 10 seedlings and was real excited about them. It turned out they were all OP seedlings and none of them were from that cross. I tried the same cross the next year and got 8 or 9 seedlings, but this time 4 of them were definitely from the cross. 2 of them had compatibility issues with weird looking growth and I culled them. But 2 of them grew well. The one that I was the most excited about turned out to be completely sterile and I had to cull it. This left one that seamed to have viable pollen but was female sterile. I used its pollen on a number of plants in 2010 but nothing took. I used its pollen again last year and I have seedlings from two different seed parents, one being a half sibling and the other being Bonica.

Good luck with your efforts with Euphrates

people say Euphrates is sterile

Here on HMF Euphoria is reported to be a descendant of Euphrates. Euphrates is a very very difficult one to use in breeding it goes without say!!

I had always wanted to try using Golden Glow in hybridizing but never made it that far. Its actually a nice yellow even though its only a once blooming rose. I always thought it might be a good cross with some of the nifty modern yellows that Kim was mentioning. It has a strong dose of Wichurana and has long fairly flexable canes. My goal had always been trying to hybridize a cold hardy climbing yellow and was going to use golden glow with the hardy roses like Hazeldean, J5, Beauty of Leafland etc. Was going to cross it with some Buck Roses too. I still have it growing in my back yeard and keep thinking I am going to try hybridizing again. Its being overgrown by Dornroschern right now though.

-Steve

Seen a planting of at least 100 yellow roses and there was two or three that was about as yellow as you could get and two or three pale yellow all of the same rose. Later while getting hips ended up with some nasty prickles in the fingers which makes me think they are the same rose I have in my garden (unknown at this time). All of these where budded or grafted and makes a person wonder if somehow the rose by itself changed. Cuttings of cuttings.

Neil

Does anyone have any experience with either ‘Presto’ or ‘Limoncello’? Recently got those at a good price and was wondering what I might expect from 'em. (I can’t say as they are immune to BS, but given Belinda’s Dream and other Earthkinds are suffering as well…)

Howdy all, has any one done any work with Gold Marie? Seems to be good bloomer and foliage pics on HMF look pretty good.

Nothing that’s germinated, unfortunately. Golden Holstein is the most saturated yellow here, though I no longer have it. Gold Marie promises a lot, but her pollen hasn’t worked on anything yet.