Yellows that fade and/or are single

I assume that many amateur hybridizers have had yellow roses that faded quickly to white or were single; and because of either or both characteristics did not try to get the plant introduced.

Apparently, Radler is introducing in 2008 a Sunny Knock Out:

http://www.theknockoutrose.com/factsheets/sunnyKnockOut.Doc

Low and behold - guess what characteristics it has?

Perhaps it will be useful for further yellow breeding because of its disease resistance and hardiness. Does anyone know if its sets open pollinated hips or is receptive to foreign pollen?

Link: www.theknockoutrose.com/factsheets/sunnyKnockOut.Doc

Thanks for providing that link Henry. I’m not a huge fan of pink singles but yellows and peaches are great. Hopefully the parentage will be released on this one.

Oddly enough, it’s a shade of yellow that blends well in the perennial border. Although I have no clue why they introduced it since Carefree Sunshine fills the same exact niche.

What would be nice is a shrublet the color of Elina-- pale primrose that neither fades or darkens with age.

I second that Jadae!

btw Star Roses is introducing an orange Carefree rose,but I forgot the name. It looked like a melon orange toned version of Carefree Sunshine.

Maybe if it is hardy enough, ya’ll up north will have some more pelargonidin to work with in your hardy hybrids.

Ah, I found it again:

Carefree Celebration- the rest is in such fine print that I cannot read it…

Carefree Celebration. See:

http://www.chambleeroses.com/xcart/product.php?productid=344&cat=3&page=4

Link: www.chambleeroses.com/xcart/product.php?productid=344&cat=3&page=4

What a pretty color.

Notice the patent # for Carefree Celebration is about half that of Knock Out indicating that it has been round somewhere for a while. (assuming the listed # is correct in Chamblee’s site).

Hmm. I wonder if this is supposed sport of Knock Out found by Mark Chamblee from Chamblee Rose Nursery. It was going to be introduced by Conard Pyle and Mark had to hold back selling it at his nursery until July of this year he said when I met him in January. It was found among a group of Knockout plants. The original idea was that it was a sport. Blushing Knock Out is a sport found by another propagator, but Bill got the credit for it as well. Perhaps this rose has the same arrangement. DNA analysis that Mark had done at Texas A&M points to it not being a sport. Perhaps it is an op seedling.

I look forward to growing it whatever this one is.

Sincerely,

David

That isnt the patent #. PPAF means that it does not have a patent # yet. Im guessing the # beside it is an order #, especially since that size of patent # is pre-1980s. Also, the parentage and plant dimensions are very different.

lol I was looking at the pic again. I bet it is related to something like Honeysweet. It’s the same shade of orange found in a few Buck roses-- like watermelon and cantaloupe collided into a frenzied blur of fresh fruit :slight_smile:

I purchased a plant of Carefree Celebration today. The reason that I purchased it is because it had 1 branch with a flower half pure yellow, half coral (sort of like 2 flowers were cut in half ( 1 yellow, 1 coral) and then glued together). The other 2 flowers on that branch were still in bud, but they looked yellow.

I thought Carefree Celebration was orange/red blend and that it wasn’t available until Janurary 2008. If it is indeed Carefree Celebration you may have a sport that is disease resistant yellow. How nice that would be. Good luck.

Patrick

It is my experience that some of our larger nurseries get a limited fall delivery of “next years roses”. In addition to the possibility of my having a sport, I will cross Carefree Celebration with my “R-15 Coral (see below)” to try to get a repeat blooming offspring.

http://picasaweb.google.com/HAKuska/HenrySRoses/photo#5068891277899026578

Link: picasaweb.google.com/HAKuska/HenrySRoses/photo#5068891277899026578

Oh wow, do I love that color. That is beautiful. I guess I better start going to the local nurseries and look around. Good luck with that cross Henry.

Patrick

Henry,

How does the color last on your R-15 Coral? I have been thinking alot about roses that are in that color range of late. I wonder how roses like that might help when trying to establish a deeper yellow looking rose.

I am assuming it has not experienced winter yet for you. I am curious to see how it fares this winter. You are in northern Illinois arent you? How do you plan to treat it this winter?

How has this rose done with respect to disease?

It would be interesting for me to see how it would do if R-15 Coral were crossed with your Prairie Harvest X R-15.

SteveJ, unfortunately, the color fades in strong sunlight. This is its second season. Last years picture is at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/HAKuska/RosePictures/photo#5091602093875190434

I am in northeast Ohio, zone 5. I do not winter protect.

I have 1 hip from your suggested cross (see row 58 in the following spreadsheet).

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pxHhTw7ylg782w9GDTC48Sg&hl=en

I have to list it as OP + (Folksinger X Illusion) X R-15 (the R-15 Coral) because I did not get to the flower early enough to be sure that it does not have some seeds that are due to self-pollination.

Link: spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pxHhTw7ylg782w9GDTC48Sg&hl=en